Your partner's running support

81 to 94 of 94 messages
28/06/2003 at 19:18
Mrs S doesn't mind me running and as I live in the North of Scotland racing every other weekend isn't really an option. I do have a couple of trips away to races, over to Ireland twice so far for marathons which she left me to go on my own.
She and the family are coming with me to Dublin this year though for the marathon, but she still expects me to walk the city with them looking at stuff when in actual fact I will be resting up - should lead to interesting discussions.
She actually thinks I am a bit daft wanting to run 26.2 miles but it has now become a way of life and so she actually nags me to get out running before I get too grumpy from not going.

28/06/2003 at 20:07
Did I say my partner was supportive? I take it all back as we had mega row about his negative attitude to my running last night.

I cannot fathom out why running 4-5 times a week is not OK but watching telly every night is. Both activities mean not doing something else with the family.
Furious and refuse to compromise on this, women do enough fitting their lives around other people's needs as it is.
I'll update when reconciliation has occurred!
28/06/2003 at 20:16
As regards support from my partner for my running, I think I must be the luckiest woman in the world.

Even when he was diagnosed with serious heart disease, he came along to cheer me on at races, hold my tracksuit, commiserate with disappointing times and share the bubbly if it was a pb.

He never, never moaned when weekend long runs took precedence over any other activity.

He washes my sweaty kit.

No, he is not available for sale or loan.

PS, after a determined, gentle rehab programme he managed to plod the Manchester 10k in 68 mins and I was SO proud of him.

28/06/2003 at 20:30
Laura, sorry to hear about your mega argument. I get it all the time and it takes some of the enjoyment out of running.

I've had it from both of my wives (not at the same time I might add!)

One minute you are on a high, having had a good run or just because you're feeling good. The next minute a well placed sarcastic or cynical comment spoils it.

We shouldn't have to compromise as very few of us train for more than 5 or 6 hours per week and I'm pretty certain that most couch potato partners spend more time than that sat in front of the telly.

I could say more but I'm not one to moan!
28/06/2003 at 20:33
Laura can I join the club? - my marathon training is causing no end of trouble with the other half and I've only just bloody started...
28/06/2003 at 22:10
Sorry to hear about all the discord but you have made me feel a lot happier.It is lovely to hear how kind & thoughtful partners can be but it does heighten the gloom about my own situation. Hope all's well again Laura

Made the decision not to race ever again after last night. Chest is stuffed as ran while coughing up nasties & having general confidence crisis.Seems like THE solution at the moment
28/06/2003 at 22:14
NO
NO

Blotts mate, laura, drew

WHY SHOULD|YOU STOP

Now i havent got kids, but am a Dr, so joib quite demanding

Run early am

have been living alone last few months, no prob

Now hubby moaning

sorry, i have supported him fo SOO long, financially and mentally
i dont even do 4 hours a week

i do all the cooking etc

Bet laura and blotts mate do too
its the only thing that keeps me sane

so, if he dont like it--------------
28/06/2003 at 22:17
Claps!

Hear hear hippo!
28/06/2003 at 22:25
i have only ever shouted at hubby twice in 14 years of being together
the second time was about running
28/06/2003 at 23:54
Crikey, you must be a saint Hippo, I shout regularly!

Sorry to moan, Drew, it's also out of character for me to complain in public. If you're getting sarcasm that does suggest there is an attitude problem; wish everyone could be proud of each other's ambitions and achievements.

This seems to have touched a nerve with some. Zilla, sorry you're also having probs, please do join the club. your sense of humour is probably a good antidote to fury.

Blott's mate, please don't give up racing, sounds like you already have to work hard to maintain peace and harmony at home. If your confidence is low, running may help keep it up.

PS. Off to put on my 'no, YOU started it' T-shirt.
29/06/2003 at 08:16
Not giving up running just racing

29/06/2003 at 08:34
How do your partners feel about your time on here then? I get more hassle about being on here "talking" to you lot than from my actual running.

I've been trying to get Mrs S out running for a while now, so long as she comes back, and in May she did her first ever fun run of 2 miles. She was happy and so was I but she has not been out agsin since. Retire at the top or something.

What was that about sarcastic comments to the other half? It's not being nasty, just constructive critisism.
29/06/2003 at 09:55
Mine doesn't seem to mind me on the PC. He's usually gazing aimlessly at the tv downstairs anyway. At least this is interactive!
29/06/2003 at 11:09
When my other half realised that forumites did not seem to be axe-wielding potential stalkers, but instead they are fellow runners full of useful information and support, he was OK. Telling him the Friday joke from URWFRC thread helped too.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 94 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.