100 Marathon Club

Who is a member?

41 to 58 of 58 messages
19/04/2013 at 15:43

Kryten, I've read this book and it is is a really interesting quick read. Some of the stories are very inspiring.

08/05/2013 at 21:21

Though I found it very funny that the author (who coaches shorter distances) starts out very dubious about this running lots of marathons lark. Then she interviews a lot of 100 marathon club peeps (interesting, whether or not you've met them) and... remains very dubious about this running lots of marathons lark!

09/05/2013 at 17:49

well i'm still a baby and have just completed number 6 but Traviss is the man,

He does 100milers I am in awe of him

I have met quite a few of the 100 marathon clubbers even celebrated a couple of people's 100th marathon and have to say on the whole they are a great crowd, what I love about them is the last time I got my PB at one of the enigma events ( which is where u will find a wealth of 100 marathon clubbers ) is that alot of them took the time to come over and congratulate me on doing a PB even tho it was 4hours 55 so no fast marathon but you know they made me feel like i had some something so special and were so pleased for me 

hopefully one day I will get there but think it will take me a good number of years to get there lol but hey ho, only 94 to go haha

Britrisky    pirate
01/11/2013 at 23:27

But my burning question is - how do you know how many marathons you can do in a year safely, without injury, without actually doing more than this amount, and then getting injured?

What I mean is, how do you know what your limit is before you've over-stepped it, and wished you hadn't?

02/11/2013 at 00:10

In a sort of reverse, I'm on 94     

Britrisky    pirate
02/11/2013 at 00:18

Well done, TH - but how did you know how much your legs could handle? Did you just keep entering races and managing to pull them off (the races, that is, not your legs ) and so entered more and more, closer together?

02/11/2013 at 00:30

Just entered them and got on with it.  Only ever had one injury as a result of overworn shoes in the heel.  If I needed to adapt my running in a marathon I did so, ie the pace.  Some runs are a breeze to be honest and in others they have been pretty demanding.  Where there have been difficulties it has nearly always been a result of a poor strategy on my part.  I don't think there is a science to it, let your body do the talking and react to it.

02/11/2013 at 07:01

Cougie, yeah Ironman events count! 

I started off in 2000 when I did my 1st, then it was 1 a year, then 2 a year, then 3 then thought why am I killing myself running all these boring 20 milers when I could get a medal? It's taken me till now to get to 95 but still the odd PB pops up even doing 10/15 a year. Hopefully 100 next year at Taunton but I'm itching to get on with it now. 

Theres many guys who can run 50/100 a year which really is increadable but finance and arthitic toe joints don't allow me to, so I just aim for 1-2 a month but I race every one like its my first, if there's a number stuck to me I can't help myself. this saves me training for onethen I can mix up my training with cycling and swimming = ironman. That's a hard way to clock up 1 marathon tho.  

Traviss, he is a crazy man!!! Runs more 100m races than I run marathons! (yes I'm jealous)

also theres a chap Rik Vercoe who just ran 34 marathons (some Ultra) then on day 35 pb'd with his first sub 3 (2.56) there really are some increadable people about. Chat to some, ask, there really are some inspirational people running amongst us. 

PSC    pirate
02/11/2013 at 07:50

and a few headcases!

Britrisky    pirate
02/11/2013 at 11:32

Sounds doable with the right head on. Did two last year, have done two so far this year, plus Outlaw and Portsmouth planned for Dec, so maybe I could ... 

I like the idea of racing each one, rather than just churning them out - I guess there's always a need for balance - I wouldn't want to lose the pleasure of it ... But the kudos of the T shirt ... Beats my 50 Parkruns hands down!

02/11/2013 at 11:57

I'm up to 94 half-marathons - could I have half the t-shirt?

02/11/2013 at 12:20

As of last Sunday, I became a 100 marathon club member. 

It is certainly not easy, or cheap!, but well worthwhile.

One hard lesson I have learned is that you can run 20+ marathons a year, but you can't race them, or at least I can't.

Britrisky    pirate
02/11/2013 at 12:33

Well done, TH - but how did you know how much your legs could handle? Did you just keep entering races and managing to pull them off (the races, that is, not your legs ) and so entered more and more, closer together?

Britrisky    pirate
02/11/2013 at 12:35

Great job, Ian! Feeling inspired, now! 

02/11/2013 at 12:40

When I damaged my heel I was told to rest 4 monthsish and I did.  Usually do 10-12 a year, peaked at 13, less when I first started in 2003.  I think you were correctin that I just managed to pull them off. My last marathon saw me beat my previous pb which I set over six years ago (3.25.33).  I still see the potential to beat that on the right run next year - Manchester, York, Killarney?  Two more this year just to push up to 96 and then a better training schedule up to April.

02/11/2013 at 12:59

It took me just over five years to reach  100 marathons.  I started off by trying to do 12 in 12 months then just caught the bug.   Think  I'm on about 115 now  which includes  a fair few ultras..   

28/11/2013 at 20:13
Interesting to come back and read this now, as I'd just done 6 when I last posted, now I'm up to 22

I've been running one every 2 weeks and your legs do get used to it, pb's do go out the window but I just love running marathons and meeting folks, kept costs down by sharing accommodation, staying with friends and in the warmer months camping
28/11/2013 at 20:25
Isee)

I've been running one every 2 weeks and your legs do get used to it, pb's do go out the window but I just love running marathons and meeting folks, kept costs down by sharing accommodation, staying with friends and in the warmer months camping

I dont agree to that... Since i've started running more marathons- my times have actually come down. I think it's due to weight loss as well as increasing my training mileage.

You're right though - your legs get used to it and it's half the fun of running the marathon is the weekend around it!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 58 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.