10K Helping Heroes 'Festival of Running'

Aldershot, Hampshire

21 to 38 of 38 messages
19/02/2008 at 00:41

Thanks to all those who entered the race and supported the cause.  Grateful for your feedback as I am one of the organisers.  There are many lessons to be learned as this was the first time we had organised the event and your comments are all valid and will be noted.  Some were given consideration before hand - confectionery and medals at the finish for example.  It was agreed that we  should not rob the cause of money and will try harder next year to secure sponsorship for this aspect of the event.  I think we could have stretched to water at the finish though.  A good point!  10K results will be posted on  http://www.theresults.co.uk/running_results.html courtesy of HS Sports.  We have requested that provisional results appear tomorrow, so please keep checking.  We took £3000 in entry fees yesterday and believe we are set to  raise £20,000 for the appeal.  The relatives of injured service personnel will really benefit from our efforts and your support.  Please send any sponsorship (asap) in the form of a cheque made payable to 4 Div Welfare fund,  to SSAFA Helping Heroes and their Families HQ Aldershot Garrison, Wellington House, St Omer Bks, Aldershot GU11 2BG.

The measurement of the course will be corrected next year.  It was originally driven by the need to have one start and finish point for the 3k and 10k races - due to the cost of electronically timing both races.   I apologise to all those who thought they had achieved a PB.  You are welcome to return to run a very slightly longer route next year!  Details and dates of next year's event to follow.  Please let your friends know that this is one to keep an eye open for next year.  We are thinking of staging it in May/June any thoughts on that? Thank you again for your positive comments and suggestions about how the event can be improved and developed. 

19/02/2008 at 07:35

Thanks for coming on here and posting Kate. I think  having water at the finish and an accurately measured course will make this a superb race. The route is excellent, parking was no problem (and free!!!) and the encouragement from marshalls was great. To be honest, I'm not really bothered about a medal as I would sooner the money went to the appropriate cause and it looks as if a really great amount was raised. As for moving the race to May/June. It would be a little bit warmer then, but within 5 minutes of the race starting I was sweating like a sweaty thing on a hot sweaty day. You don't get many 10K's around February time so it was a bit of a novelty really.

Keep posting on here. It's always good to involve runners and get their thoughts when organising races.

19/02/2008 at 08:42
Enjoyed the race only surprised re the various undulations as was advertised as flat, water at end would be lovely. Definately do this one again and a brilliant cause, thankyou.
19/02/2008 at 08:57
Yep - thanks for your feedback Kate.   I'll try and enter it the race whenever it is held.    Timing of races I guess is always tricky.   My initial motivation for looking for a race in February was that it was part of my post Christmas / New Year fitness drive and as part of my training for the Reading 1/2 marathon that is on 2 March this year.  I guess some others might have used this as prep for other races (e.g London Marathon).   At the moment I think your race has found a nice little niche spot in the Calander and might capture some people who were looking for a run for the same reasons as me and so the February timing was good.   Having said that, I know that there are lots of variables to take into account when organising events and I'll try and enter it whenever it is held.   Even with the course adjusted I still reckon it will be a fast run.  I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure it will continue to be a great fund raising event for SSAFA Helping Heroes.  Cheers.       
19/02/2008 at 09:01
If it was moved to May/June it could be combined with a BBQ to make it a really fun day out. A beer festival as well perhaps. The possibilities are endless.
19/02/2008 at 09:25
May i suggest that you reduce the entry fee and return to manual timing systems as are still used at a number of big races such as the Stubbington 10K.  I am sure all those PT Corps helpers are more than competent of recording the finish of a race.  They manage it every year at Army Championships and the results/prize giving are also just as quick.  I have heard much bad press about HS Sport and know I had many problems when I used them last year, it took almost a week for them to get the results correct!
19/02/2008 at 10:01

Thanks, Kate, for the feedback.. Please don't change too much of the event, because in essence, it was great. My top priorities would be a properly measured course, water at the end, quickly available results (I'm not bothered about chip timing) and a few more signs around the race HQ. I don't want medals, and if I feel like food/sweets afterwards, I'm happy to pay for them.

(I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned what to my mind was one of the best things about Sunday  - the delicious irony of the non-functioning starter's pistol. )

19/02/2008 at 10:18
Oh aye. I'd forgotten about the starter's pistol. What was better though, when they tried to stop the race to restart it.
19/02/2008 at 11:30

Please keep the comments coming.  I am tracking with interest.  We are meeting on Monday to discuss the future of this race and your suggestions (including having a working starter's pistol!) will be raised. 

19/02/2008 at 12:22

Kate

Apart from measured route and water at the end the race was just about perfect.

On moving the date,  May and June are already pretty busy months in the racing calendar and I'd agree with Richards comment about the potential to find a niche as it is.

Agree theres no need for a medal. But I think most runners quite like chip timing - especially if the course is accurate in future. Of course am in favour of reducing costs if timing can be done by other means, you'd probably get more entrants from the wider community too.

19/02/2008 at 12:28
Ditto everything CountMeOut has just said.
19/02/2008 at 17:03

The results are now up and look fine except they missed out that I'm over 40 (which is a good thing I suppose!)

Very well organised event Kate and glad to hear that it's going to happen again. I'm the bloke from SSAFA Aldershot by the way!!

19/02/2008 at 18:48

My daughter ran in the 3k event and although she knows her time, she doesn't know her position and she is keen to find out

Is there any intention to report the 3k results anywhere?

20/02/2008 at 11:46
One more request would be to have senior vets (50+) categories. I'm too old to compete effectively with these 40-year-old whippersnappers. Even if there are no prizes, it would be good to see how I compared with other oldies.
21/02/2008 at 10:38

Andy West - The 3k results are up on here too: http://www.ssafa.org.uk/fundraising.html

also the 10k results are there...

21/02/2008 at 10:41

Yep - the most important thing (essential) to revise would be for the distance to be correctly measured for 10K (and then the shorter distances to be advertised for whatever they turn out to be  - even if same finish point required for logistics etc.).    

Also, what 'count meout ' and 'blacktoenails' say above.

Just an observation really , I notice from the results that there didn't appear to be many club runners, although I saw a few shirts around the course.  I was wondering why this was ? (was it due to lay out of entry form? e.g.  asking for unit etc. but  not club  - I can't remember.  )  Either way, it might just be worth changing the form if so that that eveyone knows that everyone is welcome (club runners and 'unattached', as well as regulars and reservists etc) so that 'civilians' don't get put off by wrongly assuming that it is essentially an 'army event' (and so more entries) and so whoever colates the results can put the names of clubs in etc. (so runners can compare how they are doing to other clubs / to clubs etc.). Anyway, just a thought.

Look forwar to it next year. Cheers, Richard. 

22/02/2008 at 11:52

I noticed the apparent lack of club runners, too, but I'm pretty sure I put my club name on the entry form. It just didn't get added to the list of results.

22/02/2008 at 13:36

The form did have a space for that but it was a small form so as fees weren't lower here for club members I probably just skipped it. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.