10K Midlands Lung Run

1 to 20 of 33 messages
12/04/2008 at 08:43
Any forum members doing this one in a few weeks time, i'm on holiday from the day after and other half as told me i cn't take my running gear with me, so i am going to enjoy this one.
17/04/2008 at 00:08

Yep, im booked for this one, my very first race as well.  The distance isnt a problem for me, just the time I guess.  I'll be one of the last to finish if not last (estimating a 1:10 finish) but then that depends on how hilly it is.

Im nervous but very excited.  Just received my race number and chip so its becoming a reality now!!

17/04/2008 at 23:07

gutted. Been looking for my first race and this would have been ideal. oh well, search continues.

Good luck!

18/04/2008 at 10:31
im in! first 10k, disappointed at time for bath half so trying to motor this one to make me feel better.

anyone think the T shirts are massive? potential see through if it rains too.
18/04/2008 at 11:38
I'm hoping to do this one.  Does anyone know what the course is like - is it flat?  Potential PB?
18/04/2008 at 14:14
The Course is fairly flat as far as I know so there should be some good times to be set
20/04/2008 at 19:32

I have to confess I entered the 5k as its my first race for 23 years !!!

But I've been training and I'm hoping for an okay time and nervously looking forward to it. I thought it was fairly flat as well but with watching out for running through the wooded sections as they can tend to be a bit slippy stony like!

As based on the weather here a week prior and about 3 miles down the road, its wet! But of course with all of us lot turning up, it'll be great! Sun shining and no wind.....er, yeah....

Good luck to all and enjoy your race.

20/04/2008 at 22:25
Don't worry Dual Heritage, i'll be at the back to, not to far behind you in a manner of speaking i was aiming to get down to 16 stone as was 18 stone at christmas in preperation for this race, just a few pounds of 16 stone now, training has gone well just hope i can get around in 70 or so minutes like you. i have entered the wolverhampton half in september to keep me going. Off with the family the day after this for a few days on the coast at Minehead, and want to take my running gear as the appeal of running along a beach or besides the sea appeals as living in the middle of the country it's a bit hard to get to a beach The wife however says we maybe limited to space in the luggage so may have to take a rest week of my running shedule. Yes the t-shirts are big i put in for an XXL as i was just over 17 stone when i entered, now being a smig of 16 i look drowned in mine but it makes me look even more slimmer so can't complain.
21/04/2008 at 20:49

My t-shirt and number etc came today.

I also had a look at the map route - didn't mean much. I knew the entrances and a bit of the route but not much!

All seems very good and well organised so far...still nervous about it though!

Is anybody else doing 'just' the 5k or am I the only amateur?!

21/04/2008 at 21:37
I havent looked at the directions yet, will probably leave it to saturday night, and then get lost sunday, arive with in 30 minutes of the start and have a mad rush.
23/04/2008 at 09:40

Hi guys, first post on here. I'm running Sunday in this, never seen the course before but hopefully looking for a PB as apparently it's pretty flat lol. Hopefully (prob not) looking at under 45 mins. Does anyone know if its really crowded and hard to get half decent times?

23/04/2008 at 14:53
Does anyone know how many people are taking part in the 10K
23/04/2008 at 16:25

Im number 1595, apparently its limited to 7500???

Hopefully no more than 2000

23/04/2008 at 17:34

I have had a look at the surronding area and i am thinking of parking at the railway station or nearby multi storey in town and walking as part of my warm-up. don't know how much costs and i know the car parking is free at the event, but Mrs Mobley might want to look around Sutton Coldfield after.

24/04/2008 at 23:17

Steve - Well mate if you recognise me we can run it together!! You can carry me up the hills . No im serious, if you do regonise me give me a shout out and we can motivate each other. I might wear my black "dorunning" top but I hear its gonna be quite warmish so a short sleeve may be in order. Im number 1102.

I ran the course on Sunday with a group of runners in Sutton Coldfield, they have a thread in the clubhouse called "Nice Little Runs in Sutton Park". Ive ran with them a few times now and they are a fantastic group of runners, really welcoming.

The course is actually quite undulating, looking at the course map it suggests this 10k is 2 loops, previous 10k's at sutton park tend to go further up the park and then back down again. There are no major killer hills involved but it is a bit up and slight downs. All tarmac.

It starts going up hill and the finish is uphill which is a pain for people planning on sprint finishes...I aint planning on a sprint finish I can tell you. 

Anyway, i did it in 68 minutes

Edited: 24/04/2008 at 23:19
25/04/2008 at 08:36
I don't think people can say Sutton Park is 'flat!' from what I remember the course means you have to run up a pretty impressive hill near the start then it is slightly uphill to approx. the half way point. There are some downhill sections though!!
26/04/2008 at 16:31

Just popping back in to say good luck to all runners at the Lung Run tomorrow whether your doing the 10k, 5k or 2k.

Despite the promise of some rain, should be a good one. I'll just stick my tongue out if I need a drink!!

26/04/2008 at 20:49

Hey Dual

Good look tomorrow!  Enjoy the race!

Make sure you drink plenty water tonight, good breakfast in the morning and you will be fine!

Remember run at your own pace

27/04/2008 at 15:02

I found the thread!

I only ran a 5k; I'm a baby. It took me about 47 minutes, and I walked a good three quarters of it. Probably more. I loved that rain afterwards. Well, it's still going. Very refreshing.

Deis wrote (see)

I just ran 5km, to raise money for the British Lung Foundation. I did okay, but I really want to improve on it.

For a bit of background, my last run before this was for a mile, since I wanted to time myself. I ran for two minutes, walked for two minutes, ran for two minutes, walked for two minutes, ran for one minute, walked for one minute, then ran for 27 seconds. That's 10:27, with 5:27 of it running and five minutes of walking.

Two minutes was the most I've ever run in one go before, but I smashed that record today; I got up to three and a half. My main problem is outpacing myself, and because we all started together (Midlands Lung Run) I couldn't go as fast as I'm normally tempted to. So, I ran for three and a half minutes straight.

Was slightly downhill from there, though. I lost track, but near the end, I'd walk for six or seven minutes, and then run for one. Pretty sure I outpaced myself again. I'm also sure that I should have eaten more for breakfast, and I really need to get a water bottle I actually want to carry. I have one, it's just bulky and awkward to run with, so I tend to 'forget' it.

I know, I know, bad Deis.

Any tips on how I can learn to pace myself better? I think part of it is just not being able to tell how fast I'm going. How do you do that?

Oh, yeah, haven't got the official time, but I think it took me about 47 minutes.  Which is odd, because when I walk to the cinema (which is 1.4 miles away), I can cover that in around 27. 

Posted that in the 'my last run' thread before I found this one. ^
Edited: 27/04/2008 at 15:03
27/04/2008 at 19:17

Nothing 'Baby' ish about the 5k i ran it today and throughly enjoyed it and did a PB and got ok placing, I think. Will wait till Wednesday results day online till start counting chickens!!

Bit of a doughnut i pressed the wrong button on the stopwatch at the start heard it go beep and thought nowt of it! Some way round i looked at it to see it still on '0:00' AAAARggghhhhh! So no cue as to how fast, pace or whatever!

Had to admire the young girl who came in first 'Ladies/ child?' Apologies she was in front of me running like a hero so couldnt really tell! She looked young but what a talent!

So congrats to all who ran and enjoyed themselves, whatever the time/ placing!

Now, bring on Knowle..May 11th...

1 to 20 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.