2008 TrailPlus HellRunner: Hell Up North

For the love of mud

1 to 20 of 413 messages
20/02/2008 at 23:08

I'm seriously considering giving this a go, but have never done anything like it before. Only ever done a couple of xc's.. And I'm actually quite a wimp about getting my tootsies wet, and getting muddy... so I feel this could toughen me up!

Who's done it before, and was it a 'never again' experience or really, really fun?! 

And who fancies joining me?!

21/02/2008 at 02:44
not done it but it comes very highly recommended by a couple of friends. Mary and Elaine said the combination of superb scenery, ridiculous hills and thigh-deep water was irresistible and they had smiles on their faces all the way round.

i'm thinking of running it this year just to stop them calling me a wimp

just don't wear your best trainers
PP
21/02/2008 at 08:48

I've not done this race before but have aleady applied for Novembers race.

Running is supposed to be fun and this looks like a lot of fun! 

21/02/2008 at 09:57

I did this last year (in APRIL), and it was fantastic! Absolutely knackering, unlike anything due to its sheer vindictiveness and sadistic nature of the course builders, but it's also hilarious and great fun. I'm not sure how appealing winter bogs will be - nothing like wading through 500m of waist-high stink-water after 11miles of running - but I'm probably going to do this one again

It's one of the only race t-shirts I wear regularly, and wear with pride.

21/02/2008 at 12:24

Thanks everyone - I want to do it even more now!!

pp - well said, running is all about FUN, and what could possibly be more fun than running through stinky muddy water?!

Swittle - I think I need to do it just to prove to myself that I'm not a complete wimp!

I might even take the plunge and enter this weekend.....

Oh and a more practical question - I'm new on trail shoes / spikes / anything that's not road shoes..... are regular trail shoes ok for this?! Or does it not even really matter seeing as we'll all be slipping and sliding all over the place, drenched head to toe etc...? I only ordered my first pair this week (ooh the excitement! I also think it's a sign I should do this race...) so no idea what they'll be like and have never run in trail shoes before.

21/02/2008 at 20:40

I have done this twice now - both times have been thoroughly fantastic! Really hard towards the end due to soppy feet and trainers. Both occasions I ran in normal but older road trainers which were fine all the way through, just need to be careful on muddy and slippy slopes!!

Defo doing it again cos its just a great laugh! I thought i was doing quite well last year until i realised that the bloke who lost a shoe in a bog had just ran past me - one shoe on one shoe off - gutted, then came the buggering hill.....

The joys.... 

21/02/2008 at 23:20

So it's seriously a case of wearing old trainers in case you lose one in a bog?!?!

It really does sound like my idea of hell (I am the biggest baby once my feet are wet) and yet that masochistic side of me just wants to do it more and more! Heh heh.

Anyone else have input on the trainers issue?  

22/02/2008 at 09:31

I wore a pair of well-used trail shoes; they stayed on and got me round. The woman who I finished just in front of (after she urged me on at the hill too...oops) had the same pair as me; Asics trail shoes from decathlon.

However, I think in November the slipperiness of the mud banks etc. is going to require more grip. In some ways, fell shoes (like innov8s) might be preferable because they're nice and light and grippy. I remember very clearly, at about 9ish miles (although, of course, they don't have mile markers, nor do they tell you how far to go during the race), after wading up a stream the sheer weight of my shoes was just ridiculous.

Then again, the whole race is ridiculous.

I wouldn't want to trash my fell shoes though - they're so pretty - I'll probably wear the old trail shoes...

24/02/2008 at 18:28
i'm thinking of entering this race instead of the Sodbury Slog, which I have completed for the last 2 years- someone persuade me!!!!
24/02/2008 at 18:50

*great booming voice* ENTER HELLRUNNER, CONSTABLE-DIEFENBAKER *end booming voice*

That work?

25/02/2008 at 19:51

Thanks Bunny Phobia.  I've still not entered, agh. Must do soon before I change my mind up or remember that I am still sane!  I'll take that shouting at CD as shouting at me also....

I do all my training on roads, I should get some nasty muddy trail routes to train on before this shouldn't I? Especially now I have my nice new trail shoes to break in, oooh! Would be a shame if they were still 'new' by November...... 

25/02/2008 at 21:24
25/02/2008 at 23:17

swittle, that's not nearly muddy enough.

You need something more like:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Oct99/mastodonpix.html

26/02/2008 at 02:55
now that's what i call off-road, BP! lol

the criterion has to be: "Danger of drowning".
27/02/2008 at 18:05
Yikes!!!!!!!!
27/02/2008 at 18:13
I did it in 2006- my first not road race. It was fantastic. my only advice is to get muddy straight away. I spent the first half avoiding the mud then the last half a mile ended up chest deep in a bog. Skin was great the next day though!!! Weaar your oldest trainers that ou can bin after, I didn't bother with trail shoes. you may fall over, but you cant avoid the mud whatever you do!!!!!
28/02/2008 at 10:50

Did Hellrunner 2 years ago. There is a new series out now to challenge the Hellrunner sponsored by Saab Salomon (who used to sponsor the Hellrunner) so will be trying that this year

Looks just as good and is up in Scotland too.

Am going to give the Martinique one a go, wearing my old trainers to bin afterwards!

28/02/2008 at 18:34
I like the sound of wearing old trainers to bin afterwards a lot actually - I hate washing mud off trainers!

Moses - I've only ever done a couple of (v tame in comparison to this) cross country races and I too learned the hard way that you should just get muddy and wet asap and not bother trying to avoid it.. I'm such a wimp though, I might have to just make someone push me over into it or I bet on the day I will still try and avoid it.....
01/03/2008 at 17:47

Thanks BunnyPhobia, i've just signed up!

I may live to regret this though!!! 

01/03/2008 at 19:49

Good on you CD, I have still yet to sign up myself... but, I will!

Did you just enter through RW? The link to the actual hellrunner website doesn't seem to work.

1 to 20 of 413 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.