2011 Boston Marathon

April 18th, 2011

21 to 40 of 138 messages
18/10/2010 at 15:34
It took me about an hour but I am IN! This registration made London feel like a cakewalk...
18/10/2010 at 22:32

Just back from Amsterdam today. Was on top of the world yesterday having run a good PB - 2:55:10 - and having had a great weekend there.

Today meanwhile has been horrendous; massively hungover, terrible day back at work and now to top it off have just gone onto the Boston website and it says registration has already closed?! It only opened today?!

WTF???

19/10/2010 at 08:59
Oh no!!!! It closed in 8 hours tbn! Please say you are joking...you got in, right?
19/10/2010 at 11:16
I looked at this all day yesterday and could have registered but the overall costs could not really be justified. Now it has closed I don't need to agonise any longer. Already registered and booked up for Paris. 
19/10/2010 at 14:09

Sadly no joke.

Just checked again and it is closed; they even have the runners list finalised on the site and it clearly states there is no waiting list. Can't see any other way of getting in?

Am GUTTED.

19/10/2010 at 15:49

I was about to start a Chicago thread but I figured this may be a good place to ask.

Has anyone here done a USA or overseas Marathon who can advise about how many days prior to the Marathon you should aim to travel?

I'm planning to run Chicago 2011 and aimed to travel out on the Friday, do the expo Saturday, run Sunday, do touristy stuff Monday and then fly to stay with friends Tuesday.

However the Marathon Talk podcast seems to suggest you need a few more days prior to running to adjust to the time difference (6 hours) and they recommended flying out on the Tuesday. Granted, one of the Marathon Talk crew is Liz Yelling, so perhaps she needed more time to prepare as it's a much bigger race for her than it would be for me.

But I guess my question is, how long should I give myself to adjust to the time difference? Any experience of this would be much appreciated.

19/10/2010 at 16:26

Hi

I've done New York, Chicago (DNF in 2007 after race stopped) and Big Sur.

I'm definitely at the back of the pack and have always travelled out on the Thursday so I can do the expo on Friday and some sitting down sightseeing on Saturday. I did talk to somebody at New York who travelled on the Saturday and just had time to get his number and ignored the time difference.

TBH I wouldn't want any more time than what you are proposing  in Chicago

19/10/2010 at 16:54

With your last line do you mean there isn't much to see and do in Chicago? I welcome your advice. Sounds like I may be able to get away with going out on the Thursday and doing the expo as you say on Friday, resting up on Saturday.

(Sorry for taking this thread off Boston.. realised I've sort of gatecrashed it)

Edited: 19/10/2010 at 16:54
19/10/2010 at 17:52

NR - I did New York last year and flew out mid-morning Saturday which with time difference meant I got into city and then to expo in good time in afternoon. Early night on Saturday (easily done with time diff!) meant I was up early (which you need to be given the trek to the start in NYC). Ran without any major jetlag issues as you are fooling the body into effectively doing an early Sunday afternoon run?!

I prefer to travel closer to the race day and take a few days to do my sightseeing etc after the race. Reckon that flying to east coast of US is just about within range for this approach as jetlag/travel stiffness elements are both managable.

Feel free to start a Chicago thread; I'll be joining it!

19/10/2010 at 18:05
tbn - Mate, I am gutted for you! That's horrible! I hope you find another great option (Paris?) for April!
19/10/2010 at 20:36

Hi

Just discovered this forum thread, I was posting on another Boston one.

Can't believe the registration closed after 8hrs!!!! Last year it was open for two months.

I wonder if all the volcanic ash deferrals had anything to do with it, I reckon there must have been 3000 plus across Europe  who, like me, could not get to Boston as all the flights were cancelled.

I do hope most people were ok although like theboynice no doubt some would not have expected it to close so early.

As you say EI22RE the participant list is already displayed so feeling very fortunate to be listed!

Cheers

19/10/2010 at 23:19

Gutted about this. Spent all yesterday afternoon at work, then in a job interview, no chance to go online and then find out registration closed! After all that training to get the qualifying time in Berlin!!!!

Oh well, what will be will be. Good luck to all who are entered. Will concentrate on the cheaper if slightly less glamorous option of running Brighton next Spring.

20/10/2010 at 10:45

Biggles - They annoucned that there were only 200 or so entrants from the volcanic ash incident that registered and they were registered prior to Monday. As you can see from these boards, the allure of Boston is not quite the same in Europe as in the US (understandable, I suppose).

Cavruns - I qualified in Berlin too. What a wet day! :

20/10/2010 at 14:02
EI22RE
That's very interesting I had no idea there was so few people entered from Europe. So my guess was wildly out!!!!!
Stlii dosnt explain how the registration closed so quickly compared to last year, any ideas?
Have just got hotel bookedat the Langham downtown doing a good deal for min of 4 day stay.
Edited: 20/10/2010 at 14:36
20/10/2010 at 15:33

Well, I suppose the fact that it closed in record time last year had multiple effects:

a) Those who missed out last year would have been very eager to get in asap

b) everyone has been talking about how fast it was going to  sell out so there was a bit of a old-fashioned "bank run" on the website

c) The registration opened a bit later this year so there have been more marathons since it closed last year

I have yet to book a hotel but it all looks very pricey. where did you get the deal Biggles?

20/10/2010 at 16:37

Hi All,

Well it seems I'm one of the lucky ones then! I got the qualification time on Sunday in Amsterdam and signed up to Boston on Monday. Getting into Boston has definately eased the pain of missing the Sub 3 by 40 seconds!

Sorry to hear people missed out. Make sure you get something booked up quick to soften the blow. I did my first ever marathon in Paris this year and loved it!

I think probably just the rumours that it was getting to fill up quick were themselves to blame for it filling up so quick as people tried to get in there early!

21/10/2010 at 12:55

I was on site as soon as it opened tried to register 3 times on different computers, everytime pressed submit all info disappeared but no ID genererated.

Gutted, already booked flights and hotel so big hole in my savings

Had emailed organisers as given credit card details 3 times and thought "lets wait for ans" then registration shuts.  Never Ever doing this again.......

21/10/2010 at 14:05

Made an uncharacteristically sensible financial decision and decided not to enter.  The wallet just  couldn't quite handle it.  Looks like I would've been lucky to get in even if I'd decided to try!

Good luck with it everyone anyway.

I may do Paris instead, or more likely Berlin again.

Then there's always 2012 I guess...

21/10/2010 at 16:03

TS - Really sorry to hear that. It was quite the ordeal. In the end, I went onto the US RW site and found a link that someone was suggesting to us. Tried that and it worked first time (I had been trying an hour).

That said, the form did state very clearly that unless you were shown a registration ID on screen, you were not registered. A bit muck but it did say it so I wish you had kept on trying.

21/10/2010 at 19:21
Congratulations to all that managed to get in.... and commiserations to those that didn't. It was a lot of "fun" on Monday afternoon

Has anyone managed to find a decent hotel for under $300 a night? Looking like it is going to be a very expensive trip.
21 to 40 of 138 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.