2011 Boston Marathon

April 18th, 2011

81 to 100 of 138 messages
ITC
24/01/2011 at 21:38

I am not in "sprinter class" so I am only looking to match my qualifying time (4:15 for 65+) but I think I will be hard pushed to do that. After a bad few "man-flu" weeks I am now hopefully into proper training with 10 miles yesterday at steady 10min/mile pace.

Hopefully my annual Algarve Training week in March with 209 Events will bring me to peak at the right time. It did last year until the Iceland volcano saga ruined the plan.

As always I will be grateful to be able to finish.    

25/01/2011 at 14:51

Good to see things are moving on for everyone. Very impressive pace JAP. I don't think I'll be racing you anytime soon!

I'm feeling quite behind considering I'm running Barcelona marathon on the 6th March and I'm just trying to keep reminding myself I cant just pile on a load of miles to catch up because I'll just break. Better to be on the start line slightly underprepared than injured!!

01/02/2011 at 12:10

Hi

Just thought I would remind everyone that the Chicago Marathon Registration opened this morning. If your'e thinking about entering it might be a good idea to get in early. I don't think it will fill as quick as Boston of course, but I'm sure it will be much quicker than last year

Cheers

Edited: 01/02/2011 at 12:15
01/02/2011 at 16:53

Hi Everyone

I was n't going to take any chances with Chicago so was on the computer at six this morning as soon as it opened, glad that's sorted.

As for Boston, the training had been going really well untill i ran 18 miles on Sunday with a slightly sore knee which is now giving me a lot of pain just walking, so slightly concerned but wont panick just yet, any advice ?

I've also got a couple of upcoming races, the Ryde 10 this Sunday (knee dependant) & the Bramley 20 on the 20th, anyone else doing either of these ?

01/02/2011 at 19:05

Whiteleyox

Yep I registered nice and early this morning to make sure! It will be intresting to see how long it takes to fill the 45000 places.

I guess the usual advice is Rest  Ice Compression Elevation and see how it goes. Definately lots of icing! I know it'salways difficult but mayby this Sundays race might be a bit soon if it's still sore!

Good luck.

Cheers

ITC
01/02/2011 at 20:07

I highly recommend Chicago for a fast run. Despite the high number of runners the roads are wide leaving plenty room for steady pacing. There is also the advantage of RW Pacers for all standards. I achieved my Boston at Chicago 2009 by being  dragged around by a consistent pacing team who would not let me go when I was struggling over the final mile.

Incidentally in 2009 the temperature was 0deg C. The previous year it was so hot that the organisers stopped the race after 3 and a bit hours.

As for this year's Boston my training is not going too well, probably because I am still trying to lose the excesses of Christmas.  

01/02/2011 at 22:55

LOL ITC that is my excuse also, managed to loose half a stone and training picking up now, LSR tomorrow.........Boston may be my last marathon so want to enjoy

25/02/2011 at 18:56

Anyone planning on entering the Boston 5K on Sun April 17?

I see the entries open on Mar 2nd

(Edit to correct date!!!)

Edited: 25/02/2011 at 19:33
13/03/2011 at 01:24
Hiya smiffie   last marathon my arse
13/03/2011 at 01:26
I wanna go to Boston again but am not good enough anymore 
14/03/2011 at 14:47

Hi,

Has anyone travelling from the UK looked into travel insurance? I thought I was covered but found out marathon running counts out as a risky activity so I'm gonna have to get an extra policy. Anyone found any good deals?

14/03/2011 at 15:00
5 weeks to go!! How's everybody's training going? I'm not exactly where I want to be yet but I'm going to work hard up to the end of march and then taper off.

Didn't realise that about travel insurance, better check myself.
15/03/2011 at 23:02

Go the the easyjet website.  Their travel insurance is pretty cheap and covers marathon running.

Hi again smiffie.

17/03/2011 at 20:00
Wow, a long time since I posted on this thread. It's amazingly quite really, seeing as how the race is a little over 4 weeks away

Hope everyone's training is going well. Not long now til Taper Madness sets in.

Don't know if people have seen the news - bib numbers/start waves are now available on the official website. I'm in Coral 6 in Wave 1. That's a red bib for me with a 10.00am start.
18/03/2011 at 14:16

Hi All,

Thanks for the tip OsloNeil. Had a look and I'm in the same wave as you in coral 2. 

It's true it's certainly not long now! I'm almost forgetting I'm running a marathon really as my main goal was Barcelona 2 weeks ago and really Boston is just for the occasion. I'm sure it'll seem more daunting as it gets closer! Maybe they'll let me go in a further back coral as being in the competative sort I know I'll go for it if everyone goes off hard!

Caniggia33 - Cheers, I actually went back to my travel insurance people and argued the point a bit and they have covered me. It's a bit of a gray area but it seems if I was trying to win the prize money therefore running professionally I wouldnt be covered. I explained I wasn't Kenyan. 

Be good to keep this thread going as we get nearer! Hows everyone else training going?

18/03/2011 at 15:33
I'll be joining you Rich_W in corral 2 in the 1st wave. Can't believe how quickly it's approaching now. All being well, I'll be out doing a 20 mile LSR tomorrow, weather is looking good this weekend for a change.
18/03/2011 at 19:42
Tis very close and for me the best of them all.
21/03/2011 at 15:41

How did the 20 miler go micromagic? Nice to see another Brit in that corral! What sort of time are you going for?

No 20 milers for me. Still definately have Barcelona in my legs from 2 weeks ago. Went out for a not so LSR and got about 8 miles before the calfs tightened right up. Maybe more stretching is required!

21/03/2011 at 16:07

My training could not be going any worse!!!

Shin Splint left after Brighton Half 20th Feb. Rest for two weeks............still bad.

Further rest...............yes you've guessed no good, running in pain. Never had this before what a bast**d.

Physio says only solution REST. With 28 days to go.

So Boston strategy, best case try to get round............ worst case, dosen't bare thinking about!!

Edited: 21/03/2011 at 16:07
22/03/2011 at 15:10
Wasn't quite a 20 miler on sat, ended up doing just over 30km so about 18.5 miles. Felt a bit tired before going out which is never a good start. Anyway was going alright until I ran out of water. Only had small bottle with me and forgot any money. Stopped at a petrol station and asked for tap water, to cut a long story short, she couldn't give me any, so final 10km was a killer!

Anyway I feel my fitness returning so I am aiming to go under 3 hours for the first time in Boston. But anyway see how I feel on the day. One advantage for us Brits is that jet lag should work in our favour...I hope.

Biggles - Any chance you could do some none impact training in the mean time? A few hours on the bike should keep your fitness up while the shins recover.
81 to 100 of 138 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.