2013 UK Marathon any recommendations?

21 to 36 of 36 messages
09/08/2012 at 20:37

I'm doing the Luton marathon which is in November

Luton Marathon

09/08/2012 at 21:25
Oooh Emmy
09/08/2012 at 21:27

I know. They've got other 3 in 3 planned but I really like the look of this one as i'm fond of the dorset coastline. What are you currently thinking?

10/08/2012 at 16:36

Hi Emmy, I don't know to excited, so many choices! Not sure if the 3 in 3 is a couple of months to soon, as i'm doing first mara in october, then was thinking of just doing short but often training runs upto the new year then starting hard again for something.  I'm also dieting at the same time -49lbs in 20 weeks, so was thinking of trying to relax upto Xmas after mara.  Not sure if i can get fit enough in time for this 3 in 3. 

Still giving it a lot of thought

10/08/2012 at 16:46

I know what you mean - it's really tempting and there's a lot of good mara's out there. I'm currently thinking:

Spring Mara: (Brighton? London? Edinburgh?)
July: Isle of Man
October: Dublin

But we'll see how I feel after the next few marathons good luck with whatever you choose

Edited: 10/08/2012 at 16:46
10/08/2012 at 16:52

Thanks

I guess I should wait and actually prove I can run the run, not just talk the walk.  So I should really wait until my first in october but so tempted to keep the ball rolling by signing up for something in spring now.

19/02/2013 at 15:47

Yeah I wouldn't put any unnecessary pressure on yourself by entering more than one at this stage. Part of the fun of your first marathon is saying "I'm never going through that again!" at the finish line, only to find yourself searching for another one on the internet a week or two after, and getting those twitchy fingers to press enter for your next race.

It's my opinion only, and many people do it differently, but I like to reward my 4 months of focused training with a couple of months after the race without any specific goal. This way I can have some down time and enjoy my runs/spend quality time with the family, whilst recovering for the next marathon schedule.

19/02/2013 at 15:58

Well not signed up for any marathons yet will sign up for Leciester again when it's open, but am tempted by Milton Keynes in May i''ve not joined up yet, but i'm doing the training.

19/02/2013 at 16:31
@booktrunk - I'll be at Milton Keynes it's the final day of a 3in3 (3 marathons in 3 days)
19/02/2013 at 16:33

I bet that you will still thrash me

19/02/2013 at 16:41
James Shipley 3 wrote (see)

I'm doing the Luton marathon which is in November

is that an Easymarathon?

19/02/2013 at 16:45
VERY unlikely I'm sure you'll speed past us!
19/02/2013 at 17:09

Emmy, I'm trying to do a "sub3in3in3". I'm doing London, Manchester and Milton Keynes on consecutive weekends and trying to go under 3hs in the all, as part of my Comrades build-up. 

Good luck with your 3 in 3 days.  It looks tougher than my one.  Where are the other 2? 

19/02/2013 at 18:05
Hi Ally, what a challenge that is! I wish you the best of luck for all of those! I'd love to do sub 3! What time are you aiming for at comrades? Are you doing any specific hill training for it?

The may triple is:
Sat: Bewl marathon
Sun: Richmond park marathon
Mon: Milton Keynes

We're just trying some different things this year to play with training plans. We did a double in January, 3 marathons in 3 weekends in February and then this is the challenge for may.
19/02/2013 at 23:13
Ive just done the enigma Quadzilla 4 in 4 days, it's in Milton Keynes, they put a lot of events on, lots of double weekends etc. google Enigma Running.

Duchy marathon next week in Cornwall, Barcalona, Taunton then ill be chasing the Ally of not enough hills for some sub 3s at VLM, Manc and Milton Keynes.

Never done it but I have just entered Abingdon in October, near Oxford. suppose to be a good marathon. Fast as well I hear. I know it fills fast so must be good.

So many marathons to do! So many new events popping up!
20/02/2013 at 08:26
@Muzza - I'm a regular at enigma too. I've just signed up to do the quad next year!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.