30th Shell Four Villages Half Marathon

1 to 20 of 190 messages
19/10/2010 at 07:40
Just entered this half. I only live local and cannot believe I have ran it before. I have heard it is very well organised. Is it really hilly in the middle. More so than the New Balance Half?
19/10/2010 at 12:27

I've run both Hampo, and both are great races.  I would class the 4 villages as undlating, with a couple of steep up and down bits.  There is more 'hill' to the hills than Warrington!

There was a thread for this race last year, somebody posted a profile, have a look here

19/10/2010 at 14:23
There's a map on the Helsby site at http://www.helsbyrunningclub.org.uk/halfmarathon/halfroute.htm

If you know the route there's a drag up from the Motor Museum to the turn at Mouldsworth, a bit of uppy-downy and then a more sustained hill to Manley school at mile 10. Magnificent freewheel drop to the golf course a couple of miles later.
19/10/2010 at 16:31

Cheers Ian and Steve, Would you guys say that it could a PB Course then. I have found flat sometimes tougher in a wierd way. I am also running my fav half which is Wilmslow in March.

19/10/2010 at 17:03
...While you're on the subject of this half marathon... Can somebody verify if it's true that they dont actually close the roads during the event ???
Around this time last year I was considering doing the 2010 event but then heard this rumour which kinda puts me off a little.
Edited: 19/10/2010 at 17:04
19/10/2010 at 17:20
It's not 13 miles of closed roads no, only the first mile or so. But it's effectively closed with the weight of numbers on country lanes. I wouldn't worry about it though, we've never had a problem with traffic. It's *my* PB course, but I reckon you'd add maybe a couple of minutes over some other courses? Dunno.
19/10/2010 at 18:59
Thanx Steve,
I've just had a nosey on the Helsby website and I'm thinking.... " yes, I'm gonna do this !"
I did the recent 'English Half Marathon' in Warrington and also did it in 2009.   And now I'm thinking about doing another half sometime soon. January sounds the ideal time for me.
Just one quick question for ya....(just out of curiousity)... How did the 2010 event cope with all that weird white stuff which descended from above during the Winter months ???
19/10/2010 at 19:06
Weather? It was touch and go, but the weather gods timed it perfectly. The weekend before it was big drifts, gradually thawing through the week and a tiny bit of spadework ...perfect morning on the day. Kept the website person busy with updates (ahem).

Get in!
19/10/2010 at 19:17
Helsby is definately a PB course, my 3 fastest times at HM are all at Helsby. The type of course to just get your head down and get on with it. Remember, for the inclines up there are fast slopes back down or as I prefer to think, hills are just flat bits that rise a little.
20/10/2010 at 08:56
The website was great last year, regular updates keeping us all informed.  My PB isn't from this course, but I was only a couple of minutes off it. 
07/11/2010 at 20:58
Hi Folks. If anyone has a spare entry or cannot make it, please let me know. many thanks. David
12/11/2010 at 11:01

Hi all, did this race last year and back for more this year!  Loved it, well organised but I have a score to settle with it timewise!  I hadn't done any hills or hill training when i ran it last year but i have just (2 weeks ago now) dont Snowdon Marathon so feel that i might just be a bit better round Helsby this time round!

Must be a good one as i'm travelling 200 odd miles to it, i live in south west wales but my parents are local to helsby (ish).. my dad's in Wirral AC and running it as is my mum....it'll be my first race ever with both my parents in it!!! (And the first one ever that i should beat my mum, I would love to say beat them both but my dad's a bit of a running machine)!!!

Just hope the weather in the weeks running up to it are kinder this time round......was so touch and go last year and with the distance to travel was very uncertain............all adds to it i guess!!!  Oh and the park and ride is very well organised etc so would recommend to anyone instead of trying to park at the event!!!!

12/11/2010 at 16:57
Gutted I've missed out on this one. Was gonna reserve my place today but its all full up
cougie    pirate
12/11/2010 at 17:17

Dunno about it being a PB course - dont think I've ever PB'd on it ! Liverpool is faster unless you get that nasty headwind down the river.

Sorry you've missed out EF - but you have to get in early with these races. They fill up quickly. Check out the calendar and get your entry in for Lpool or Wilmslow before they fill.

12/11/2010 at 18:12
Cheers Cougie. I've got Liverpool pencilled in...infact, I might even book my place right now if its open.
12/11/2010 at 18:13

Or...................

the village bakery half in Wrexham in February

Flat and fast .

16/11/2010 at 12:18

If anyone has a problem and can't do the run,  I'll happily buy your place off you (I hoe the reason you can't do it isn't a very serious pone)

Steve

23/11/2010 at 21:35

I too would like to join the 'unofficial' list of willing place takers, only if requests posted above me have been exhausted of course. Just planning my calendar for next year & hadn't spied this one till now!

As above, hopefully not due to any serious reason but any unforseen holidays/work commitments, bad weather etc. get in touch.

Cheers.

24/11/2010 at 17:05
Hi guys

Like a few of the above, I missed out on a place in this race as I didn't realise it filled so quickly.

If anyone has a spare number, I'd happily buy the number off you and offer you any prize money I might potentially win (having finished 15th in this years London Marathon I'd probably be in with a shout but you never know who will turn up or how you'll go on the day - think of me as a scratchcard you may find lying on the floor!!).  I'm pretty keen to run it as part of my preparation for London 2011 and there dont seem to be any alternatives with Brass Monkey Half also full.  In the interests of fairness, you should probably offer any place to the guys who have posted before me though!!

Hope everyone's training for the race is going well.  Oh and another date for your diaries if you haven't seen it yet is the popular Trafford 10k on Sunday March 13th which I am involved in organising and was added to the website today.

Thanks

Dave

26/11/2010 at 18:21

Unfortunately I cannot do this now, so if anybody is interested let me know.

1 to 20 of 190 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.