59th Brampton to Carlisle 10

You'll Like This

1 to 20 of 32 messages
26/10/2010 at 19:44

Less than a month to go before this great race and no-one has started a thread yet.  Well, we'll soon sort that.

For those who don't know, this is the oldest 10 mile race in the UK, and it's a cracker.  Perfect timing if you've been running all year and just want one last race before Christmas.  Well organised; excellent flat route; and suitable for everyone.  You'll need to get well under the hour if want to win, but you'll still be welcomed home if it takes you two or more.

Go on............................you know you want to

28/10/2010 at 12:08

Sent my entry in on Monday - looking forward to it

28/10/2010 at 17:42
Millster... Just completed the RAF Spadeadam Half Marathon which is just up the road from Brampton and it was far from flat!!  Positively mountainous in fact but I'll take your word for it.  Beautiful part of the country and I'm really looking forward running the event.
28/10/2010 at 17:52

I dont think the course is particularly flat, I'd describe it more as rolling since you're constantly only able to see about half a mile in front to the next peak.

It is, however, a fast course as evidenced by Steve Cram's 46:xx time....you dont run those sort of times on tough courses.

It was even faster last year when it became the Brampton To Carlisle 9.3 due to the flooding.

28/10/2010 at 21:30

I suppose 'flatness' is all relative really.  Having just run the now 'hilly' Cumbrian Run; having previously run the Great Langdale marathon and being a local, I would still say that the Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler is flat, but I don't intend to fall out with anyone over a few hills.

I didn't realise that there was a problem with precipitation last year, although I remember it was a wet weekend.  I wish I'd entered now - good chance for a pb.

30/10/2010 at 15:54
Course it's flat, just a small pull up getting out of Brampton onto the main road, and a bit at Rule Holme before the turn left to Newby (am assuming it won't be flooded again), oh, and maybe a little bit pull up going over the M6 after Linstock Roundabout. Wouldn't really call them hills though??
30/10/2010 at 20:01
........................................don't forget that last one up Brampton Road just before the finish.
31/10/2010 at 17:51
toying with the idea mr Millster, depends if little ECN can be entertained and the OH agrees  i was supposed to be doing the suicide 6 in the midlands, but the outlaws are away so a free weekend.
31/10/2010 at 20:38

You know you'll enjoy it.

Presumably you've done it before...........................and probably under an hour, I'd guess

31/10/2010 at 21:12
I'm doing this too
02/11/2010 at 14:03

no... never done it before which is a bit strange concidering it is a 'local' race. i would like to go under 1 hour but me finks that is asking a little too much for my old poor legs nowadays

i had a nice run along the cycleway from carlisle to dalston then around Raughtonhead last week, fancy getting out for a run sometimes?

02/11/2010 at 15:07

I'm doing this one and really looking forward to it as I've heard it's a fast course and I like doing 'new' races.

Edited: 02/11/2010 at 15:08
02/11/2010 at 20:59
Not had a number through yet - is there an entry list anywhere?  FWIW I think gently rolling courses can produce faster times than flat ones.  It also depends on the course measurement - whether the 0.1% added on to meet UKA rules took it from slightly short to correct, or slightly long to slightly longer.
12/11/2010 at 13:23
Doing it for the first time, but will be last in no doubt, so cheer me in!! Legs still tired from Kielder but looking forward to it.
12/11/2010 at 14:16

Am I right in thinking there is no online entry for this one?  The home page says you can enter at race.results.co.uk but that just brings up a pdf copy of the paper entry form, and nothing else.

Might have to just enter on the day.

12/11/2010 at 19:52

Ian - I cannot remember how I did it, but I was able to enter online.  The confirmation emails that I got were from race-results.co.uk, so you will probably just need to dig deeper in their website, unless they've closed the online facility because there is only a week to go.

Entry on the day has never been a problem in the past so it should be okay this time I assume.

14/11/2010 at 18:34

Have  a good run Millster,cant make it this year (first i ve missed for ages) away for weekend

Anybody who hasnt ran this , give it a go PBs very achievable!

15/11/2010 at 18:36

Millster - that must be it... a few of the other races on that page seem to have "enter online" as an option, but not this one, so maybe they have just taken it down.

I really should start entering these events when I first hear about them, rather than putting them off.

How long before the start would you say to arrive, to get a place?

15/11/2010 at 22:05

Ian - I really don't think that there will be a problem in terms of the race being full.  It's popular, but very well organised so I would suggest that you give yourself around one hour before the start to get sorted.  There may be a queue to enter, and probably a second queue for those of us who have entered online to collect numbers, but many others will probably be sorted in advance.  If you're using one of the official buses to get there then you should be there by 11.30 unless you get on the last one.  If you're not using the buses then make sure you get a lift to the start.  I have seen the odd runner in previous years parking their car at the start area and asking about transport back afterwards, which is not a good move as there isn't any .  That's the best that I can do in terms of general information, but you may be able to contact the organiser direct if you're still unsure.

If you've never done this before, then you'll find that it's a very friendly 'low-key' event, although the standard at the front of the field is very good........................apparently

16/11/2010 at 08:31

Bah will have to EOD it seems, although i really shouldn't be entertaining any thought of running this being i've spent the last 3-4 weeks not really running as i have a foot problem. Just to top things off i currently have a cold/man flu to make it that much harder.

Still x-ray appointment on thursday and unless they tell me then and there its broken i'll no doubt be there.

1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.