5K Cardiff St Davids Day

1 to 20 of 52 messages
29/01/2008 at 18:46
Is anyone else thinking of doing this for the first time? Is it a very fast race?
30/01/2008 at 08:24

Did this two years ago.

Quite a fast course, so PB potential if that's what you're after.  A good mix of abilities too, so suitable for all types of runner.

Noticed your profile says West Sussex, isn't Cardiff a long way to come for a 5K?

31/01/2008 at 00:06

It is, but i thought i might make a weekend of it, especially to do a race in Wales on St david's Day.  Haven't totally made up my mind because i booked time off for Running weekend but can't afford it this time round hopefully do one later on in the year. But there are a number of different races over that weekend.  Also i thought i may have a go at doing a race in scotland, ireland as well as england and wales in a year.

Would you be able to suggest a longer race in wales that has great atmosphere?  I have heard about the Snowdon Marathon... (I can do distance but slow!) 

31/01/2008 at 07:10

But the race isn't on St Davids Day lol, St Davids Day is March 1st.

If you're going to make a weekend of it, then we have weekly 5K time trials held every Saturday morning too.

Snowdon Marathon is quite a tough one so I've heard, I've not done it myself.  Theres the Llanelli Half on 2 Mar also, which is well worth a go.  Cardiff has it's Half in Oct, and there's even rumour that they might hold a Full mara again this year, probably on the same date as they did in 2006.

31/01/2008 at 19:24

Oh, Is it obvious I'm not Welsh? May have to investigate Llanelli Half or there'sa marathon on the same date i may have a go at.

Where do you do your trails from? I'm in Cardiff in May with a friend. 

31/01/2008 at 19:33

time trails are bute park.

Want a challange, bala middle tri

06/02/2008 at 19:56

im thinking of entering this too.... have never entered a race in my life before but am doing silverstone half on 9th march

may do me good to have the feel of race atmosphere before then!!!  how long before etc do i need to arrive etc?

08/02/2008 at 19:41

Yes I have thought about it too - never been brave enough to actually go to a race, been out of the running loop one way and another for a very long time and am stupidly unfit now, but struggling with motivation, maybe booking onto something would give me an extra kick up the backside!

How slow are you allowed to go...?!

Nam
08/02/2008 at 20:13
Barking you can take as long as it takes to get you home.   It's quite a big field, you won't be last.
15/02/2008 at 11:50

I started running again last september. Had big op 3 years ago and got the all clear last august but had put losts of weight on in the mean time. I'm down from 16.5 st to 13.5 st and can run 3 miles in 27 minutes.

Would this be a good first race for me? Dont want to look like an idiot.

15/02/2008 at 14:26
Dave -you'll probably beat me so i say enter!!
Nam
15/02/2008 at 15:31
Didn't we have snow for this last year?  Or at least I remember it being very very cold....
22/02/2008 at 10:37

Hi there.  I'm new to running and the forum so hello all.

I've entered this as my first race too.  Scary!  I've been running for about 3 months and I'm a bit worried about being last too.  I think I can manage about 35 minutes with a following wind

Nam - you've scared me now - snow! 

22/02/2008 at 10:38

Nam - you've scared me now - snow! 

What my OH defines as snow is slush!

It will be fine. Enjoy the race in a nice place.

22/02/2008 at 10:40
OH £9 for medal and t-shirt...
Nam
22/02/2008 at 10:40

That was last year.  I'm sure we'll be ok this year.  Last year was freezing cold.  I remember the frosty layer on the grass and that freezing cold winter fog in the morning and you could see everyones breath!! 

I started out again last month after injury in autumn, so I'll leave my ego at home and just plod not worrying about time and just get used to 'events' again.  Just entered last week.  I think I'll still be over the half-hour.

22/02/2008 at 10:44

so I'll leave my ego at home

So can I enter or not?

Nam
22/02/2008 at 10:46
yes by all means... you can put kettle on and make a couple of sandwhiches when I trundle in ten minutes after you...
22/02/2008 at 10:50

you can put kettle on and make a couple of sandwhiches when I trundle in ten minutes after you...

Thats a flask and picnic hamper then

22/02/2008 at 14:39

hey nam.... you are so gonna beat me!!  its gonna be my 1st proper event ever but will be taking it very slowly on my dodgy ankle the week before my half!

anyone want to bet on me being the one that rolls in about 40 mins lol

1 to 20 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.