Abingdon Marathon 2013

261 to 280 of 1,032 messages
18/08/2013 at 15:08

First race done since this block of seven weeks hard training. Birchwood 10k flat course but a bit of an annoying headwind in places. Went through halfway the flattest but windiest section in 18:00 and finished in 35:34 so a negative split when the course was harder second half indicates the wind slowed me up a bit. 4 seconds off an 18 month pb which was done with a massive tailwind so really happy with how things went. 26 seconds quicker than last year when last year was much better conditions so a good indicator that things are on track. 22nd overall and chicked..........just 

18/08/2013 at 20:36

I did my first Park Run ever yesterday and was fairly satisfied to get 18.08 so I'm impressed with your 10k MG15. What sort of mileage / key sessions have you been doing over the past 7 weeks?

I ran a hilly 22m with 4 progressive fast miles at the end. Legs felt tired after the 5k yesterday. That makes 83m for the week. Looking forward to a relatively easier week now.

18/08/2013 at 21:38

Hmm, some serious speed merchants on here. Following todays challenging half I am going to predict a pretty pedestrian by these standards anyway, fast by mine 3.35 for this one. Will also slot in another half at the end of this month to keep the momentum going.

19/08/2013 at 08:27

Keir

I've always fancied joining the park run bonanza but there's none within a 45 mile radius here so I'm still a virgin unfortunately. Maybe one day! Mileage has been around 65 per week which is a drop from last year but there is more quality there. No was hoping to up the mileage a bit but with my holiday coming up I think that is doubtful. Session wise there has been a couple of interval sessions a long run and a medium long run at MP. All other runs are at easy pace. Always a rest day and up to two doubles. I hired an online coach after Abo last year but have been having problems with my calf and have been unable to have a decent continued spell of decent training until now so it's nice to see she hard work come to fruition. Hopefully I can get through the remaining two months without any issues then its a good stab at Abo. How about yourself? For Abo last year I followed a P&D high mileage one which was good but maybe slightly out of date now. 

19/08/2013 at 11:32

In the past I have followed something loosely based upon the P&D up to 70mpw programme, but enjoy the process of planning my training so add some tweaks to the spreadsheet. That worked well for my pb at Abo 2 years ago.

This time I've been averaging mid 70s each week (some 60s, some 80s) since June. LSR of 20 - 26 miles each week, usually either unfuelled, with a fast finish or with some PMP bits. The 2nd key session is a progressive MLR where within a 10 - 16m run I will run miles progressively faster starting around 6.50m/m and desending down to 6m/m. I find these sessions particularly hard to complete. I have also included a race (as I cannot push myself by myself) each week - 5k or 10k. The Park Run is a 60m return journey, but is worth it as a occassional thing. Other than that I run every day most weeks, with the shortest run usually being 8m off rd and hilly and sometimes add an MLR of between 12 - 18m with some PMP.

I am in pb shape according to recent untapered 5k and 10ks, but my pre marathon test run will be at a HM at the end of sept.

Edit: Some questions Martin:

What time did you do at Abo last year?

What are you doing differently this time around?

If you are following P&D how is a coach helping you?

Edited: 19/08/2013 at 12:31
19/08/2013 at 18:52

2:48 at abo last year, 2:46 at London this but with a bad prep. 

More quality I'd say this time round as in intervals Etc I did a lot of medium paced running last time. 

I felt I had taken it as far as I could myself going off books and have enjoyed the input and newer training methods. There's no doubt it's improved me as a runner but thewe is a price to pay I suppose. 

Decent mileage there from you I am pretty tired doing my mid 65's tbf I hope I can get through till October with no niggles because it will be interesting to see the result after a long block. Abo was always my A race this year, everything else was simply a build up to it so all the eggs are going in this basket!

21/08/2013 at 09:52

Are there any slow Abingdon runners around, by slow I mean 4:30-5:00 please?

23/08/2013 at 15:11

I have a number but am unable to run so wondered if anyone knows anyone who would like to take my slot?

Oldshadow Fax, do you still have a waiting list?

Cheers

Murph

23/08/2013 at 18:26

Hi Always Trying - there are a few slow plodders on the forum, but we tend to sit back in awe of the exploits of our faster and probably trimmer friends!

I had been hoping to finally go sub-5 but given the way training is going I'm expecting to struggle to get under 5.30. I may even seek the dubious privilege of coming in last - but in my mind that will just make the final winner, not the worst loser.

And anyway, at the risk of repeating myself, any sensible handicapping system (i.e. adjusted for BMI) will mean I'd be challenging for overall winner!

24/08/2013 at 11:57

Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon after reading through the thread. Signed up on the first day and am midway through my training. Can't say I'm enjoying it that much - I usually just run whatever I feel like each day whether that's 10 days in a row, a week off, fast running or slow running. Training means I have to do specific runs. I'm following Hal Higdon's Advanced 2 schedule but with a bit more freedom. Typically longer easy and long runs. 

Going reasonably well so far: completed 19, 21 and 22 mile runs at ~8 m/m. Aiming for 3h05m to get 2015(!) London qualification. No benchmarking races planned, but I am running my local 10k (Enfield Mayor's 10k) on 15 Sep. I'm a 39m 10ker, so that time is definitely a challenge. Damn VLM for changing the GFA times!

PB is... 5h6m30s from the two marathons I've run, but that's a story for another post.

25/08/2013 at 14:01

Badgerboy yes I am in awe just looking for some inspiration for Abingdon as i'd like to do it in the cut off time!!

26/08/2013 at 08:56

Murph, is that bib still going?

26/08/2013 at 11:12

I did a 21 on Thursday which originally was planned for the Friday. I didn't have a good tea the night before and breakfast and lunch wasn't great either. Combined with 22 muggy degrees all combined as a recipe for disaster. I was planning on MP + 35/40 secs and was fine for about 8 miles, then it all became a real struggle. I had five gels in all and plenty of water but I really really struggled. I should have stopped at 18 but stubbornly carried on and really bonked. Got home and was completely exhausted couldn't stand up in the shower and was shaking feeling really rough. Went to bed and completely crashed waking up half an hour later and was sick and shaking. Recovered after a few hours but it wasn't pretty, lesson learnt I'll be carving up the night before any future long runs now. Finished the week off pretty well with a decent interval session followed by 35 mins @ MP so no lasting damage done but at least I've got my rubbish run out of the way (there's always one!)

26/08/2013 at 11:21
Ouch, I hate those odd bad runs.
I did 16 miles on Friday with 13.1 at MP. Was hard going but didn't feel too bad afterwards. I feel like I have plenty of endurance so just working on a bit more speed endurance as that has been missing since VLM.
Am feeling a lot more confident now.
26/08/2013 at 14:46

Yep I know that feeling too, my bad run was one earlier last week, went ouit for an easy 8 miles with a mate who is recovering from injury - I thought I was going to die! It was scarily hard, no idea why, think it was probably not eating particularly well for the previous couple of days and a half marathon on the Sunday all together was just one run too many.

That was wednesday, but to prove that one bad run can mean nothing I did a 22 miler at mp+40 secs on Friday with a negative split so confidence restored.

Blisters    pirate
26/08/2013 at 16:38

As yet I don't have a number, however, it would be nice to come back to this race. I shall try not to be stupid this time.

Nice to see some of the old sages still banging good mileages and good times, and an encouraging wave to the new friends that I've yet to meet.

(16 miles for me today, 13 were very nice thankyou, and 3 were from a D-List horror film).

26/08/2013 at 17:09

Go on Blisters you know you want to. thres only 12 people on the fetchie list.

26/08/2013 at 23:26

BadgerBoy- as it says on the race website, the race will be closed down after 5 hrs.  Obviously you can still complete the run but the road closures in the final mile will be lifted and the marshals stood down so you might want to take a map of the route with you.

27/08/2013 at 08:55

I understand that Shadowfax. If I'm not at least in with a chance of sub-5 I won't be at the starting line, and if I do go a bit over 5h then I'll content myself with the time from my own watch.

Blisters    pirate
28/08/2013 at 23:13

I'd think that the finish line would continue for a bit beyond the 5 hour marker. It's inside the Stadium, and they are nice people. The last time I did it in 4:17 and there was no signs of it closing down imminently. In 2012 there were 25 people who had official results after 5 hrs.

6.5 miles today. Acting like a runner. Just the other 20 to do.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.