Abingdon Marathon 2013

501 to 520 of 1,032 messages
seren nos yn canu    pirate
27/09/2013 at 14:58

realised going to have to leave home by about 5 :30 to get there. In the past we have slept over......never mind....

27/09/2013 at 18:51
Zirion wrote (see)

Anyone on the list who's aiming to just scrape under the 3h05m London qualification target? I'd love to have some others on the start line who I know are aiming for something similar so that we can form a pack.  I can't be alone in not quite being good enough for sub 3, but having a chance at qualifying.

I forgot about this thread (but not the race itself obviously!) until the envelope came through the door today.

Zirion, I'm in a similar boat to you - have been following Hal Higdon Advanced, told everyone my target is 3:10, which it was when I signed up with the plan of GFA for VLM 2015. But due to the GFA change my heart says go for 3:05, and the VLM ballot smurf yesterday has only made this thought stronger!

McMillan etc predict me at 3:00 based on my 10 mile PB (haven't done a fast HM course but am confident I'd be in 85-86 min HM shape after doing 88mins at a very tough Isle of Wight HM). I know I won't manage sub 3 - I've seen quicker guys than me take several attempts to get there.

I know several people running Abingdon this year, but all either sub 3 or 3:15+. Hopefully I can spot you at the start, as I'm in agreement that it would be nice to have some others around with the same goal...

27/09/2013 at 19:28

Dr. Dan those long runs are more than adequate and I bet psychologically you're glad you re did the 20. They say your five longest runs need to add up to 100 miles and you're over that so all looking good.

Zirion always pleasing to get the 24 in the bank, again psychologically on race day you can tell yourself you did 24 already so the distance won't seem so intimidating.

10 @ MP for me this morning ran with a club mate which was a good thing as I was pretty tired and on my own I'm not sure I'd have stuck at pace. Three hard runs in four days took its toll but the final week of hard work so more out of necessity than anything else. The wind was back with a vengeance too so to hit MP over ten miles on an undulating course in the wind will do nicely. I have had to change my Physio appointment from Saturday morning to next Thursday which means another long run with a dodgy hip, not ideal by any means but it does ease off overnight and I'm sure it's just tight muscles around the piriformis which is easily remedied. 

27/09/2013 at 20:40

Race pack arrived here too. Talk about low-key. I like it.

27/09/2013 at 20:54

Starting to get lively on here, and very real with the race pack coming  

Must admit Dachs, seemd just like any race pack - none of that glossy magazine nonsense! I've not used one of those foam backed chips before though - can't help thinking all that extra weight will add valuable seconds 

27/09/2013 at 22:11

Oh dear. The pirates have invaded the thread  (Waves at Cake and Seren)

Happy to receive my number today along with many other birthday cards and presents. Also a good excuse for a rest day.

Caffine depletion for 2 weeks out, 5 SiS gels at 9, 12, 15, 18, 21 (inc 2 - 3 caffine ones). Also beetroot juice and carb load on Thurs up to Fri lunch (basically double platefuls of everything!). I'll down both of those lucozades on course as well (and some jelly babies if that family are back handing them out at 15m!).

My last race is this Sunday (a local HM which was my first ever race 4 yrs ago). 

Well done on getting into VLM Dr D.

27/09/2013 at 22:11

My race pack arrived this morning too, and I've proudly posted a photo of my number on my Facebook page....... It's 409 btw, so if you see me on the day please give me a wave! 

I will leave my predicted time as it is, although it's more of a hoped for time really. Abingdon is my first marathon so really not sure whether it's realistic or not. 

I agree with the 'feeling very real' comments, I got a bit ahead of myself yesterday in all the excitement of getting a ballot place in the London Marathon (still can't believe my luck! ), but the postman brought me back to reality today!

22 miles on the planner for Sunday, seems a long, long way so can't wait to get it done and dusted. Hope everyone is feling confident and ready to deal with taper madness! 

Blisters    pirate
27/09/2013 at 23:33

What do you mean "Invaded" Keir. Some folks worked hard to gain that logo. I just blagged it.

(Does that count as blatant showing off?)

At the moment I'm in two minds whether to wear my running club vest or a nice yellow one with pockets for gels at the back.

27/09/2013 at 23:47

I'm so excited! (apparently today's posts are brought to you by 80s music...)

I'm #523. (maybe it's obvious, but if you don't want your real name to be available then don't post your race number!).  I'll be the one in the blue and red Barnet & District AC vest.

Dachs - that was exactly what I thought re: the pack.  Nice not to be bombarded with a million pointless adverts or useless pieces of information.

Ballasteros: Looks like we're in absolutely the same boat.  I reckon I'm in 86-87 min HM.  I'm pretty certain I need to run the perfect race to get the qualification, but committed to trying.  Will be heading out slow for the first two km - all my PBs have come off slowish starts and then picking people off one by one.  I'll look out for you at 26.19 miles 

Total long runs are 24, 24, 21, 21, 19, so got 9 miles to spare on my 100 if anyone needs some.

Just about to head out for today's run.  It's almost 44 hours since I started yesterday's run.  Surely that shouldn't be possible?!? 

27/09/2013 at 23:47

PS Happy Birthday Keir.

28/09/2013 at 08:20
Happy birthday Keir.
Weather here is perfect today and it turns windy tomorrow (20 mph) so I'm taking the decision to do my last long one after work. It's a paced run so I've more chance of hitting it today rather than after a couple more days rest. My last long one was Monday and I took a (much needed) rest day yesterday so it's all systems go. 1 mile easy 18 @ MP. If I don't hit MP I'm not too bothered its a tough ask on your own so I'll just put my head down and what will be will be.
I'm getting really excited/nervous now. Once we're into taper it all starts to get real. I can't wait to get started.
Zirion nice long runs there a fair few over 20 which takes the worry of the distance out of the equation. I've done a 24 and two 21's too
Blisters    pirate
28/09/2013 at 09:52

Z said

"Just about to head out for today's run.  It's almost 44 hours since I started yesterday's run.  Surely that shouldn't be possible?!?"

Regular runners count that as a rest day.
You'll be on doubles soon enough. That's the way to high mileage.

28/09/2013 at 13:20

Happy birthday for yesterday Keir!

Yippee - all long runs now done and dusted for me!!! 25 miles in 3:07. The pace was actually 7:16 at mile 20, and (relatively!) comfortable. The 1.5M long hill after that lead to the wheels coming off a bit over the last 5, and it dropping to 7:29 overall, whihc was actually close to target 7;30 anyway, and quite happy with that, as it was fairly warm and humid too.

Pretty shattered now, but at least I'm not near passing out like the 25 miler I did in baking heat before VLM 2011!

Let the taper begin!!

28/09/2013 at 14:03

Did my final long run this morning. 22 miles, so a good confidence boost. Was an incredibly hilly route, so the pacing was a fair bit slower than I'll be aiming for at Abingdon, but felt good and hopefully the hills will have done me good strength-wise.

The taper starts here, along with the "must not get ill" paranoia! 

28/09/2013 at 17:48

All done thank god, final long run in the bag, 1 mile easy 17 miles @ MP + 5 secs 1 mile easy. Legs are shattered and the last mile easy was out of necessity but five days after a hard 24 and windy conditions I'll take that and from here on in its recovery and sharpening up. Looking forward to some easy weeks after the hard slog no more gains to be had from here on in so it's about getting to the start line in the best possible shape. Enjoy the taper madness everyone 

28/09/2013 at 19:07

Hope you had a good birthday yesterday Kier and good luck for tomorrow.

Well done everyone on getting those last long runs in, everyone seems pretty happy with the results. Zirion, I'll have those 9 off of you, I'm a bit short of 100. Bus, nice to get a 25 under the belt and at such a good time, you've got to be pleased with that. Steve, I always like the hillier long runs -can only do you good. Martin nice one especially after that 24. Good Luck with yours tommorrow Hissy Fit.

After four days of 'lergy' induced sleepless nights I mananaged a 10 mile at what was supposed to be MP today (which I have now adjusted to 6.49 after advice on here) but ended up MP -10 secs quicker. Felt OK in the circumstances, just need to try and get used to hitting the right pace.

Might have a go at a 6 mile at HM pace tomorrow, just to sharpen up a little for next weekends HM. 

28/09/2013 at 19:45

10 miles @ 7:02 pace this morning for me (3:05 MP  )

22 miles @ ~8min/mi tomorrow will take me to the magic 100 sum, then I can join the rest of you in the taper party. Which is just in time for me as this last week I recognised the first flutters of ITBS radiating down my left hand side and have been doing extra shifts on the foam roler to keep it at bay!

Zirion - I will be in a green Stubbington Green vest. Good point about race numbers and online anonymity, I'd prefer not to publicise my number although it won't take a genius internet stalker to work out who I am from my club name and forum name. On the day I think I'll be setting off somewhere around a 3:07:30 pace, will crank it up later if the combination of taper and caffeine make VLM GFA seem attainable and worth risking blowing up for 

28/09/2013 at 20:31

Leebe if you're knocking out 10 miles at MP - 10 secs you're in a good place. I struggled with mine. Sub 3 has to be your goal now. Have confidence. 

28/09/2013 at 20:42

Gels can be pinned inside shorts if you don't want to wear a belt.

Two gels would be the absolute max for me for a marathon, or one and an energy bar. You have to be careful to avoid nausea - these products can be sickly.

I'll be staying with my brother in Bicester the night before.  He generally goes out fast and slows down whereas I am even-paced or even do negative splits so it always gets a bit competitive in the last few miles.  Both our PBs are from Abingdon: him 3:35:15 (2003), me 3:35:02 (2008).

Good luck with the last 3 weeks of training/tapering.  I generally don't taper, but that's because I don't have much to taper from.

28/09/2013 at 22:37

Safety pinned? Isn't that a real pain to get them out while running?

Welcome to all the new people who've been posting. Definitely getting lively!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.