Abingdon Marathon 2014

101 to 112 of 112 messages
10/09/2014 at 22:56

So.....tell me about the course Understand it is flat and fast and 2 laps. Anything else?

Yesterday at 01:50

There are a few changes to the route this year.  I'll check against some of my old maps and let you know any fine details I can remember.

Used to be a track start but doesn't look like is this year, but they are keeping the track finish.  There was a final half mile or so going round and round Tilsley Park on taped off paths before arriving at the track (which surprised the unprepared) but again I'm not sure if this is being retained.

The beginning of the loop section going south is slightly uphill and there is a rise from the town centre back to the finish through the suburbs (again looking to be a different route to previously but probably still slightly uphill).

The course is quite twisty and turny and I think at the end of each loop there is a narrow path section full of wet leaves and a bollard to avoid at the beginning.

You'll like the course.

Yesterday at 06:30

Hi all,

I have a place for sale if anyone is still interested at this late stage.

I have also contacted the organisers, but let me know if anyone wants it.

Yesterday at 19:33

Due to injury, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to take part.

If anyone would like to purchase the place from me (£40 - unaffiliated fee), please get in touch ASAP as the cut-off point for transfers is looming!

Many thanks

Steve

Yesterday at 22:04

Still have a place for available (at cost price as an unaffiliated runner) if anyone is still interested at this late stage.

I have also contacted the organisers, but let me know if anyone wants it

Today at 00:50

T Rex- you'll be pleased to hear that the unexpected section through the park (just before the finish on the track) has gone.  This could be lost as the start of the loop is further south to avoid the danger spot at Preston road/ Wilsham rd junction where there were 3  directions of traffic and runners on different loops for the marshals to deal with

Today at 00:59

Old Shadowfax - thanks for that.  Perhaps you could give jason, PB hunting, a brief summary of the course?  He'd be grateful.

Today at 10:03

Is there a link to the route anywhere? I found the 2013 one somewhere on the net buried in google.

Not long now!

Today at 20:49

There is a route and elevation profile on the website now under the "About" tab.  My elevation profile from 2011 is below.  Obviously this was on the old course but it won't be significantly different.  It may look a bit mountainous but the altitude range is only from 51 to 72m

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/433328/gallery/race_abingdon_marathon_16-10-2011__elevation_0.jpg?width=350

Today at 20:56

Otherwise, the course is on closed roads for the 1st 3.5 miles, then on a well compacted gravel path for a short distance before hitting tarmac again by 4 miles.  There is a pinch point at 3.1miles between immovable bollards. Apart from a section of well compacted path from Mile 13 to 14.5 (and 22 to 23.5 on the 2nd loop), the race is on road or pavement.  And you finish with nearly a lap of the track.

Apart from running around a track for 26.2miles, i doubt there are many flatter marathons.  There is a slight sting at 24.1miles where you go through an underpass and so have to climb the slope on the way out!

Today at 20:58

Biggest climb looks to be about 16m - should be manageable.

I don't remember that enormous downhill after the start!

Not sure what sort of marathon shape I am in.  I'll have some idea after Hereford this weekend.

Today at 22:48

Hardly an enormous downhill- its only 18m over 3 miles as you head towards the river.  I can guarantee you notice it on a bike

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 112 of 112 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.