Abingdon Marathon

abingdon marathon waiting list

141 to 160 of 619 messages
21/05/2009 at 07:38

piranha  NUMBER SWAPPED
runner bean (next in line to be offered one...)
slow duck
c-cat
mitten
doc 117
dave magee
fast legs
Marathonman61
dalli
top banana
oldshoes
Holymoly
Eva MIdsole
Custard Cream
Mark Skev
Jacqui W
Wibles
Smiffie
dough boy
Kal3000
andyp
MatthewTickle
julie stribling2
chris
jforce
Jill jones
Rod Jones
Raoul
Senor spam
Les Pullen
Seb Coe
Wilfie
John Gallagher
Stet
David Johnson 9
Mark Reynolds
andy miles
Sezz
Sian Alberry 2
Edski675
Ben Fancourt
Paul Brinkley
clive smith 2
Stuchbury
The Pilch
Paul E Smith
Dorothy Lucas
Ian Rees 2

miss_harris

21/05/2009 at 12:04

Trembles with excitement as I'm top of the list........
Not that I'd wish pulling out of a marathon on anyone.  I've run three and had three where I never made it to the start line.  In fact, thinking of it, I could be the next one to get a place, and the first to hand it on to someone lower down the list!  I seriously hope not, but it would be a bit like some sort of party game!

Do give me a (e) shout if I can help at all, Beders.  Do you fancy death by total immersion in beer on Oct 18th?

21/05/2009 at 12:55
Beders (not Begers) as previously named. Thanks for arranging the number swap.  I have also booked a room so I guess all I have to do now is get ready for the training. Does anyone know if there will be pacer groups.  I would like to do sub 03:30 and Abingdon will be my third go. My best is 03:32.  I just want to do it once then move on. take care
21/05/2009 at 13:14

For all those people out there who have done Abingdon can you please let me know what the course is like etc, the bad parts. It says that it is mainly flat and a two lap course.  Thanks

21/05/2009 at 14:00

next on the list runner bean, as you say not wishing ill on anyone but statistics are definitely on your side ! Shame I'm not really a drinker, there again a capacino after would not go amiss !!!

I did it last year piranha and found it a very easy flat course, there were a few people who mentioned the running on and off pavements as a bit of a worry and sometimes you are on busyish roads but to be honest they were few and far between, the majority, like me, loved it and it certainly gave me a PB time and will be looking for another this year !

there's a thought fast legs, do you think you could carry me round in sub 3.45 ??? nahh suppose I'd better run it, would feel too much like cheating otherwise !

did my 3rd of the John Carr 5k's last night, wasn't 100%, slight strain down back of left leg but still managed 21.43, my second fastest time ever and my best set of 3 x 5k results by a long way, my 1st, 2nd and 4th fastest times ever. Just need to do some more speed work over the next few months and may even get another PB in october.

good luck with the training everyone (and the race numbers)

cheers

beders

21/05/2009 at 16:21

Can I join the back of the queue?

piranha  NUMBER SWAPPED
slow duck
c-cat
mitten
doc 117
dave magee
fast legs
Marathonman61
dalli
top banana
oldshoes
Holymoly
Eva MIdsole
Custard Cream
Mark Skev
Jacqui W
Wibles
Smiffie
dough boy
Kal3000
andyp
MatthewTickle
julie stribling2
chris
jforce
Jill jones
Rod Jones
Raoul
Senor spam
Les Pullen
Seb Coe
Wilfie
John Gallagher
Stet
David Johnson 9
Mark Reynolds
andy miles
Sezz
Sian Alberry 2
Edski675
Ben Fancourt
Paul Brinkley
clive smith 2
Stuchbury
The Pilch
Paul E Smith
Dorothy Lucas
Ian Rees 2

miss_harris

David Rose

21/05/2009 at 20:42
Could you please add Mick Bridgeland and Wendy King to your list?  Thanks!
22/05/2009 at 09:34

piranha  NUMBER SWAPPED
slow duck
c-cat
mitten
doc 117
dave magee
fast legs
Marathonman61
dalli
top banana
oldshoes
Holymoly
Eva MIdsole
Custard Cream
Mark Skev
Jacqui W
Wibles
Smiffie
dough boy
Kal3000
andyp
MatthewTickle
julie stribling2
chris
jforce
Jill jones
Rod Jones
Raoul
Senor spam
Les Pullen
Seb Coe
Wilfie
John Gallagher
Stet
David Johnson 9
Mark Reynolds
andy miles
Sezz
Sian Alberry 2
Edski675
Ben Fancourt
Paul Brinkley
clive smith 2
Stuchbury
The Pilch
Paul E Smith
Dorothy Lucas
Ian Rees 2
miss_harris
David Rose
mick bridgeland
wendy king

sorted ! blimey over 50 people on the list !!!

just need some number doners now 

22/05/2009 at 14:57
hi ,beders this list will soon be longer than the entries for the race
23/05/2009 at 10:02

Hi, I can't beleive there are already over 50 people on this list, but this is obviously a very popular race ! I ran the FLM (my second marathon), wanted to break 4 hours having done 4:08 in Berlin in September.

The warm weather defeated me so I only managed 4:20.

I' m determined to break 4 hours and when I read about Abingdon a couple of weeks ago it seemed the perfect race to do this, but now it's already full !

Could you please add me to the bottom of the list, not sure how successful this will be, but I guess if I'm not on the list I definitely won't get in !

If I don't get in, I wondered about entering the Leicester Marathon on 18th Oct, has anyone run this one too ? I don't think there is a limit so, presumably I could wait to see if I get in to Abigndon, and if not, enter Leicester instead ?

Anyway, here's hoping (not that I wish anyone to get injured, as I'm sure has already been said many times on this thread).

Thanks

Mark

23/05/2009 at 10:14
Quite a few RW people did Leicester a couple of years ago because Abingdon was cancelled that year.  I trained for it, but ended up pulling out three days before, after completing every training run on my four month plan.  This was because I tripped over and smashed up my knees: was totally gutted! 
Anyway, I think Leicester is not as fast a course as FLM and Abingdon, as it is a bit hilly in comparison.  But I think it is probably the flattest UK autumn marathon not counting Abingdon.  Others who know more may wish to correct me though.......
23/05/2009 at 11:28
Similarly, I was wondering whether to do the New Forest marathon if I don't get in.  I've heard it described as 'undulating' but the course profile doesn't look as if there's any really bad hills in it.  Anyone opinions on how it would compare against Leicester as an alternative?
23/05/2009 at 13:35

piranha  NUMBER SWAPPED
slow duck
c-cat
mitten
doc 117
dave magee
fast legs
Marathonman61
dalli
top banana
oldshoes
Holymoly
Eva MIdsole
Custard Cream
Mark Skev
Jacqui W
Wibles
Smiffie
dough boy
Kal3000
andyp
MatthewTickle
julie stribling2
chris
jforce
Jill jones
Rod Jones
Raoul
Senor spam
Les Pullen
Seb Coe
Wilfie
John Gallagher
Stet
David Johnson 9
Mark Reynolds
andy miles
Sezz
Sian Alberry 2
Edski675
Ben Fancourt
Paul Brinkley
clive smith 2
Stuchbury
The Pilch
Paul E Smith
Dorothy Lucas
Ian Rees 2
miss_harris
David Rose
mick bridgeland
wendy king
mark ring

and another !!

can't help you with either I'm afraid, have only done FLM several times and abingdon once and got my PB at abingdon so can testify it is definitely a fast course !

23/05/2009 at 15:09

EEK. Just got my race pack for Edinburgh next weekend.

Why do I keep entering marathons?

23/05/2009 at 15:58
hi KAL 3000,i did the NEW FOREST MARATHON some years back vaguely remember it as underlating not over hilly mind the forest trails are quick you can get a decent time there but not a pb coarse,DUBLIN in oct would be better but not flat either not easy to get a flat coarse over 26.2 miles
23/05/2009 at 16:01
mitten have a good 1 next week thats the fastest marathon on uk soil but it's on the coast and mr wind comes out a lot did in 2005 3hr11  in a howling gale,not many coarses you can get them times in that weather
23/05/2009 at 16:06
hi KAL3000 just read your profile your aim is shakespear marathon a very nice run,but they do the half the same time,so when you get to 13 miles about a 1000+ head for the finish and just us fool hardy runners left,couldn't give you a time for the coarse the year i did it was the week after london and i only got 3hr 32 that day
Edited: 23/05/2009 at 16:07
23/05/2009 at 21:12
Thanks marathonman, guess my profile is out of date ... I did Shakespeare in April & enjoyed it. Yes it got a little lonely after the half left! Thanks for the info on new forest
23/05/2009 at 21:49
Similarly, I was wondering whether to do the New Forest marathon if I don't get in.  I've heard it described as 'undulating' but the course profile doesn't look as if there's any really bad hills in it.  Anyone opinions on how it would compare against Leicester as an alternative?
23/05/2009 at 21:51
Hmm ... sorry, it seems to have retreived my older post.?!
141 to 160 of 619 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.