Abingdon Marathon

381 to 400 of 1,103 messages
26/07/2012 at 21:23
Well it was a whopping 18 degrees here not a single glimpse of blue sky tho the clouds were in the way lol.
Luvsa how are you going to attack your 24? Is it the only one you do and I take it the longest run?? I've to one planned in fourish weeks it's my longest one and longest ever training run but it's on the plan so getting done. I think I'll set off a bit slower than usual.
Today I did my planned 22 in 2:34:31. Average pace bang on 7:00 min/miles which I'm quite happy as all my long ones seem to be consistent and I was a bit worried with the extra couple of miles!! First 11,1 1:19:13 second 11, 1:15:18 so negative split. I was pretty whacked in the last half mile but there's still a long way to go yet and happy with progress so far.
Barry my gym is roasting too, there's air con but it doesn't work too well I always get filthy looks of the perfectly manicured ladies for dripping sweat all over their treadmills lol
Got a couple of 6 and 4 doubles at easy pace th next two days but shifts are making them difficult to fit in does anyone think it would matter if I did two straight 10's at easy pace??
26/07/2012 at 23:22

MG-I never 'attack' the 20+ mile runs.  I always try to 'enjoy' them as long, slow affairs.  The objective being 'time on feet'.  They come out around 3:20-3:35, so 8-9mm.  I think if I did them faster, I'd probably struggle to recover quickly enough to be able to hit the 70 miles per week target.  What I will do closer to Abo are specific runs of 10 miles @ mp to hopefully make sure it's not a shock to the system!

I see you can handle specific mp sessions plus long runs @ mp minus 30 secs, so I'd say you must be in good shape for 2:45-2:50?  I rarely do doubles, standard run is 14miles, so I'm sure you could manage consecutive 10 miles easy

26/07/2012 at 23:27

P.S. I will do a 24 miler every week up until taper time unless there's another race in the same week.

27/07/2012 at 00:08

MG, Luvsa, -  wow! I know I maybe don't run quite as seriously as most do on these threads, and I am only targeting sub 3:30 at Abo rather than a PB (3:23) or even a 3:15 GFA, but you make me feel like a right lightweight!

My heaviest training was for last year, at which I did the Spitfire 20 race, one other 20, a handful of 15 - 18 milers and a couple of half races, including Henley the week before. I only went over 50 miles for 2 weeks.

I raced the 20 at half mara pace for the first 12 and then slowed to MP +30s for the last 8. The rest I just ran to how I felt - though I did, and do, try to do progressive 3 mile blocks on my serious mid-distance runs (12 - 15 miles, with  the last 3 much  slower as a warm down)

I do just make it up as I go along though!

27/07/2012 at 00:13

MG - you KNOW those manicured, pedicured, coiffeured and er, Range-rover-icured ladies love to watch you sweat

27/07/2012 at 08:13

Sounds like you had a good race then Chillies, was it in Crowthorne?

Like the effort of the first mile rep Luvsa  Im sure your 10k times will start reflecting your training sooner rather than later.

Nice looking 22 there Martin, pretty swift as well, without putting to much pressure on you, i bet your marathon time is going to get a serious bashing! You looking forward to the 5m race Sunday?

27/07/2012 at 09:46

MG - That's a cracking 22 at this stage. Don't peak too soon now ! Plenty of time still. It's difficult fitting around shifts etc but IMHO the point of a 6 + 4 double day is recovery. You won't really achieve that doing 10 all atone. Better to sacrifice the mileage a bit and maybe just do the 6 each day. You're not going to lose anything by missing the two 4s out but it just might compromise things for the proper quality sessions when they come round

Agree with Luvsa that almost the slower the better for the truly long ones over 20 - they should be all about testing the system to cope with time on feet from point of view of energy levels etc etc. Interested to see you're planning a failry monster 24 every week. Can I ask why that long and not more conventional 20 or so ??? Has endurance been an issue for you in previous races ?

I think your make-it-up-as-you-go-along campaign looks pretty well thought out Chillies. You'll be weighing out your carbs next !!

Track for me this aft to try to run fast for a bit.

27/07/2012 at 17:39

BB– my club coach has given me a ‘5 run a week’ plan, however as I generally run everyday, he said I could fit in around this plan as many easy runs as I liked. I normally double up when I run with the club in the evening, so most weeks I will run 8 times.

Luvs– best of luck with your 24 miler on Sunday. I like you, do my very long runs at 8-9mm, however I might only do one or two runs over 22 miles. 24 miles LSR every week is impressive. Have you done this before for previous marathons?

MG– very good 22 at this stage. You certainly are in good shape, and you must be positive on your target.

I am hopefully looking for around 18 miles on Sunday. Hopefully will be cooler over the weekend.

Best of luck to anyone racing this weekend

Edited: 27/07/2012 at 17:40
27/07/2012 at 17:41
Had the decision taken away from me, got all dressed and out the door but my knee was a bit sore so I took the sensible decision to head back and take a rest day. Probably the effects off the long run going slightly too fast. Thanks for all the advice tho!
Fraser I am away for two weeks start of sept so my fitness is going to take a bit of a dive then back to 5 weeks of training then race day.
27/07/2012 at 18:05

Meep - yes it was the Crowthorne trail race - I think it was my 7th - I really like the distance and the repeated hill. I'm guessing you know the race?

Just back from a very slow 10 in the same forest but the Ascot side of it. Hot and humid, but not as bad as the last few days.

FW - lol - I suppose I do put a reasonable amount of thought into my making it up as I go along! I just don't set out a day by day itinerary. My approach is sort of, If I feel like doing a long easy run on a Monday instead of taking a rest day, then I'll do it

27/07/2012 at 22:58

Meep-Maybe I should give up racing & just concentrate on training

Chillies-It's quite surprising what you can do by gradual increases in mileage over time.  When I first started running four & half years ago, I never imagined or had plans on running a marathon, it's all just sort of evolved!

FW-I do 24 mile long runs to toughen me up mentally for the torture that potentially lies ahead in every marathon!  Once you've done a few I find you do get used to them & repetition seems to condition the mind & body.  Mind you, it doesn't matter how relaxed I do them, come 20-21 miles, the last few miles can't end fast enough!

In 2 of the 3 maras I've done so far, I've found myself struggling from 16 miles onwards, so I do think I have endurance issues

MG-Wise decision backing off when part of your body doesn't feel right.  If I had made the same decision last year when my calf was giving problems, I probably wouldn't have had to spend a whole month unable to run as a result.

AC-Yes, it's pretty much standard for me.  I may reduce the distance of other runs every third week as a cut-back week.  But won't try doing 3x20 mile runs in a week  again.  Buggered my calf & out for a month

Well, with all this talk about long runs, I haven't been able to get out to run today because of work pressures.  That makes 2 consecutive non-running days.  Looks like a 16 on Saturday & 24 Sunday to maintain 60 for the week. Hmm. I might struggle a bit.

Hope everyone's training doesn't get too distracted by the Olympics

28/07/2012 at 10:19

Whata brilliant bit of TV last night. 

Inspired me to a 5K PB this morning of 20:26. A 26 second PB.  Long run planned tomorrow. 

Loving the talk and insight about long runs....... 

28/07/2012 at 17:24

No running today cos I've been down to Box Hill (well, Mickleham, on the flat bit). It was fantastic to watch the boys controlling the peloton. Shame the peloton were a minute behind the leaders!

That 2nd breakaway started at the top end of the fifth loop - when I saw it it was only about 12 seconds ahead, and the peloton were less than 3 minutes behind the original break. Shame no other country thought to help out at the front. MAssive disappointment, but we can't have everything.

28/07/2012 at 23:17

AGF-Well done on the 5k PB!  Just make sure you don't over do it tomorrow on the long run

Chillies-Looks like Olympics Fever is here!

16 miles done this evening.  Can I do 24 tomorrow without smashing myself up??

29/07/2012 at 09:51
Enjoying the Olympics so far it's a bit too far to go from up here and would mean an overnight stay which I'm guessing would be expensive. Shame about the cycling but looks like it was gb v rest of the world.
Managed to do an easy four and an easy six yesterday, I think my knee troubles may be down to my itb which isn't a worry as it's easily solved. Done plenty of stretches and came through ok.
Five mile race planned for three o clock today but had a surprise 60th party for the mother in law so had a few pints of cider but hopefully that should be well out of the system come race time.
Next week is a bit if a drop back week and the focus moves more towards some speed work, gals to get out of the base mileage phase as I seem to have struggled of late.
29/07/2012 at 10:37

AGF -  Congrats on the PB.

Chillies  -  Bad result for the cycling and even worse coverage. I know hindsight is great but surely Team GB knew what was going to happen, so why did n't they send Chris Froome or Millar to sit on the back of any breakaway which would have forced the rest of the peloton to chase and if they had n't caught the breakaway we would have a chance of a medal.

MG - I have my ITB freed off every visit to the physio and I'm used to it now but first time I had it done -ouch.

Luvsa -  Massive respect 40 miles in 2 days.

18 miles for me this morning, done in 2 hours 20.

29/07/2012 at 14:10

Well done on the big pb AGF, nice confidence booster.

Nice quick 18 Barry, quicker than my 20 yesterday at 8min miles, rounded off highest ever week of 73m.

Wouldnt fancy 16 in the evening then 24 the next day Luvsa

Good luck with the race Martin!

29/07/2012 at 15:10

MG - good call on the knee, it is not worth risking anything at this stage. Good luck  with the race this afternoon.

Luvsa - hope the 24 miles today went well. Certainly am impressive weekend, if not mind boggling.

AGF - well done on the PB. You are certainly living up to your name.

BB - well done on the speedy 18 miler. 

Meep - great mileage for the week at this, if I am lucky I may peek at this level in September.

Just under 19 miles (7.54av) for me today. Got a bit warm my the end, and picked up a blister on a toe, which hopefully will be OK for tomorrow.

Now fingers crossed, GB picks some medals up today.

29/07/2012 at 18:03

I clearly don't understand the tactics in cycling. Why doesn't the best sprinter in the team just tag on to any break away groups and make darned sure he's in the mix for the final sprint. It's fun to watch in a way but weird how it's a 5 hour build up to a 2 or 3 minute sprint at the end. Obviously very tactical and complex and way above my pea brain !

Nice 19 from you AC and big weekend miles from Luvsa. Likewise a very solid 18 from Barryand 20 from mee meep. It's all about the miles just now

Had you managed a few pints by 9.50 this morning MG - impressive stuff !

First 20 of the campagn for me. Went much better than last Sunday's 19. Pace 7.48 for first 10 and 7.33 for second and all felt fairly controlled. Carried water today which I think my system really needed

29/07/2012 at 22:46
Hello FW and other fellow Abingdon runners. After missing out initially, and settling on Leicester marathon, I've managed to bag a place at Abingdon. Looking forward to this one - not too far from home, and from what I understand it's a flat course.

I'm currently churning out the long runs. Had a long 24miles on Saturday which felt good.

Shame about Paula Radcliffe - it almost seemed inevitable it would end this way
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.