Abingdon Marathon

621 to 640 of 1,103 messages
02/09/2012 at 11:47

Very nice long run BB, you seem to have got your mojo back!

Good to hear the calf held up AC, hopefully thats behind you now.

Be careful Luvsa, 7 weeks to go

Like the look of that run yesterday Also Ran, keeps them interesting.

Lol Loulabell, sounds like you much prefer the trails like me.

Hows the calves AGF, any improvements?

16 easy for me yesterday, cutback week leading to a half marathon next Sunday so hopefully nice and fresh.

02/09/2012 at 12:15

Hi Everybody,

I entered Abingdon Marathon ages ago, but now realise that there's no way I can get the time I want without a pacer  I've found a willing pacer, but haven't got a place.  If anybody has got an unwanted place (or knows anybody with an unwanted place), pleeeeeease could I do a number swap?  (Abingdon Marathon allows number swaps, as long as the organisers are informed before the event.)

Thank you

SR3
02/09/2012 at 17:48
18 miles slow (very!) this morning. Lovely to be up early and running along the Thames towpath before most sensible / normal folk have even woken up! Hope everyone's niggles are ok. Off to see physio for ankle niggle tomorrow. Am hoping he'll also be able to give some advice on achey arms which still kick in around 12 miles. As a first time marathoner I had no idea of the physical toll of upping the miles! I now understand what you all mean by my first target should be to get to the start line!

Thanks for your contined advice for a slow first timer!
Edited: 02/09/2012 at 17:49
02/09/2012 at 23:59

Managed 16 today, finishing on 62 for the week.  Cutback next week.  Not sure what I'll be doing yet with my current niggles.  Will probably take 2 complete days off & see how the body feels.  There's still time before the taper, so no need to start panicking just yet! 

03/09/2012 at 13:48

Loulabell – sounds like some good running.  Must admit I have not come across any serious mud for a few weeks now, I am sure it will not last.

Luvsa – take it easy. Your doing the right thing taking 2 days off.  Sometimes you have to forget what your plan says, and just listen to your body.

Barry – nice long run there. You seem to be back on the money.

Porridge – if you look back earlier in this thread, your see there are people with spare numbers.

SR3 – well done on the 18 miles. Best of the luck with the physio. Just keep going as you are, and you will get to the start & finish line.

My legs were still achy (do not know why) from Saturday, so only did an easy 4 1/2 miles this morning. Hopefully they will feel better tomorrow.

03/09/2012 at 17:06

SR3 -   Good long one, does n't matter how slow, time on your feet is very important.  Arms achy maybe due to not relaxing shoulders.

AC -   Yeah I'm actually feeling pretty good about my running at the mo, see how long it lasts til I start moaning again. Just over 4 recovery this afternoon in  the glorious sunshine.

03/09/2012 at 23:13

Thank you very much, Mr Calves.  While reading all those messages I actually managed to get a core session in!  (Well half a core session, anyway!)

You all sound so focussed and serious that my training seems inadequate.  I always think that though.

04/09/2012 at 17:01

Barry - glad you are feeling better. I find there is always something to moan about, ask my wife

Porridge - Never thought of doing core exercises while reading the messages here, must try that.

Just a steady 7 miles this morning. Sunny and cool Legs feeling better now.

Edited: 04/09/2012 at 17:01
04/09/2012 at 17:24

Hi

Unfortunately I now cant participate so I have a place going spare. Gutted as I sweated blood to get it. have just cancelled my booking at the nearest B&B advertised on the website also fyi. Get in touch if you want to purchase the place for the entry price.

04/09/2012 at 19:13

AC -  Good news on your legs, I always find the world is a better place when I'm running well.

Just over 8 this afternoon, 1.5 WU  3 x 11mins with 3 mins rec 1 WD, pace for efforts 6:51,6:54, 6:52 and really enjoyed the run.

05/09/2012 at 02:37

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear you can't take your place.  I would love to buy it from you, if it's still available.

Cheers,

Ms P Power

05/09/2012 at 16:41

Barry - good running again. Always hard to do long efforts on your own.

Very quiet on here, everyone must be holiday.

10.5 slow miles for me this morning. Although slow, did not feel that easy. Club track session tomorrow night, and then Grunty Fen HM on Sunday. Sunday will be interesting, as it will be my first 100% race effort since my marathon in May. Will certainly give me a pointer as to what pace to adopt for Abo

05/09/2012 at 18:38

AC -  Yeah gone a bit quiet, hopefully pick up as we get closer. What's your plan for Sunday, is it quick course? My Half a couple of weeks ago was my first race since Feb and even though it was hard and not the result I wanted, it was good to be racing again.

8 miles for me this afternoon in the glorious sunshine.

Edited: 05/09/2012 at 18:40
06/09/2012 at 06:36

Morning all.  Joined this thread yonks ago but got bogged down in minutiae of life.  That cleared now checking back in.  Looks like some serious training going on.

My first time @ Abingdon.  For anyone done this before - can I ask - the Lucozade stations - are they in bottles or cups, and if bottle, is it the smaller 330ml or the 500ml ones that you can buy at most newsagents?  Thanks for any advice. 

Right, off for 8miles Threshold...

06/09/2012 at 08:00
Hello again!

Seems like lots of excellent training going on. Had a delve back to Fido's route description on the first few pages - would recommend a flick through to get the anticipatory juices flowing
06/09/2012 at 16:40

Shadowed - welcome back. In answer to your question, I cannot recall there were any Lucozade stations on the course, only water stations and the Fetch station. Unless this is something they are changing for this year. I wounder whether someone else out there would know?

SlokeyJoe - how is the training going?

Barry - Yes, it is a relatively quick flat course on Sunday. Although the 2 times I have run it, it has been windy, and quite warm. Might be warm, but hopefully no wind. My plan is go off at 1.30 pace (6.50s) and see how it goes, even if it does not get pretty.

06/09/2012 at 17:12

Shadowed -  Lucozade stn at about 13 and 21 ish(same stn), small bottle if I remember right.   It was manned by young army cadets last year on a narrow track which opens out with a sports field on the left think they were playing rugby last year, any memories coming back AC?

Welcome back SJ  are you targeting sub 3 there's a few quick guys on here inlcuding Fraser  from the Sub 3:15(but really full of fast guys/girls thread)

6.5 miles in the sunshine (again ) this afternoon.  plan called for  1 WU, 3 at brisk pace and WD.  Pace for quick ones was 6:49,6:53,6:36 so pleased with that.

Edited: 06/09/2012 at 17:13
06/09/2012 at 20:24

Two lucozade stations is good to know, nice touch from the organisers.

Definitely going to have a read through of fidos description again SJ, probably the day before the race as dont want to get too nervous .

How did the 8 @ threshold go SR? Welcome back!

Nice quick 3 middle miles Barry, have you a race anytime soon, you seem to be flying again after your last race.

Strange you should say about a harder than usual 10.5 AC, i did 12 Tuesday morning and though it was easy pace it felt awful, legs were heavy and hamstrings through to lower back felt awful. think it was a case of hard work at work tightening everything up. slightly better now, just need to be better by Sundays HM, though a 1pm start with26 degree forecast doesn't sound great! Good luck with your own AC!

06/09/2012 at 21:37

Shame I could not have done this marathon Abingdon, but it seem's my chance of sub 3 has gone, yet alone better.

I will have to hope family, if and when, might do better.

I will not be running this race now, shame as would liked to have had a look at those lakes.

Edited, as had a few beer's.

Edited: 06/09/2012 at 21:41
07/09/2012 at 05:52

Thanks Aching Calves and Barry B.  Good to know.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.