Abingdon Marathon

641 to 660 of 1,103 messages
07/09/2012 at 07:30
Yes, training is going well AC. I've been following P&D 12 week 55-70 but replacing the recovery runs with cross training (swim/bike) to ease the burden on the legs. Seems to be working well and I'm feeling strong and have my first tri race next Saturday as a spin off benefit - eek!

Barry, yes the plan is to go for sub 3 which will be quite a stretch but we all like a challenge don't we?

Good luck on Sunday AC and MeeMeep
07/09/2012 at 12:34

Had my Long run today, 22m at a fairly constant 7:30 min/m pace. I am having the next two days off in the hope that I can shake off a niggle that won't seem to go away.

Is anyone doing Maidenhead HM next week in preparation for Abingdon. I am assuming it is going to be a fast, flat course?

Good luck to those racing this weekend.

Edited: 07/09/2012 at 12:35
07/09/2012 at 13:52

Hello all,

Lack of preparation means I will not be able to take up my place this year and so have   a place available for the original entry cost. 

Please message me if you would like to take this place. 

Cheers.

07/09/2012 at 14:06
Barry B wrote (see)
It was manned by young army cadets last year on a narrow track which opens out with a sports field on the left think they were playing rugby last year, any memories coming back AC?

Barry - I think this is an indication of how my race was going last year, funny how the memory tends to block out bad/painful experiences.

Good pace there again, obviously the new plan is agreeing with you.

Meep – thanks, and also best of luck with your HM. Mine is 10.30 start, which is better, but still thinks will be warm.

Solent  - sorry to hear the bad news, I am sure you will be back.

SlokeyJoe - Thanks, and enjoy your tri race tomorrow. All good training for Abo.

Also-ran - good 22 miler there. Good decision to rest up. We are not too many weeks from taper now.

Club track session last night. wu and then 50mins fartlek, consisting of 50, 100, 200 & 300m efforts. Kept it relatively easy as could feel my left leg adductor. Hopefully should be OK for Sunday.

Edited: 07/09/2012 at 14:07
08/09/2012 at 16:30

AC/Meep   - Good luck for tomorrow.

AR -  I'm doing Maidenhead next Sunday, yeah I think it's flat I've read there was a bit of confusion at the start last year so hopefully that has been sorted.

10/09/2012 at 08:16

Just over 24 miles yesterday at 8:00 avg quite a lumpy route with one hard hill at 17%.  Very pleased with the run but got some bad news last night, one ot the guys off the sub 3:30 thread died of a heart attack last Monday, I had never met him but he was always very supportive and will be missed.

How did the racers get on?

10/09/2012 at 09:29

Barry - first of all sorry to hear of the bad news, it keeps everything in perspective. Good 24 miler by the way. Following my race yesterday, hopefully this makes your race a few weeks back does look not quite so bad. see below

As planned I set off at 1.30 pace. This is a flat course. My splits were as follows:- 6.39, 7.09, 7.12, 7.24, 7.20, 7.34, 7.43, 7.48, 7.46, 8.03, 8.43, 9.20, 8.36, (0.18) 8.07. Chip time 1.42.38 (PW!) Although very gutted, it has as I wanted told me where I am at the moment, although maybe not in the fashion I had expected.

This coverts to a marathon time of around 3.30-35, so if put my sensible head on, this makes a MP of 8.00 for Abo. I suppose you have to get on with, and accept this time around you are not in the shape you want. This will be make Abo more enjoyable, as now I will be going off at a more realistic pace, although still cannot get my head around doing a marathon tempo at 8.00 min miles

Meep - hope your race went better

Edited: 10/09/2012 at 09:29
10/09/2012 at 19:26

Sounds like a bad day AC ,  did you make a conscious decision to slow down or was there nothing in the legs/tank. were the last 3 as grim as the splits suggest.   At least you gave it a go and you have taken the small positive from it and can plan for Abo, better a bad half than a bad full one. Currently looking at 7:40's as a target for Abo, see how Maidenhead goes this Sunday, but I think we'll be close to each other at the finish. 5 miles recovery for me early this morning, legs not happy for first mile then not too bad.

11/09/2012 at 14:23

Barry - yes, I am afraid the last 3 miles were grim as the splits suggest. I felt I had no energy as this point (as bad, if not worse, as the last 3 miles of a marathon). My legs did not feel too bad, although still a little stiff on my run this morning, which I am amazed at given my av pace on Sunday was 7.48 for just 13.1 miles!

I have another HM in 2 weeks time, so more of a steady (realistic) start required I think. I also have planned 17 miles (last 6 at MP) on Sunday. So might try 7.45s for the last 6 and see how that goes. If this is too hard, then will have to consider slower next time, otherwise I might join your 7.40 train at Abo.

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 14:25
11/09/2012 at 17:51

Looks like i made it the hatrick then, not going to dissect it again as my head is wrecked, will just say that 4m in i wasnt feeling great at all, slowed right down from here to the end, 1:32. Not sure what time to aim at now, no other races before so a couple of monster sessions 3 or 4 weeks out to help with the decision.

Also sounds like you had a rough one AC, lets hope these HM are the bad races!

Very nice 24 Barry, good average pace, nice confidence builder!

11/09/2012 at 19:41

meep -  we all seem to be having a mare with our races, better now than in October though, hate to ask but what were you aiming for for the half, any problems with the heat?

AC -  Very welcome on the 7:40 train.

8 miles for me this afternoon including 5 miles fartlek.

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 19:42
11/09/2012 at 20:24

Barry, minimum of sub 1:25, more in the region 1:23. Training going very well, all paces hit, so wait and see i guess.

Hopefully yourself and AR will smash Maidenhead and break the HM hoodoo this Sunday! 

12/09/2012 at 06:11

Question to the floor...

I've got a half marathon booked 7 days away from Abingdon.  Now, I have a moral dilemma!  Do I go all-out and try for a new PB (current is 01:29), OR, do I use this to 'feel' what Marathon Pace is during race conditions, so we could say go out for first 3 miles at conservative conversational pace, then ramp up to MP for the last 10(.1!) miles?  Will I ruin my chances at Abingdon by going out hard and obtaining a PB - anyone else done this or similar?  Keen to get thoughts of those who've done/contemplated similar....

12/09/2012 at 08:22

Meep -  Anything better than 1:37 will have me smiling but as its a flatter course 1:35 or thereabouts is the target. Hopefully AR  will do us proud, no pressure.

SR  - I raced a HM back in 2009(1:28) and ran my mara PB(3:16) a week later at Abo but I had not done much running for the previous 6 weeks due to injury and the HM was a test to see if the mara was possible.  So the sensible answer is no a week is too close to be racing  a HM.  What time are you aiming for at Abo?

12/09/2012 at 09:17

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for HM pace vs marathon pace, i.e. in terms of scaling up the minutes / mile from one to the other.

I've run two marathons but feel that I could / should run these faster in terms of pace, Currently I would say my half marathon pace would be 7.10 m/m (a lot slower than my HM PB of around 6.50 due to injuries and speed dropping over the last year) but my marathon pace for marathon PB pace would be around 7.44 (this was on a very hot day thought so clouds the issue somewhat).

Any thoughts on reliable predictors from one time to the other. As mentioned before, I have a similar issue to ShadowedRunner in terms of not peaking too early for Abo (although 3 weeks from HM to marathon).

12/09/2012 at 09:19

Oh, and good luck everyone running Maindenhead this weekend

12/09/2012 at 10:43

Stevan I swear by this:

feelrace.com/marathonperfect.html

12/09/2012 at 12:08

Stevan -  Always difficult converting times for mara, I've never been able to convert a raced HM to predicted Mara time, probably my fault going off to fast or not mentally tough enough.   But  your 6:50 HM does indicate a  quicker time than 7:44 mara, as long as this has been backed up with the training. In addition some people are more suited to longer distance running.  I would either use the a 20 miler to test your mara pace out, first 10 slow then second 10  at 7:30 and see how that feels or run the HM at 7:30.  I recently raced  a HM at 7:22 and am looking at 7:40's for Abo but that could changed depending on Maidenhead.

12/09/2012 at 13:25

Meep - sorry to hear that your race did also not go to plan. I still cannot understand how I only averaged 7.48 pace when I was doing better than that in training runs just a matter of a few weeks ago. I would not be surprise if you go faster in at least one of your training runs before Abo.

SR - as Barry has said, running a HM flat out the weekend before a Marathon is definitely going to effect your performance in the Marathon. I would say nothing faster then MP in the half marathon, and even then may be just for part of the race.

Stevan - you could also look at the RW's race time predictor . However, I found it little bit generous when it predicts a marathon time based on a HM time, although it might just be me.

12/09/2012 at 18:00

Hello Everyone. I hope your training is going well? 

Unfortunatly my leg niggle is still around, despite resting for a few weeks. So I have decided not to race. If anyone wants me to transfer race number please PM me. 

A repeated good luck to you all on race day !!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.