Abingdon Marathon

781 to 800 of 1,103 messages
03/10/2012 at 00:06

MG - bargain hunter! My best buy this year was a Musto fleece - I bought it online with a polo shirt which had all manner of loose stitching on it - I sent the shirt back and they refunded the whole order - FREE FLEECE!! 

Some seriously speedy talk on here now. I'm going to take what comes at Abo, because I don't think I can beat last year's 3:23. I'm thinking of running Windsor Half on Sunday at a reasonable pace, then go pretty much all out at Henley - I've run it 3 times, every time with quite a lot in reserve because it is the week before Abo. Then some extra rest the week leading up to the big one, and see what happens.

Also, having been computer-free for a month, I have just added up my mileage and my current Kayanos will have gone over 500 about 3 days before Abo - I have a new pair waiting for me - can't make up my mind what to do?

In other news, Mother in law is now in Hospital pretty much until we find a care home for her. Mrs C is greatly relieved and more importantly asleep!

03/10/2012 at 05:15

Chillies - Good news regarding your mother in law. If you are going to use your new shoes make sure you get at least one long run in them.

Martin -  Impressive shopping, I picked up(not bought) some of the Adidas Feathers a few weeks ago and they are incredibly light.

1.5 mile WU followed by 6 x 800's with 1 min rec 1 WD yesterday in the wind and rain,pace inbetween 6:10 and 6:22

03/10/2012 at 09:47

Hi all,

I'm marshalling again this year and really looking forward to seeing you super fast marathoners.I helped marshall 2 years ago and was positioned at the entrance to Milton Park so maybe there again?

Anyway hope all your training is going well and best of luck on the 21st

Edited: 03/10/2012 at 09:48
03/10/2012 at 14:21

Yey, I gt my race number. I'm so excited but also a bit nervous. I wont be the fastest and have only go up to 16.5 miles although I am going to do another long one this weekend. I managed that in 3.19 so should get to the 20m before the cut off.

Chillie's glad you are getting sorted with your Mother in Law. Great news about the free fleece too.

03/10/2012 at 14:45

Martin – what a bargain! Unfortunately no JJB shop near me.

TickTock – I agree about making your first mile the slowest, and usually failing. This is one advantage of running London, where you have no choice. Good speed into a headwind by the way.

Chillies – better news on your mother-in-law.  It’s always a tough decision on when to change trainers. I do all my training in Kayanos aswell.  You could always start running in the new pair now, rotating them with the old pair, and then you would have a choice at Abo, whether to go with the new ones, or use the older ones.

Barry – good quick 800reps in the wind and rain. It’s hard enough doing them when the weather is good.

Susiebe1 – many thanks. Without volunteers like you we would have no marathon to run.

Echytump – welcome, and yes only 2 1/2 weeks now.

11 miles slow for me this morning (av8.33), I am beginning to enjoy this taper thingy

Also my race number arrived this morning (No 359), cannot wait to get to the start line and let the fun begin

Edited: 03/10/2012 at 14:45
03/10/2012 at 16:05
Ha ha it's getting close now half a week into taper and my legs are feeling a bit fresher (all in the mind ).
Did a 12.5 today, 6 over a lump then had 6 flat which with the wind behind me I thought I would see if I could sustain MP. Splits where 6:42, 6:22, 6:23, 6:24, 6:19 and 6:35. Not very well paced but once I saw the times I just saw if I could sustain it and see if as usual I was shattered, surprisingly felt not too bad at the end so some sharpness is returning already. Another two and a half weeks and fingers crossed we'll be there.
Oh BTW keep an eye out for number 187
03/10/2012 at 16:24

I would say look out for no 389 but I will be well in the background.

03/10/2012 at 16:38

i am number 2

03/10/2012 at 16:39

aw Eckyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy you wont be at the back!!! you are stargirl!!!!

03/10/2012 at 16:51

AC -  That's got to be the thread motto -  Abingdon 2012 - Let the fun begin.

Martin -  Good speedy miles from you, glad to hear you're happier with them.

Susie -  Thanks for marshalling.

6 slow for me this afternoon, race no 846, thought my chip was missing then I spotted it.

03/10/2012 at 18:18
Yes can I echo what Barry says thanks in advance Susie for marshalling if it wasn't for the likes of you the likes of us couldn't run these races. I always try and say thanks on the way round but sometimes when your going through a bad patch I always come across grumpy lol.
Loulabell, no pressure then
03/10/2012 at 18:23

the marshalls at events are always amazing and agree with Martin and Barry,if not for them the events wouldnt happen.often the marshalls are out there many more hours than the runners in all weathers...im marshalling at Delapres duathalon in 2 weeks ,really looking forward to it-i think i may get very muddy

martin..yeah no pressure..i havnt tapered at all-im doing 30miles across the northdowns this Saturday

03/10/2012 at 20:18

Loulabell- woah that is huge, good luck with it.

8 last night easy, legs pretty good after Sunday's 18 and a rest. Feet up again today, but I got bored half an hour ago and jogged 2 miles in a torrential downpour. planning 6 and a gentle 3 before Windsor half on Sunday, and probably the same sort of week (rest, 8, 2, 6, rest, 3) next week before Henley half. Haven't got a sensible plan for race week other than to try to avoid putting on weight!

Looks like mrs C has got a place in a care home locally for Mother in law - £750 per week basic, so the flat will have to be sold. Bang goes 25% of my planned pension .

03/10/2012 at 20:26
Chillies we went through a similar situation with my nain, (dads dead too), she was in a shared room for a similar price it is a licence to print money shocking to think she worked her whole life and her life savings (house included) nigh on disappeared in 18 months. We were paying a fortune for haircuts, tights toothbrushes etc and they never even bothered doin her hair or anything. Scandalous situation but what can you do??
Are you racing the week before Abo? I have a 10k planned which is in our club champs so with two weeks of taper in my legs it'll be interesting to see where I am compared to this time last year!!
03/10/2012 at 21:10

Man-flu has meant I've been doing a pre-taper taper.  No running for 10 whole days.  Managed a 20 mile run on Sunday.  I've noticed the lack of consistent mileage in the fatigue lingering longer in the legs than usual.

Not really sure how to play it from here on in.  Got a 10k this Sunday.  Don't want to risk injury by doing too much, or go backwards by tapering as if I've been running normally over the last couple of weeks.

Will just have to proceed with caution!

Hope everyone's enjoying the slow-down and getting wrapped in cotton wool 

03/10/2012 at 21:17

Same for me, Luvsa - no training at all last week thanks to a virus. Trying to pick it up again this week, but not entirely sure how much to do at this stage. Bah.

04/10/2012 at 00:01

MG15 - it is shocking - one of our friends went round the place with Mrs C today - she is an architect who has worked in valuations of care homes, hotels, etc - she reckons this place is as good as it gets, but profit levels in the sector are absolutely huge. It does feel like those who have worked hard, paid taxes all their lives, and saved get it taken away in the end. I suppose someone's got to pay to keep the state running in a civilised, equitable way. But that's enough politics

Racing this weekend and next (halfs) - unlike Loulabell's bonkers hilly 30 miler this weekend! I was 2 minutes slower than expected at Windsor last year (did 1:38:xx) and that will do me just fine, as will the same at Henley next Sunday. The remaining days will all be rest or short easy runs, although I might bazz round 3 miles at HM pace on the Saturdays. Good luck with the 10K - are you going at it full on?

04/10/2012 at 05:42

Diagnosis received ...IlioSacral Joint problem - Physio diagnosed, worked on and so fingers crossed all is not lost - off to trot now, let's see...

04/10/2012 at 07:07
Peter Collins wrote (see)

Same for me, Luvsa - no training at all last week thanks to a virus. Trying to pick it up again this week, but not entirely sure how much to do at this stage. Bah.

i have a rubbish cold too PC...

04/10/2012 at 07:09
LuvsaPB wrote (see)

Hope everyone's enjoying the slow-down and getting wrapped in cotton wool 

...am i the only one going in reverse and going UP in miles and not taper down?????

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.