Abingdon Marathon

801 to 820 of 1,103 messages
04/10/2012 at 07:28

Loula?............ Bonkers ?.................... yep  She is ace though and part of the CRAC team (Cake Runners AC)

Chillies I completely agree.Its terrible. My Uncle has alzheimer's and has had to have his home and all his belongings sold to pay for his care home.Its a huge amount of money and for very little.

Ooh Im so excited now and sooooo nervous.

Thanks too to all the Marshal's. I will Thank you on the day if you have not all gone home by the time I get there

04/10/2012 at 07:35

If anyone fancies taking part there's a mileage challenge against the Fetchies, me and Loulabell  are taking part.

Barry, only just saw this froma  few pages back!! oops sorry for not replying! yes, everyone keep adding to RW mileage challenge-hopefully Saturday i can add a good amount to it

04/10/2012 at 07:38

ok had a quick look-we need some miles on the RW chart!!

04/10/2012 at 07:39
Eckytump. wrote (see)

Loula?............ Bonkers ?.................... yep  

only on a Sunday

04/10/2012 at 07:39

and Ecks the marshalls will still be there and all smiley for you! you are gonna be fine!!

04/10/2012 at 08:33
Must be getting close to race day, we are top of the hot thread section just to the left of this page!!
Taking my first rest day in 19 today, I'll be chomping at the bit come tea time lol but got my long(ish) run tomorrow (17) so want to hit that as fresh as I can be, more for a confidence boost than anything else.
Chillies re the 10k is there any other way than eyeballs out apparently they say you need a day recovery for every mile raced so that should put me in tip top condition for the 21st.
Won't be long till we're frantically searching the 14 day weather forecast, I've already looked at the long distance one which is showing high pressure which allegedly means low wind
04/10/2012 at 11:27
Here is my weather forecaster of choice - could be worse!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/abingdon/ox14-5/daily-weather-forecast/325345?day=18

Sore foot has meant a light couple of weeks so ready to inverse taper now - last 20 tomorrow and then it's all short sharp stuff! Number arrived yesterday, ominously I've been given 313...which is 12s outside my PB. Would have hoped for number 259.....

Stay safe everybody
04/10/2012 at 12:42

I think, Loula, I'll try to fit in a medium to long run at the end of this week, just to reassure myself I'm fit to do this thing, then taper from there. Hope your cold clears up. Can I park at your place? or stay even!!!

04/10/2012 at 14:16

Loulabell – wow 30 miles hilly, rather you than me and good luck. Abo will feel like a stroll in comparison.

Shadowed – sounds like reasonable news. Take it easy in any case.

SlokeyJoe -

SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
 ominously I've been given 313...which is 12s outside my PB. Would have hoped for number 259.....

......my number is 359, so I hope that is not tempting fate

3 ½ easy this morning. Club track session tonight. Should be 5 x 1miles.

Good luck to the racers this weekend

Edited: 04/10/2012 at 14:17
04/10/2012 at 14:25

AC, you will be twice as fast as me though i can guarantee

...i would love 3:58 to represent my possible time!! lol

PC, i am a bit far away to park and walk to the start!!!!!!!!!

04/10/2012 at 15:10

Dammit.

05/10/2012 at 14:05

Number 35, hopefully to be seen making a dash for the line in sub 3:30. I won't be reclaiming the £1.19 postal surcharge.

Last run this morning before Sunday's Half - 6 miles steady in Windsor Park, after 3 last night finishing at race pace.

Here's a question for you founts of racing knowledge. Windsor is a very undulating Half, with 4 pretty stiff (though not very long) climbs. I always have adopted the tactic of taking downhills quite easy when they approach a climb, in order to save a bit/get the heartrate down to attack the hill. As a result I tend to go pretty well on the hills, but I've taken to wondering if this is the wrong approach, and that maybe going eyeballs out on the downhills and a bit slower on the climbs would result in faster times. What do the panel think?

05/10/2012 at 14:13

I am not a fast runner but I find that I can run a faster race if I take it easy up hills and faster on the way down.

05/10/2012 at 14:36
I'm rubbish at going up hills but always seem to make the places up on the way down but that's not a tactic, I'm just rubbish at climbing and in my neck of the woods that's not a good thing
Did my last longish run today 17 done in 1:56:06 ave pace 6:51 much happier than last weeks 22, I know it's 5 shorter but I just Walt so much better fresher legs etc I took a rest day yesterday and I think this paid dividends so with not much running at all in the final week the light is peeping through at the end of the tunnel!!
05/10/2012 at 17:12

CFB - interesting question. Personally I try to keep to an equal effort when tackling hills in races, i.e. slow down on climbs and then speed up on descends. It means you sometimes get overtaken going uphill, but retake them when you go down. I have been told that by keeping to an equal effort during a race, this optimises your race time. However I live in Essex where hills are small and rare, so I am no expert on this matter.

Martin - quick 17 there. Sounds like things are coming together. Agree with you on a rest day. Took one on Monday, and legs have felt better all week.

Club track session last night, 5x1mile reps (3min recovery). Mile reps time varied between 6.22 and 6.32. Did most of session on my own as I was the faster one (very rare indeed!) down there last night. An easy 4/5 planned for Saturday and then 15 miles Sunday.

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 17:13
05/10/2012 at 17:24

sheesh , you guys are far too technical for me

05/10/2012 at 19:39

Chillies -  I agree with AC  try and keep the effort equal so you will slow down a bit going uphill.

AC-  Nice pace, mile repeats are hard.

MG - Quick long run from you,  I'm similar to you, planning not to do a lot in the last week especially towards the end.

8 miles last night steady came out at 7:08 avg and 3 recovery in the rain this afternoon.

05/10/2012 at 22:17

So why do you guys choose to do Abingdon over other events?

06/10/2012 at 00:26

Mark - it's flat, it's local (well, 35 miles away, which is local to me for a marathon), it's not too big, it's brilliantly marshalled, and it's obscure enough for non-runners to ask me how long it is  - regarding the "it's flat" statement, I must qualify that the only other marathon I've run is the South Downs one, so I'm not afraid of a hill or two

06/10/2012 at 07:50

Thanks for the vote of confidence Aching, but I've decided to withdraw.  Managed 1 mile before pain set-in the other day.  Hardly ran a stitch in 2 weeks.  I managed a total of 5 miles that morning to see if it would dissipate or stay at the same level of pain, but alas, got progressively worse.  Frustrating, but at least I'm in to VLM13, so will take a week of total rest, then rebuild to have a decent pop at it.  Good luck everyone.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.