Abingdon Marathon

861 to 880 of 1,103 messages
10/10/2012 at 00:44

Mrs C's advice to me, repeated before every nerve-wracked race, whatever distance:

1, You are only doing this for yourself

2. no one else cares what time you post, unless you're actually racing them

3. 90% of people get out of breath running a bath 

4. Please eat proper food, not just Clif bars and biscuits (that one is a bit personal!)

My best advice (this is only my 5th mara, and Windsor was my 26th half) is that from now on it is more about what you don't do than what you do -  especially don't knacker your legs by running much in the last few days.

I'd  love to embrace the thought that it is a 20 mile warm up followed by a 10K race! - For Abo, I'm going to concentrate on going through the start and listening out for the turkeys.  Hopefully by then we'll have settled into a bit of a rhythm

10/10/2012 at 15:29
Check out the forecast on theweatheroutlook.com - looks perfect! Fingers crossed this is the accurate one....
10/10/2012 at 16:32
chillies for breakfast wrote (see

1, You are only doing this for yourself

2. no one else cares what time you post, unless you're actually racing them

3. 90% of people get out of breath running a bath 

True words wisely spoken.

The only other advice I would add would be to enjoy yourself.

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 16:33
10/10/2012 at 16:59

Sounds like the nerves are now starting to kick in. This is my 5th Abo, and 11th Marathon in total, and Chillies certainly has the best and simplest advice, don't knacker yourself too much. You cannot now increase your fitness, you just need to ensure you recover sufficiently from all the hard training.

Hi Micknphil - will look out for

Warren – hope the MP tester went well

TT – very fast mile reps!

6 miles Fartlek yesterday, and 7 miles steady this morning. Going to do 3 MP miles tomorrow, and then it will only be easy/slow runs thereafter, although may add in some 50m strides next week. 

10/10/2012 at 17:00

Indeed. I feel a little undercooked, however, having contracted a virus about four weeks from the off. It's my second marathon, but the last was 14 years ago, so it feels like my first again!

10/10/2012 at 17:41

ive had a rotten cold for 2 weeks and really crabby sore throat but picking up now. did just over 26miles on Saturday on the Northdowns so i think i will just do a nice gentle run this weekend and then a very short one midweek before Abo! only my 2nd mara !!

10/10/2012 at 17:42

PC...you will still be faster than me

10/10/2012 at 17:44

Not sure about that. 20-26 miles is what they call an undiscovered country for me. We shall see, we shall see. Sorry to hear you've been ill, but you seem to be doing huge distances. 

10/10/2012 at 18:25

well i wouldnt say ill as such-still went to work etc just felt a bit rough the first week. the distance seems normal to me now i suppose..i have Druids ultra 2 weeks after Abingdon so i will be all prepped for that-except it will be far colder .wetter..muddier and futher than Abo haha

10/10/2012 at 19:32

Haven't followed this much this year but really looking forward to it. Being local it's my 6th time this time around.

More miles in training this year and feel better prepared but as always it's what happens on the day that counts.

As Chillies says get the start out the way and take in the cackle of turkeys around 1-2 miles and don't go mad from now on in.

Did I hear Mick n Phil are coming??

Lots of support expected from the people of Abingdon

10/10/2012 at 20:05

yes, hopefully we'll be there spectating and running a bit

10/10/2012 at 20:51

Thanks AC. MP test was ok. 10 miles with average pace of 6:28. Effort level felt quite high though for lower HR than I would have when racing a marathon. So still not really conclusive on pace to aim for. Will probably be more like 6:35 pace on the day. Have to hope that my endurance will be up to it as well with all the time off.

10/10/2012 at 21:35
What are these turkeys everyone keeps mentioning or am I missing something?? Warren there's a few of us that'll be running around that pace maybe we can get a group and work together. Did my last meaningful run today 12.5 done at 6:57 m/m felt really good on the way out but was pretty shattered coming in. Nothing more than 8 for me now and all at a gentle pace (Sundays race apart) with a few MP miles thrown in
10/10/2012 at 21:40

turkeys

after the roundabout after about 1 mile, you'll see a long flat downish bit ahead of you, with houses on your RHS

if you look carefully, you'll see the toorkies in field on the LHS

11/10/2012 at 00:02

MG - you'll hear the turkeys!

8 easy miles tonight, and if I can follow my own advice, maybe a 6 easy on Friday, then Henley Half on Sunday, then feet up, with maybe two easy 6 milers midweek

Hope everybody's nerves are settling a bit - I've reminded myself that I ran a marathon in June. I'm setting myself the same Gold, Silver, Bronze targets as last year - 3:30, 3:36, 3:42. Not putting myself under pressure to match last year's 3:23. Which of course is bo**ocks because once I get through the start I'll be comparing every mile split to last year

11/10/2012 at 14:12

loulabell - hope the cold clears. When I have been training hard a cold seems to last for weeks, if I back off, it seems to disappear in a few days, so hopefully the taper next week should sort it.

Shadwell  - what sort of time are you aiming for this year?

Warren  - 10 miles at av6.28 sounds pretty good, you cannot be in bad shape.

Martin - still churning out good runs there.

6 miles this morning, including 3 at my pedestrian MP of around av7.40. May be another 6 miles tomorrow, and then 10 slow on Sunday. Cannot wait for race day now. Following Chillies lead, my Gold, Silver and Bronze targets this year are 3:20, 3:25 & 3:30.

11/10/2012 at 17:07

Blimey, all you lot seem to be bloomin' quick. If I can get in under 4 hours I'll be cockahoop. Or is that turkeyahoop?

12/10/2012 at 16:46

Martin - best of luck with 10K on Sunday. I am sure now you are more rested you will blitz it.

Chillies - best of luck with Henley, don't go too hard.

Raining here this morning so did not want to risk a cold, so on the treadmill for 5 miles, including 6 x 2min MP efforts. Shame to stop really but work was calling. Rest day tomorrow and 10 miles slow Sunday.

For everyone else not racing, just take it easy out there.

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 16:46
12/10/2012 at 18:32

Thanks AC - feeling MUCH healthier this week - more sensible run/rest balance, and I'm actually able to eat this weekend! I will race, but not eyeballs out, especially up and down the big hill.

Stay fit, everyone

12/10/2012 at 19:43

Chill out people, over a week to go, save the nervous energy for the day. Just ticking over this week, recovery run Monday, 9 x 400m on wednesday, 6 miles slow yesterday.  Plan calls for 12 steady sunday but prob just do 10 easy. Been keeping clear of the diseased at work and First Defence is working well.  Keep getting pain in the right side of my head, went to dentist and he thinks I've got a problem with a tooth that has been filled several times, he wants to remove all the filling and see what's left, was in two minds before or after Abo but going in next wed hoping it will cure pain before Abo. Good luck Chillies, Martin  and any other racers this weekend.   

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 19:46
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.