Abingdon Marathon

981 to 1,000 of 1,103 messages
17/10/2012 at 21:44

Evening all - sorry I've barely posted for ages. Looks like most people starting to get fairly excited now.

Bring it on eh !

Hoping for 2.55 if it goes well - anything less would be a major bonus

Good luck everyone

18/10/2012 at 09:45

Seesteverun - Berocca - well, I take MV but when I get signs of a cold or feel run down I will also then take Berocca for extra boost. Obvs I don't know what MV you take but just check. Not done me any harm so far and I'm quite normal for a multi marathon runner.  

18/10/2012 at 09:57

Thanks Possum hopper. I took my first Berocca this morning; man, that thing fizzes.  The MV I had been taking was Tesco MV for Men; didn't take it as well as Berocca today. May take it tonight instead.

Still feeling on the downward slope rather than anything else, so I've booked a call with my GP (who is also a runner) to ask his advice. At the moment, I feel like I could give it a go, but I'm concerned about any long-term effects if I run with an underlying virus.

18/10/2012 at 10:05
Thanks blisters but pb would require 2.44. No chance of that with disrupted training and now I have more than taper madness. Bad case of man flu. Just hope it goes by Saturday night.
Blisters    pirate
18/10/2012 at 10:23

Warren
You know your body and your capability. I'm looking forward to your race report when you start off at a comfy 2:45 pace and then blow up big time in the 2nd half. It would bring back personal memories. Give us some fun.

18/10/2012 at 10:46
Final run done 6 easy, off for a massage now and then it's down to resting up and carb loading. Don't let the madness get you down it happens to us all every time lol
Caf
18/10/2012 at 13:39

Ecky - if you're desperate for a qucik "comfort stop" "Peep-O-Day Lane" (the cycle track you run along betwen miles 13 and 14, and again between miles 22 and 23) has a useful hedgerow on the left hand side. It's not too thick to climb through but is thick enough to protect your modesty (and just has empty farmers fields at the other side of it). You might come out with a scratch or two but nothing worse.

Remeber to take a bit of "emergency loo roll" wrapped up in cling film in your shorts pocket.

18/10/2012 at 13:44

Lots of Man Bugs out there......I had a head cold 2 weeks ago when ran Clarendon marathon - bit daft really but I had offered a pal a lift so had to 'Man Up' and get on with it. Bit of a different run tho than Abo with lots of ups and downs with lovely scenary thrown in. One to be taken at a more leisurley pace than Abo so no lasting damage done to me thank goodness.

Get well soon guys but if you do come along, please sneeze and cough well away from us slightly more healthy ones......I am down to do Beachy Head the week after which will be tough enough.

18/10/2012 at 17:26

Yeah, I'm down at Beachy Head next week too Possum Hopper - always my favourite marathon of the year - but then again I haven't done Abo before so we'll see if that changes come Sunday afternoon!  They are chalk and cheese though, right?

Been following the thread for a while now, so thought it was time to contribute and wish everyone all the very best!  I hope you all have a great race and achieve your goals.

Drinks-wise the race blurb states "orange squash and jelly babies at some of the later water stations and Lucozade Sport at miles 14 and 22", so hopefully that will suffice for everyone.

As for the weather we’re now getting close to the point where a decent prediction can be made, so if, as currently forecast, it’s overcast, possibly a bit damp, with average temperatures and not too windy, that’s all good as far as I am concerned.

Once again have a great race everyone and most of all remember to keep smiling, whatever the race throws at you!

18/10/2012 at 17:32

187       MG15                Black vest,shorts and socks          2:50
844       TickTock           Orange vest/grey shorts                2:57
774        Postie                Navy vest, blue/grey shorts         3:00
141       Chillies FB         Red/Black vest                           3:30
810       Joe Peacook      white & blue caerleon vest          3:58
107       SR3                   yellow stragglers vest                 3:58
389       EckyThump        CRAC vest                                  4:30
294       WarrenK78       Black vest yellow/red hoops        2:59
359       Aching Calves   Red Braintree AC vest,Black shorts 3.20
994       Dart More          White/purple/blue Erme Valley vest 2.50
306       Possum              Orange cap/black beanie?          3:59
846       Barry B              White vest, black shorts              3:15
462       MeeMeep          wargrave top/vest                    

Gels bought and taper run now it's the waiting game.
18/10/2012 at 18:14

I've this week developed a really horrible cold/flu, which kept me off work yesterday, although I'm perkier and at work today. Has anyone suffered this in the final week before a marathon, yet still done it? How has that worked out...?

18/10/2012 at 18:20
I remember hearing if its above the neck you'll be fine but on the chest no, but if your over the worst, and you think you'll be fine maybe go off feel
18/10/2012 at 18:30

Interesting. I do now feel ok below the neck, but still have a sore throat and I'm sneezing like nobody's business. The worst is over, but these things tend to hang around. After three months and more of training for this, I've had two bugs in the past three weeks. Very annoying. I suspect it's not that difficult to drop out of this one and find one's way back if the worst comes to the worst...

Oh, and thanks Martin

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 18:30
18/10/2012 at 19:05

SJ -  Bad news, I was out for 4 months with PF a couple of years ago so rest I found taping the best way to recover.

Shadwell -  Hope your race finish is better than last year, I think I saw you just coming back into the athletics park, the bit that seems to go on forever, you were being "encouraged" by a female runner but I think you were already out of it.  I tried to get you to keep going but to no avail, then witnessed your finish, plenty of gels this year?

My cold has n't materialised into anything serious, lots of First Defence and Vit C,  just a snotty nose in the morning,  my tooth seems better after half hour in the chair yesterday but still getting twinges which I hope is just where he dug so deep to get all the nasty stuff out.

Fingers crossed for weather, was looking iffy but now looking better.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 19:06
18/10/2012 at 19:37

PC - I ran 2010 with a stinking cold and cough, which had started 2 weeks earlier during the Spitfire 20 miler at Dunsfold. I got round just fine, but perhaps coincidentally it took another 5 weeks to shake off that lurgy, and I had to give the Marlow Half a miss.

Just off for my final run.

18/10/2012 at 19:38

Cheer Blisters, if the pace feels easy and I get a tail wind all the way round then  sub 2:55 might be on, but I think I will set out at ~6:45pace for first few miles. How come you are not doing it this year?

I did 3 slow miles today and will do 2 tomorrow. It never really feels worth getting changed for a run of that length but the neighbours will think it is a bit odd if a go for a jog in my jeans and shoes I guess.

Good luck with the taperchrondia everyone. Stay calm and don't fret... and get eating those carbs.

19/10/2012 at 08:35
4 months Barry!!!

Already going mental after 3 weeks
19/10/2012 at 09:39

TickTock - I'm with you on the going out for 2 / 3 mile runs......it take me longer to decide on what to wear than to actually do the run !! 

WhiteWilford - alas have never done BH and was kind of 'persuaded' to do it with a pal of mine. Bad planning all aound 6 days after Abo ! Have heard great things about it but also that it is very VERY tough. Yes, chalk and cheese I'm thinking but that's good.....variety is the spice of life.

Good luck Sunday.

SR3
19/10/2012 at 10:21
Last 3 miler done! Can't believe the training is over, just the small matter of 26.2 miles on Sunday to get through!

Eckytump - just read your blog - you are an inspiration - you go girl!!

Hope everyone is staying sane'
19/10/2012 at 10:53

Still fighting off cold but getting better...

981 to 1,000 of 1,103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.