Abingdon Marathon

1,061 to 1,080 of 1,103 messages
22/10/2012 at 11:38

Some great stories here! 

That was my first mara, what a mind game that was! The early pace felt so slow, I was aiming for (in priority order)

1 Finish

2 Sub 4

3 Sub 3.50

I set of slow, but felt so good I was averaging near 8.30 per mile, which felt great until 14 or so miles, then I realised I might be in trouble! Managed to back the pace down to 9ish per mile adv, then hit the wall at 22 miles, so did the last 4 in 10 per mile pace.

Spent the last 4 miles swearing I'd never do it again. Seconds after crossing the line I'd decided to take a charity place at Brighton!

I found the race a bit lonely at times, but the support that was there was ace, as we're the marshals.

Oh, and was it just me, or did anyone else think the person that put the coffee at the top of the steps at the end a bit of a sadist?!? Was pretty comical watch people trying to get up the steps, then get back down again with race bags, stiff legs and a cup of hot drink 

22/10/2012 at 11:40

Barry- a great PB, and you know that next time you get on a flattish route you're going to nail that 3:15 GFA.

Happy celebrating - it was the boy's 25th yesterday. I believe Mrs C has given him rather a lot more money than she's telling me about (well he is moving out FINALLY next weekend, so no doubt she'll have paid his deposit, at least)

22/10/2012 at 11:40

Well, managed to get in just under 3:35.  Happy with that, considering ran three times in the three weeks leading up to it.  At one point had resigned myself to not starting, last long run 5 weeks previous.

Have to agree with all the positive comments re: all the marshalls - lovely, funny, very very encouraging, and the Cadets calling me "Sir" - well, I thought that was incredibly lovely (though not deserved!)

Hellen - if that was me running alongside you and 'blocking' I apologise, I was running alonside a lady for a few miles.  Not deliberately blocking or piddled off with a woman overtaking (quite the opposite), I was struggling and trying to keep pace - hanging on to someone that looked like they knew what they were doing, then I'd back-off and get overtaken, then try and hang on a bit for a while (for grim death!!).  I spat a lot - but to the side after checking no-one there - as I have difficulty with clearing throat on the run.  Hope it wasn't me, as I'd like to think I was more considerate, but if it was, please accept my apologies, no offence was intended.  Well done all!

22/10/2012 at 11:42

Oops, forgot to put my time in, 3.57 after not really doing the longer runs. Dead happy with that!

Also great support from other runners, spent most of the course with a few people.

22/10/2012 at 12:08
SR, it wasn't you. I checked the results and he did a few min behind me.
22/10/2012 at 12:49

Ecky - if I'm marshalling next year I'll bring some beers for you

22/10/2012 at 13:53

Some great stories, I have spent the last 15mins reading them. Special mention to Barry to have turned it around in just 2 months, from HM pw to a marathon PB!

Spent the whole of my race running with a club mate, who was running a similar pace to mine and was going for pb (around 3.25). Unfortunately, was not able to help him along to his pb, as we both finished in just over 3.34, well outside our targets, Despite the time, really enjoyed the race, and cannot wait until next year.

Well organised race as usual and my thanks to the fantastic marshals as usual. Only downside was running through the muddy/flooded field in last mile. I thought I was going to get away with dry feet!

22/10/2012 at 15:30

I will have to do it again then if you are getting the Beers in C/C

I dont know about anyone else but Im still on such a high.

22/10/2012 at 19:35
22/10/2012 at 20:11
Cheers tick tick there's some great photos there!!
22/10/2012 at 20:20

Thanks Tick Tock. I dont think I have ever had so many pics from a race.

22/10/2012 at 20:56
I did it. The marshals were amazing. Truly super. I have no idea who the lady was at mile 22/23 ( she had her bike with her and a blue and silver helmet) but she saved me run. Thank you so much. If anyone knows her, please tell her that the banana meant o finished.
22/10/2012 at 21:03

She was amazing wasnt she By Eck and so lovely.

22/10/2012 at 21:38

Nice easy 1000m swimble this evening (I only swim at one speed and it ain't quick. Hopefully that should shake out some of the aches and pains. Anyone running today or tomorrow? I'm leaving it until Wednesday.

22/10/2012 at 21:54

Chillies - don't think I've swum a total of 1000m in my life - sounds more onerous than a marathon to me. Just been out and run a VERY steady 2 miles - feeling better when Ifinished than when I started - should set me up for a steady one at club night tomorrow. Might have Wednesday off then !

22/10/2012 at 21:59

That's a long way Chillies. I will leave running till Thurs. I lead a beginners group so can take it nice and easy although I wont be heading off with the advanced group.

22/10/2012 at 22:09
I've run twice today's and done spin too! Legs sore on the run but ok in spin
22/10/2012 at 23:40

hellen - mentalist

23/10/2012 at 06:47

Glad it wasn't me Hellen!!!!

23/10/2012 at 08:05

AC -  Sorry did n't get the time you were after, but at least you enjoyed the race.

My legs feel better after yesterday's massage.  I've got Florence mara 25 Nov so trying to work out what to do between now and then.  Don't think I be at Abo next year, I'm  planning to do Berlin.  Take care all and enjoy.

1,061 to 1,080 of 1,103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.