Abingdon Marathon

141 to 160 of 1,103 messages
10/04/2012 at 12:11

Barry - Sorry for delay in replying but i've been off work a few days and generally check the thread out then! How naughty! Thanks for your tip about the 3 day schedule, i'll check that out. At the moment i train 4 days (with knee/hip/glute strengthening inbetween - boring but important i think!) including 1 lactate/speed endurance, 1 speed, 1 long run and 1 midweek shorter workout. I see a trainer monthly (who's a much better runner than me!) who helps me with my schedule. All the workouts are quite tough, but apparently i won't have to run much longer than a 16mile ling run in training. I've never done this before in my previous marathons so i'll see how it goes. As Jo says, psyologically i can't imagine not doing a few 20 milers. Hope you can learn by your previous training and this time you'll get to the start line fit and fully rested too, that's a challenge in itself i think!

SR - Welcome. Well done on your training so far, that's a good start. I agree with what Barry has said, it's good to have a target, and to complete the distance without stopping is a huge achievement in itself i think. I've run 7 and still haven't been able to maintain the pace i wanted in the last 5-6 miles, perhaps this year! Good luck with your training, just take it steady and listen to your body throughout. I tried for sub 3.45 on my first one and finished in 4.13, so my target although relistic at the time, didn't take into account how difficult it is to maintain pace when your body is very tired. After a few tries i'm down to 3.44 and hoping to improve on that. Just enjoy your first one, Are you following any particular scedule?

SlokeyJoe -  Glad you've got the all clear from the physio. Don't ramp it up too quickly, i think we all take it for granted when we feel okay and can run injury free and get carrid away!  After my knee op i was so jealous of other runners whilst i was swimming/biking etc. I don't want to feel like that again!

Cheers all

Steve

SR3
10/04/2012 at 13:22

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Steve - I've had a look at various training plans.  It seems that most start 16 weeks before the race. Can't see much advice anywhere on what I should be doing prior to starting the official 16 weeks of training.  Have a few 10 mile and half marathons in the diary.  What do you recommend?

Is there a particular schedule that is seen to be better (I know it's probably a personal thing).  On good weeks I run 5 times a week with a longer run on a Sunday morning.

thanks

10/04/2012 at 14:18

SR -  For my first marathon i trained wwith a sub 4 runnersworld schedule, i only based that on the half i'd run at the time which was roughly 1.50. Finished my first marathon in 4.13 so wasn't too wildly out. I'm no expert on the best schedules but there is somethng called Smartcoach where you can put in a race time and your training intensity etc and it will create a suitable schedule for you. Perhaps some others on here have tried that maybe?

Sounds like you're ready to start, especially as you have completed a half already so if i were you i'd just carry on what you're doing and if your runs are of similar type, maybe introduce a bit of speedwork for variety. Not sure if you look at any other forums on here but i find the Asics team ones very useful. There's a first timer on there and also someone looking for 4.15 time i think.

Enjoy your 'pre' schedule running, just try a few different things without any pressure, it's a nice place to be! 

Cheers

Steve

10/04/2012 at 20:33

Hi SR3,

I've used runners world sub 4 schedule & also Hal Higdon inter- mediate, personally I prefer Hal Higdon, mainly because you build up to long runs earlier in the 18 wk schedule but then do 20milers only on alternate weekends, therefore legs feel more rested. But appreciate this is a personal thing.  Good luck with which ever you choose.

Jo.

11/04/2012 at 11:28

SR -  Think Jo's Hal Higdon intermediate is a good shout, i didn't look at that one but doing 20 milers on alternate weekends would definitely swing it for me!

Jo - How's the rehab going?

Steve

11/04/2012 at 13:04
Hi SR, before the formal schedule starts it is probably sensible to build up with lots of easy running and some core and leg strength work. No heroic measures needed. Just get yourself a healthy base, be injury free and strong. Oh, and enjoy the freedom of just getting out and running in the sunshine
13/04/2012 at 05:31

Hi SR

Great advice here, also, check out the podcast Marathon Talk  (www.marathontalk.com) run by Tom Williams and Martin Yelling (Liz Yelling's Husband) who have some great advice on episodes about training, racing and race-time predictors. It can also be quite funny, with Tony's Trials! Good luck.

13/04/2012 at 21:02

Steve,

thought i was doing ok, have been using x-trainer at gym & attending post op physio, still slightly swollen & bruised, but ok. Went for post op review today tho, seems consultant noticed that my patella (kneecap) is wearing away too. Not happy. .

Jo

13/04/2012 at 21:06

fully hoping to return to Abingdon

withdrew at 9 miles last year as prostate was sore

our pb is there of 4:03

not bothered about that anymore, but i am wanting to do another marathon

14/04/2012 at 19:28
All the best of luck with the campaign for this one Mick
16/04/2012 at 10:42
Well brighton is now out the way.  This means I have 2 weeks off and this its full steam ahead with base building and time to smash 3:30
16/04/2012 at 11:53

Sorry to hear about your patella Jo, that's a shame.     Did your consultant give you any help or encouragement with regard to running?  Mine was quite negaitive about mine i must admit, especially marathon training due to the obvious wear and tear on a weakened/thinner cartilage protection. Physio was much more positive though, but i must admit if i do struggle with regular longer runs then this may be last marathon. He said it'd be fine for shorter races though, i'll just see how it goes.

AGF - Hello there. How did Brighton go? Hope you enjoyed it and you achieved what you aimed for, two marathons in one year!! Perhaps your body is not so old and fragile as mine!    Well done.

Steve

16/04/2012 at 12:06
hello Steve,  My body is feeling old and fragile today .... brighton went well thanks. A 35 min Pb only my 1st marathon in 3:34;xx  ....so probably on a high....
16/04/2012 at 12:52

Wow, what a great time, 3.34 is excellent! Sounds like you'll be well on track to crack 3.30!  So was this your 2nd marathon? Your first in 4.09? That's a brilliant effort, very well done.

My best is 3.44, but with better quality training and a hilly half of 1.43 run so far i'm aiming to improve on that.

You've earned a nice couple of weeks rest, i'm sure you'll enjoy it!

16/04/2012 at 14:11

AGF – great running there.  Fantastic PB.  Was it windy in Brighton?, as it was certainly windy here in Essex for my long run yesterday morning.  It must give you a great confidence for  a sub 3.30 at Abo, and for other races you have planned for the summer. Enjoy your rest.

Still 4 weeks to go to my spring marathon, so no rest for me quite yet.

Mick  - glad your coming back. Best of luck this time round.
16/04/2012 at 15:05

Thanks Steve. Thats right. First marathon was Abingdon last year in 4:09.   I think you have every chance of breaking that time based on your hilly half.

AC, Thank you too - I will enjoy the rest ! Walking like john wayne today. Yes it was windy, but it was only reallynoticable in a couple of the exposed places. Lucking the wind was coming from inland and most of the course was fairly well sheltered as a result.  It does give confidence for abingdon, I feel i just need a few months working on my base speed so that my threshold is a little better. 

What spring marathon are you doing?

16/04/2012 at 16:40

AGF – You have 6 mouths now, so I am sure you can improve still further for Abo in October.

I am doing my local marathon, which is Halstead (the start is a short 15 minute drive away), which I have never done before. I have been told it is hilly, and it normally turns out hot so my expectations are quite low, certainly will not be gunning for a PB. Anything around 3.20, which is 6 mins outside my PB, I will be more than happy with.

16/04/2012 at 16:54
Let's hope so AC

Good luck AC.... It's always good to do local races... Enjoy the day when it comes
18/04/2012 at 17:17
Steve , consultant saying  pretty much same as yours, try it & see how it feels. TBH, I am more concerned with achillies at the moment, my knee gave way on one of my runs before op, i went over on my ankle on other side & have had sore achillies since. Luckily tho consultant put steroid injection into it whilst i was under anaesthetic, here's hoping both will be ok, really looking forward to a run & getting back into Abingdon training. How far is your longest run so far & how does your knee feel? Jo.
19/04/2012 at 10:26

Longest i've run is a half marathon so far Jo which was pretty hilly so the knee was a bit sore after. I think that was more down to the ups and downs though. No pain the next day so overall i'm quite pleased. Got the Southend half early June which is flat so hopefully it'll be fine after that.

I have a session once a month with a PT who's a good runner and i'll start to build things up in June with my 4 runs a week schedule. Knee has been fine so far with lactate, speed workouts so with the rehab exercises too i'm optimistic, thanks for asking.

I hope your achilles settles down soon,  sounds a bit of a nasty fall when your knee gave way!!    Good luck with your x training, fingers crossed you'll be back into Abingdon training soon, just don't rush things, these knees are attention seeking buggers at times! I spend quite a bit of time strengthening the hip/glute area, boring i know but it definitely has helped take the pressure off the knee. Good luck! 

Steve

141 to 160 of 1,103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.