Abingdon Marathon

161 to 180 of 1,103 messages
19/04/2012 at 20:33
Cheers Steve, hope you continue to stay injury free. I'm beginning to bore myself with my moaning re injury,(I'm usually a happy & healthy runner, honest). Determined to be cautious/ careful with recovery tho, would prefer to get it right & then continue to run in the future.
19/04/2012 at 21:53
.. quick question...does anyone know how the bib numbers are allocated? just by first come first on the entry button ? or other?
20/04/2012 at 00:55
Loulabel, ad only 800+ runners not sure it really matters. It's each person for themselves at the start and most folk are sensible...
20/04/2012 at 05:53

Hello all, I am about to do VLM, was hoping to do Abingdon this year but missed the online entry. Is there a waiting list?

20/04/2012 at 08:31
MadWelshWoman: there is a waiting list, however I was told by someone at Brighton last Sunday that even that is full.
20/04/2012 at 21:25

MDW theres an unofficial waiting/swap list on FETCH

This has proved helpful for several freinds in the past.

20/04/2012 at 21:32

we have our home town Shakespeare marathon next weekend,

after not running ( because of benign prostate problems ) a marathon for over a year, i fully intend using it a tester to see exactly what i have and feel like

i'm under no illusions what so ever -  it may be there isnt another  marathon left in me, i dont know

plus Philip is now a 23 year old man and heavy -

20/04/2012 at 21:35
Hello Micknphil....good luck for Shakespeare
21/04/2012 at 06:24

Hi Mick,

Sorry to hear of your recent health issues, I hope you are on the mend now. 

We'll be saying hello to you next week Mick'n'Phil.  Legends of the local running scene - "EASY! EASY! EASY!"

21/04/2012 at 12:13
MWW: I did not know about the list on Fetch, so maybe hope yet.
24/04/2012 at 12:08
Hi Mick, did n't you lead off Stratford a couple of years ago, if I remember it was a very hot day and we all struggled, good luck for this weekend.
30/04/2012 at 19:59

Hello everyone!

Looking forward to this in October. I had to withdraw from VLM due to hamstring injury...it's healing now but been 7 weeks of little/no running. Boring!

Sorry to hear others are suffering with injury problems- they really get in the way of training/racing dont' they?!Be interested to hear what races everyone is planning to do in the build up to Abo -

Many thanks in advance and good luck with your training.

30/04/2012 at 20:04

we happily led off Shakepeare HM yesterday in which was our 238 th HM, 10 years of pushing Phillip around , and our almost 500 th race in total

despite the conditions we ran it quietly and quite happily

30/04/2012 at 20:09
oh fuck wrong thread
30/04/2012 at 20:09

Hi Mick

I saw you at Gloucester marathon I think? Glad you enjoyed yesterday.

30/04/2012 at 20:20
louloubell- to answer your question from a few days ago, the bib numbers are allocated 1st come 1st served I think.  Being local to Abingdon, I had my cheque through the door of the organiser very very quickly and had a number between 1 and 10- can't remember but 'spose i could look it up on the results.
30/04/2012 at 23:09
Have rested after Brighton 2 weeks ago (1st marathon - 4:40:39, not bad seeing it was only a few days after my 50th!). Am now looking forward to training for October. Hope to improve my time and would love to run a sub 4:30, but most importantly am looking forward to the challenge of running a smaller marathon as from looking at past results I will be at the end of the pack.
01/05/2012 at 00:00

Lynda - well done with the Brighton run - the first marathon is always scary and no doubt you'll smash that time second time around. Now stop resting

I had a bit of a mare at Bracknell Half yesterday - 1:38:xx - in retrospect I psyched myself out of a decent time pre-race by preparing for a slow time in horrible conditions, and the weather just wasn't that bad. I'm now trying to convince myself that it's nice sometimes to run a race at 90% effort

50 years old and still learning, even from a race I've run 4 times

01/05/2012 at 00:09
Sequin - my Abingdon build-up may have gone a bit left-field this year, as I have agreed to do the London to Brighton Off-Road bike ride 4 weeks before and I have never ridden 75 miles, either on or off road. Should make for an interesting taper, as I am also doing Windsor Half 2 weeks before. Mind you, I have done Henley Half the week before Abingdon for the last 2 years (at marathon pace), and it seemed to work for me
01/05/2012 at 22:51
Chillies for Breakfast - rest time is officially over, after 8 miles in the woods tonight. It made a fantastic change, running for fun in puddles, streams and lots of mud rather than pavement pounding. There was even a Vicar of Dibley moment when 3 of my mates underestimated the depth of a puddle that they had jumped into.
161 to 180 of 1,103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.