adidas Silverstone Half-Marathon

141 to 155 of 155 messages
16/03/2010 at 19:46
I'm seeing a few people commenting on the distance the Garmins etc are getting - generally Garmins are reasonably accurate but there is a degree of error - about 4% or so if IRRC. I personally got 13.21 miles, but the course will have been measured accurately, I guarantee it. There was a thread on the general forum last week about the accuracy of various GPS systems and other measuring tools - I'll try and get a link to it.

Alex - I have a 305 and it's never let me down, so that's my vote. There'll be a few threads on the Gear forum about it though.

EDIT: The link to that thread. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=155027&V=6&SP=
Edited: 16/03/2010 at 19:47
16/03/2010 at 22:04

This was my first half marathon.

Very impressed by the whole organisation - very slick compared to other events I've done, great goody bag, good car parking and marshalling, iconic track etc.

Can't comment on the lack of atmosphere - felt fine to me...

My Garmin also 'over-read' the distance at 13.34 miles.  So that's about 400 yards over.  I'll believe the guy who said the course was properly measured, but I also believe my Garmin, so not being able to apex each corner seems to have added 400 yards (or about 2 minutes at my speed).

Overall though, it's an event I aspire to do again next year - many thanks Adidas, Silverstone, and all the marshalls!

MovingAlong    pirate
16/03/2010 at 22:30

Hi Alex,

2hr 4 is a brill time, and I'm sure you'll go sub-2 hours on another day. Silverstone, with the wind, was quite a challenging circuit.

I run with a Garmin 405 and have no complaints at all with it. My girlfriend has a 305 and she likes it. I think I'd probably get the 405 again due to it being smaller, but ultimately if there was a significant difference in price I'd happily go for the 305.

16/03/2010 at 22:40
My Garmin also said 13.32.  I've just changed to the 310, sold my 405 as I didn't get on with the bezel design.
17/03/2010 at 16:26

was my 2nd half marathon in preparation for vlm.

was aiming for a sub 1;30 as two weeks before had managed a 1:30:39.

was a good event, however strugled with the heat and the lack of water stops, ending up gasping and had to drink the lucosade.... not a good idea.

struggled to a 1:35 with an amazing sprint finishes as i am told there was quite a crowdin cheering (i was oblivious)

Highlight for me was certainly chatting to iuan thomas about a mile in!!

17/03/2010 at 20:54
Duckinator - I checked out your photos, not bad some of them. Re-checked mine now that there is more up there. Not good is all I can say, definitely not something for the photo album.
MovingAlong    pirate
17/03/2010 at 22:07
I've just been waiting for the photos to come online. Have just realised now I ran with my jacket on, and hence my number was covered! I'm not desperate enough to go through 28 pages of photos though! (Well, if works slow tomorrow, maybe!)
18/03/2010 at 17:11

Hi all- 'Mother Duck' here!! I enjoyed the race- even the quiet parts as I was just trying to take in all the circuit etc. I was 1-27 and 12 miles and totally lost it into the wind over the final mile and finished 1-35-20ish

Re the splits that were initially available. Mine seemed Ok apart from the 10k time which was far too fast . I was wondering whether splits were initially available (however inaccurate) so that the organisers could verify that all finishers and completed the whole route ie- no cheaters.

There is no way anyone is seeing my photos!

byee Molly AKA Mother Duck X

19/03/2010 at 12:27
Well, considering I know both your surname and race number, I reckon I can use this as blackmail.
19/03/2010 at 12:30
Lol.  Can't say I like my pics either!
19/03/2010 at 12:52

Does anyone ever buy their race pics or even like them?!

I'm a no on both points.

19/03/2010 at 14:18

No- although I did when I did London marathon. I can hardly manage a grimace in mine let alone a smile ) lol

OK off for run.......

20/03/2010 at 09:32

hi all

I'm still a bloke aged 18-39 in the results despite telling the organizers by email.  Am I being anal?  It makes a personal difference as I did rather well for age.

My Garmin also had 13.36 by the way, although I was aware at times of electing not to queue up to turn a corner! 

Wind was a killer, especially at the end when I was going backwards after starting way too fast.

Reading tomorrow - easy easy easy to quote a mentor of mine!       

20/03/2010 at 15:30

Rabbit- not anal at all- we work hard for our results and they need to be right- keep nagging at them ! Well done to you.

Good luck at Reading...

23/03/2010 at 18:06
i liked the Silverstone run a lot.  Having lived some 5 miles from Silverstone for 20 yrs (now reside in Basingstoke) and seen more motor racing than i care to remember it was only my second time setting foot on the track.  i knew from my umpteen visits that the wind would play a big part and yep it did.  Very well organised, very impressed.  I got a 1 hr 25 min 59 secs and then made a hasty exit as i know how bad traffic can be.  It was back to my mums for a roast dinner with all the trimmings

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 155 of 155 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.