Amsterdam - Marathon, Half n 10K

Beans Abroad :-)~ 16.10.05

1,081 to 1,100 of 1,171 messages
18/10/2005 at 11:44
Apologies for the bad form, but I'll just re-post a report I posted elsewhere on my half mara. Well done everyone on some stunning performances and on some, er, stunned ones too.....

------

Excellent race, I thought, and a fascinating city. Not sure about the reasoning involved in lining up by race number rather than expected finish time, but it did have the happy side effect of keeping my mind on dodging round people (and trees, bikes, kerbs, tramlines etc) rather than on the pain . I was aiming for 1:45, a hint conservative pace-wise to allow for the inadequate training miles. I kept it on schedule, pushing on from 10 to 12K, paying for it between 12 and 15, but had the legs to hold on and nibble away a half-minute cushion for myself which I didn't need - PB! Hup Swerve!

Oh, and most importantly of all, I kicked Mrs Swerve's arse (figuratively)!

I thought the course was generally good, congestion apart, and though it was very sparse in places, the support in the north-eastern section in particular was good. I would add a big mention for the Vondelpark too - lots of spectators (nothing in London terms, but that would scare me), and a nice boost from all the greenery (there's something just nice about running in a park). After that, I remembered seeing the great Haile earlier on the big screen and in the stadium (what a privilege!) on his final run-in, and thought Ethiopian thoughts, so the last couple of K were fine too. And passing the stragglers in the marathon was a nice reminder of how glad I was to be doing the half.

Thoroughly recommended.
18/10/2005 at 13:07
Freddybear

I used a Nike CV10 (not GPS) which recorded 27.77 miles for the marathon!!!!!!!!

Very odd as it was spot on at three previous races (to within half a percent)

18/10/2005 at 13:50
ANyone know if they do photos for the half marathoners? Only marathoners are on view at present.
18/10/2005 at 14:20
Tequila my photos are there and I did the half marathon, have you tried typing in your name?
18/10/2005 at 14:22
I'll have another go Jane - thanks!
18/10/2005 at 14:25
No, stil not there, plenty of others with same surname, but not me or Mr T!
Will try again later.
If any of you saw someone wearing a flag of St George on their back - IT WAS ME!!
18/10/2005 at 14:42
Back online at last!!

Well my thoughts on the half are pretty much the same as Nibbs. I decided to do Amsterdam to see if I could duck under 1.25 in my last half of the year. The stupid system for the start put paid to that. It took me too 2-3 minutes to get through the start and I then spent the first 20 minutes being blocked by and having to dodge and swerve around people who were probaly looking at 2-2.15 half times - not good for me and not good for them really either. Consequently, I ran further than I wanted to, ran faster to try and overtake and my race plan went out the window. The info before the race said it would be in timed pens - why didn't they do it? Over 6000 people of mixed abilities all in together, not a good idea.

As for the race,settled into it in the end and enjoyed the finish into the stadium. Time was 1.29.14 which at least means that all 4 half-maras I've done this year have been sub-90, so I'm sort of "established" at that time.

18/10/2005 at 14:43
And a HUGE WELL DONE to all the marathon runners. I am in awe, Never run that distance and not sure I want to!! Fantastic achievement by you all, irrespective of time.
18/10/2005 at 14:51
Cheeky Spider,Well sone on your time, glad you enjoyed the finish, i was too knackered to sprint! we too were confused by pens. We were one side of barriers, then suddenly we had to squeaze in gap to other side, but found the pens hard to work out for the times too. They seemed to let people off in sections as well, so people were going past me fast, but i was also overtaking very slow people.
Think we'll stick to the 10k next time!!
18/10/2005 at 14:56
Swerve, did you pass a load of Japanese stragglers in the mara?

I did last year.
18/10/2005 at 15:21
Had excellent day on Sunday; ran more or less as I intended to, and squeezed under 3:15 target with 3:13:58 - a PB by 15 minutes, so very happy here. One nasty stitch at 37km where I had to stop for a minute as couldn't walk, and it was hard work from there to the end, but otherwise felt good. 1:36/1:37 splits, too - the little graph on the results is nearly flat, except the little dip between 35-40k when I stopped. All in all, very pleased with self.

Really good to meet folk at the meal on Saturday, and again in the Tara after the race. The whole weekend was fantastic, I thought - Amsterdam's a top place, no doubt. Would love to do it all again.

Pseudo: Good luck with the rest of your lunatic scheme. Take it steady in Washington.
18/10/2005 at 15:54
T

I can see your pictures:-)

Sorry I never met any one in Amsterdam apart from Barbara I had forgotten where it was .
Glad everyone enjoyed it of sorts well done to everyone.
18/10/2005 at 16:23
oh gosh just managed to find photos - must start wearing make-up for races with potential photo shoot at finish and remember to look alive!
Poppy, might have to email you tomororw as manic here now.
18/10/2005 at 16:28
Could someone advise on where the piccies are?

Ta
18/10/2005 at 16:32
Multi

Go to
http://www.marathon-photos.com/index.html
type in your real name and up they pop pretty scarey .....why do I always look so awful in races
T.

no problem I know the feeling:-)

Cheers, WP!
18/10/2005 at 16:33
Can i have make up artist , hairdresser just before finish in future races !
18/10/2005 at 16:34
My pleasure
18/10/2005 at 16:46
No piccies of me! Searched by name - nothing, searched by number and found a rather attractive brunette! Shouldn't grumble really!
1,081 to 1,100 of 1,171 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.