Amsterdam 2007

Marathon, half & 10k

801 to 805 of 805 messages
05/11/2007 at 16:54

IBIS Stoperra (sp?)

5  mins walk to metro at Waterlooplein so easy to get to/from start and central station

Good size room but only shower.

buffet breakfast but no porridge

No kettle in room so not able to make your own tea/coffe/porridge in you room

Friday and Saturday rates more than rest of week

No single rooms so not so value for single travellers

Chose this one because you know what you will get with a large chain and have read some horror stories on other websites.

05/11/2007 at 17:11

Thanks guys I am taking notes, its a while off but it would be nice to go somewhere different.

Many thanks

07/11/2007 at 23:27

If you'd like an apartment, the best place to look is here:

http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/amst/vr/

Various prices and locations to suit your budget.

Advantages of apartments:

*Flexibility and comfort.

*Feel more at home - feel more like a local.

*Can sort your own food - porridge in the morning and pasta in the evening.

*Can be cheaper than hotels.

*There are usually interesting extras like guidebooks, games, videos/dvds, novels and magazines. Plus useful stuff like bottle openers and cork screws for when you raid the local off licence. 

Advantage of hotel over apartment

*A bar on the premises.

*Meals cooked and served.

*Very short stay.

*Late night arrival.

*Booking on the same day. 

10/11/2007 at 18:26

Caught me out last year, remember roads likely to be shut after finish, as half is still running.  I was lucky and only had to walk for about half hour to get back to my hotel after finishing!

If I run again will pack somthing warm for after!

11/11/2007 at 10:47
Hey smiffie - Trams do run. You need to walk back 1k to the roundabout at the junction with Amstelveenseweg and Krusemanstraat and you can get a tram back into civilisation.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
801 to 805 of 805 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.