Amsterdam 2007

Marathon, half & 10k

81 to 100 of 805 messages
18/05/2007 at 11:41
Morning all,

I'm doing Amsterdam this year and I'm just getting back into a proper running schedule after running Paris in April (great event, absolutely killed me in the heat).

I'm aiming for a sub 3:45 run after manageing to scrape in at 3:56 in the Paris Heat, and I'm told Amsterdam is a good course for this.

As for training I'm intending to do a sixteen week schedule in the run up to the event, and am thoroughly looking forward to the race.

Cheers all - Jase
21/05/2007 at 11:58
Hi all,

Was looking for an Amsterdam 2007 thread and had to weed through so many old threads.. I've entered the race as well. I've done 3 marathons now, the last one was unexpected and I didn't train for it (White Peak last saturday).. I was slow and it hurt so I'm determined to train properly for Amsterdam so I can actually enjoy it!

I'm thinking of doing an 18 week schedule (either Hal Higdon intermediate II or Pete Pfitzinger) and adding 2 weeks on for illness / injury / intrusion of life. What is everyone doing?

21/05/2007 at 13:26
Planning on doing a 16 week one from Rob and Shelley Glover's book
21/05/2007 at 13:34
15 weeks for me.
Well done Diesel girl on your WP marathon on Sat.
Do you recommend it?
21/05/2007 at 17:13
I'm planning on eating plenty of doughnuts and drinking loads of beer.

Build up the carbs.
21/05/2007 at 17:29
Thanks Chocoholic - is chocolate a carbohydrate? Excellent chocolate in Holland.. Anyway - yes I highly recommend WP but I didn't train for it - it was a mad decision to run it - and it would have been more enjoyable had I put in the hours. Having said that it's small, beautiful, traffic-free and friendly and they sell gorgeous sausage cobs at the finish!

But I'm Dutch so am going to be enjoying chips, mayonnaise and a frosty cold beer at the finish of Amsterdam! I always find myself dreaming of a post-marathon meal in the final miles - I wonder what that means..
21/05/2007 at 17:49
Know what you mean DG
I dream of chocolate and ice cream in final few miles of marathon...doughnuts sound good too ST
;-)
21/05/2007 at 17:58
Oh yes definitely. I'm still on the post WP pig-out before I get into Amsterdam training..
A.W
21/05/2007 at 18:10
16 week schedule for me, just building a good base at the moment to make my life a little easier.
A.W
21/05/2007 at 19:44
Pfitzinger and Douglas's 18 week up to 70 mpw schedule for me. Worked a treat at London and gradually building the mileage back up now. (I figure it can't hurt to take it easy-ish at the moment - I had an enforced 3 week break with flu in November/December last year before FLM training and panicked that this meant all was lost; I PB'd by 12 minutes!)

Off for a short plod now.
21/05/2007 at 23:49
Doing the same as shutterburbug at the mo, just getting out and running regular training sesions 4/5 times a week.

Hopefully I will be able to start a fixed weekly scedual from June 1st so come october I will be up to speed.

21/05/2007 at 23:50
Sorry Shutterbug

my computer has got a stutter ??
23/05/2007 at 13:20
We have booked our flights now and hotel have booked into the HEM has anybody stayed there and got any info about it?
23/05/2007 at 15:18
pat, I'm staying there too on the Saturday night
23/05/2007 at 15:26
Good we can meet up we are going on Friday morning there are 8 of us
23/05/2007 at 15:28
Mrs Dawdler and me are flying over stupidly early on Saturday morning (We leave Newcastle at 6am!) meeting up sounds good to me
25/05/2007 at 14:35
Afternoon, well my flight is booked! I'm going to learn from the mad panic I had in Paris this year (that was caused by a delayed flight and so I had to dash to the expo on the Saturday evening to collect my number) so I'm going to get to Amsterdam on the Friday afternoon now and spend Saturday chilling out!

What's the concensus, is it advisable to book at hotel in the central area or nearer to the Olympic stadium? Any ideas?

Thanks, Michael.
25/05/2007 at 15:12
The HEM that we have booked is supposed to be near the start and finish which I think is more important than being in centre. Not sure how nice it is some varied reviews but as long as is clean and accessable should be OK it is quite cheap as well we booked online
26/05/2007 at 08:02
Hi all,

Im very tempted to do this. I ran my 1st marathon at Windemere last Sunday in 3:14 and Im loooking for a flat, fast course so I can attempt a sub 3 hr.

Just need to book some time off work now!
26/05/2007 at 20:32
Hello all,

I've paid my race entry online. THis will be my first marathon. I am doing this with my other half in celebration of his 40th birthday!.

Has anyone run this before? How busy is it?

81 to 100 of 805 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.