Amsterdam 2007

Marathon, half & 10k

141 to 160 of 805 messages
17/06/2007 at 22:27
Didds The longest run i ran in training was 16 miles. I lost 2 weeks training to injury and everything i read suggested not to try to catch the miles back up and with the 10% rule in mind i just made do.

I'm still overweight but im getting ever quicker and the runs i do get easier and easier. The lsr i did Saturday was a new pb so all is headed the right way. My only goal is to run more and walk less than at Edinburgh. That said if i wound up slower i would be dissapointed.

I've entered 2 races and have my eye on another 3 before Amsterdam, it'd be fair to say i really enjoy the races even tho i do tend to rumble home in the last 5%.
18/06/2007 at 07:12
Injury still literally a pain but it is now the heel area which is tender rather than the ankle but as the day goes on it does seem to get easier.

Tomorrow I am going to try a short run and then going to see a running coach for advise re the physio etc.

I cant believe that only a few weeks ago I was in a marathon and now I walk so slowly but believe that testing it might make me feel a bit better psychologically, fingers crossed as I so want to be there in Amsterdam.
18/06/2007 at 09:45
Royal Slap - welcome aboard. Also due to start my 16-week training programme on 2 July. Have opted for the 3-day a week 'FIRST' programme this time (http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm) as followed the RW 5-day a week/16-week programme for FLM and found the time commitmment too much. Will see how things go after the first 4 weeks and review.

CanaryYellow - I have a 10K on Sunday, a 5K next month and the New Forest Half Marathon on 16 September. Deliberately cutting back on races this summer as did far too many last year, but as long as you work your races into your programme and don't overdo it in terms of trying to post PBs in every race you should be OK.
18/06/2007 at 09:50
Jane. 4 weeks ago I ran a marathon and now I havent run for 20 days. (not that Im counting). However, I think the rest, swimming, walking, climbing and cycling has done me good and todays the day I attempt my 1st run. I bought some new innov8 trail shoes last week so they will get a 1st run around local fields later in the wet and mud and I will record the distamnce with my new Garmin which I bought at the sdame time.

Jools:
I had planned to do more long runs in the Windemere build up, but I picked up a knee injury following a 10k in February and lost 2.5 weeks and I lost a weeks training just before the Hawkshead Trail race due to another (unrelated) knee injury. I'm all rested now and really raring to go. Ive just got to remember to take it easy for the 1st couple of sessions. I'm hoping to have my training runs past the half marathon mark by the end of July, ,n time for the James Herriot Trail Race. Then be up into the 20's by the time the Derwent Trail race and the Yorkshireman Half come round at the begionning of September :)
18/06/2007 at 13:06
When you are running as slowly as i am pb's become kind of irrelevant. I dont need a stopwatch to tell me im improving! I run the races becuase i really enjoy them. All the data that comes from the ipod sports kit is just a bit of a giggle to look at when i get home.
18/06/2007 at 13:18
Its official. Im entered and takin part. Now just a small matter of training, flights and accomodation
18/06/2007 at 13:56
Dave A

Poor you with the injury, I am such a misery recently and have missed running so much. I am charging the batteries for the mp3 player tomorrow and I too shall be sporting my Garmin even if it only records a 2 mile run. When I reach 6 miles I will book my fights and hotel as I will feel a bit more confident. Good luck with the recovery and anyone else who is getting back to fitness
18/06/2007 at 15:57
Just done my 1st run in 20 days and I managed 5.42 miles in 38:15. All of which was mainly off road on farmers fields and tracks with a few inclines (nearly hills) to tackle.

I will have to see how the leg feels in the morning to determine if Im ok and havent aggrevated anything, but feels good so far :)
18/06/2007 at 16:31
take it steady Dave,

I've had a ruptured Achilles since February and am now only just jogging 5 - minutes at a time to try and build up before I statr training for Amsterdam
18/06/2007 at 16:35
Ive had an achilles injury before. 3 months without running was a beggar!

My plan is to take it steady for the 1st week or so but Im looking to build it up at a decent rate. Obviousley Im not planning on doing anything too stupid!
18/06/2007 at 17:26
Didds - Thanks for the welcome - it almost made me go out for a run right away! (almost):)
I am going to try the RW 5-day schedule, as I didn't have a structure for my FLM training. About 6 weeks before the race I stupidly did a 25 miler, found it OK and then did very few decent runs until the big day. I paid big-time: taking over an hour longer than my 25 miler.
This time I am happy to let someone else plan my runs for me. I can see the commitment being too much, but will give it a try.
18/06/2007 at 17:43
I didnt follow any particular plan. All I did was longer runs as part of training and put extra recovery runs in. Due to a couple of niggling injuries I missed a couple of longer runs.

Fpr this one, Im not following a plan, just running to a pace that I feel good for when training.
18/06/2007 at 19:51
Royal Slap - was that this year's FLM? If so, your time doesn't sound too bad given the heat - took me 4:22 and I was aiming for 3:50. As I said, the RW 5-day a week programme is tough on time commitment, but if you can fit it in around work and home commitments you will do well. I managed a Half PB by nearly 2:30 12 weeks into the 16-week programme.
19/06/2007 at 20:04
Didds - yes this year's FLM. I was one of the ones who found the heat very tough, so looking to take a big chunk off my pb in Amsterdam. Gonna give the 5 day programme a try. Went for a little 5 mile jog today and am much slower than this time last year, so really looking forward to getting started on the programme and running faster. Starting to get excited already!
19/06/2007 at 21:21
Royal Slap - hope you can hold that excitement 'til October! Long way to go yet. Let me know how you get on with the 5 day programme. I found the heat at FLM really tough - just had to hold on for the last 6 miles and don't remember seeing Buckingham Palace! Said on the day 'Never again' but by the next day was itching for my next one.
19/06/2007 at 22:00
No ill effects of yesterdays comeback run today. I think Im good for a little while longer. A few more comeback runs and I'll be raring to go for this one :)
20/06/2007 at 06:40
I have taken the advice suggested on this forum and tomorrow I have an appointment at a sports physio centre for a foot scan and physio treatment. I really hope that this will be the beginning of the end of this injury as its nearly four weeks since Edin Mara and still not able to run.

I have been told to bring my trainers so they can video my running, not sure how this is going to work as I can do a pretty decent hobble but definitely not a run :)

20/06/2007 at 07:28
Good luck, Jane. I'm sure they'll get you fixed. know what you mean about the hobble - I remember having to hobble on a treadmill when my ITBS was at it's worst. Why put a mirror in front of me? I know I look carp...!
20/06/2007 at 09:05
16 week schedule starts on monday 25th :¬)

All the best Jane
20/06/2007 at 09:37
are you sure musketeer, I worked it out that 16 weeks before October 21 is July 1
141 to 160 of 805 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.