Amsterdam 2013

Amsterdam 2013

21 to 40 of 661 messages
16/04/2013 at 22:36
23 weeks and 6 days to go.

Having a half pb of 1:40, am i foolish to target 3:45?

First marathon - love amsterdam - getting excited already.
H.
17/04/2013 at 19:40
Hey Weedy, how you doing? No doubt I'll be back for this again. My fifth amsterdam. I'm part of the bloody furniture Not huge for a big city marathon but big enough and fun for all the reasons you say.. and flat of course!

As for accomodation it depends what you're looking for. Decent hotel or B&B or backpacker type thing? Loads of options.

Typically the race doesn't fill up for a while. I've entered in sep before but the price normally goes up the closer you get.
19/04/2013 at 09:49

Hi Everyone, just signed up!!!!

Just done Rome and Brighton marathons in last 4 weeks so needed another to keep me going before next year. Looks like this might be a good one for a PB, but was going to keep that for Brighton next year. (Well attempt to anyway)

Booked flights and accomadation. Not packed my bags yet (always leave it too late).

Secret passion - 3:45 sounds a viable time, but always have a plan B!!!!

H.
20/04/2013 at 00:55
Hi Paul, how was Rome? Did it last year. Simply beautiful!!!
26/04/2013 at 15:56

H! How've you been? You still doing Comrades?

H.
26/04/2013 at 22:06

I am!!  So far so good but I don't want to jinx myself.  You?

27/04/2013 at 21:00

V good thanks. Just did Paris with a 5 min PB. Got Hadrian's Wall in June and I'm joining a load from the Paris thread in August to do a relay run from Bratislava to Brussels for charity - inthelongrun2013.org if you fancy joining. How long till Comrades?

01/05/2013 at 12:56

mysecretpassion - go for it, I ran 3h26 in my first marathon off one half of 1h37. If you double your HM time and add twenty minutes that should be a safe predictor, I managed to go faster than that probably due to the training benefits after the HM.

I am considering Amsterdam or Dublin so popped my head around the door to see if some marathon experts are willing to part with their advice so I can establish pros and cons of both and make a decision from there.

01/05/2013 at 20:29

I'm in for this one.

hi H. I thought you'd be on here.

i'm running it with my girlfriend as we both fancied a summer training for a marathon rather than the traditional winter training. We also wanted to see Amsterdam and what better way of doing that.

we need sname info on sites to see and the best places to stay. Not looked at flights yet as toying with the idea of coming over on the ferry from Hull.

02/05/2013 at 21:50

8.5 miles for me tonight. I've ran Monday,Tuesday,cycled Wednesday so a busy few days. I've struggled to run this year through injury and I'm still struggling to get any pace but I'm hoping it'll clear soon and running will be more comfortable and easier.

The good thing is we've plenty of time .

Enjoy your weekends.

03/05/2013 at 12:47

I have yet to enter but have decided this one ahead of Dublin for various reasons. Does the race sell out sooner rather than later?

04/05/2013 at 14:10

Just done my longest 22 mile run (with SweatySock no less) for Edinburgh then its all systems go Amsterdam.  Need a huge blow out after that.  Does anybody have suggestions for things to do afterwards - (on a Monday )?

04/05/2013 at 14:44

BigChief - you have to visit Rijksmuseum. Its just opened again after a 10 year renovation. Looks incredible and home to the worlds largest collection of Rembrandts. Lots of other museums such as Van Gogh, Anne Frank etc too

Or enjoy the architecture wandering the streets of Jordaan or from comfort of a canal cruise. I can recommend hiring your own electric boat though - 20 times more fun!

Or 'go local' and hire some bikes and explore, stopping to take in the cafe culture or coffee shop culture if you're that way inclined. A good cycle will help those stiffs legs too post marathon!

Theres so much to do in this fantastic city that the biggest issue will be fitting it all in.

04/05/2013 at 14:50

Thanks Johnas.  Sounds like I might have to run the marathon a few times as an excuse to see all of that!!

H.
06/05/2013 at 19:11

Ha Ha... True.  You have to do Ann Frank but for goodness sake book online so you can just walk straight in.  If you don't you'll stand outside in the queue forever.  

Hiring a boat is great fun..  Try www.boaty.nl  

Oh and hey Howey

07/05/2013 at 11:11
H. wrote (see)

Hiring a boat is great fun..  Try www.boaty.nl  

That's who I hired off last time. They were excellent and provide maps etc. We hired a oat for a stag do - I was the best man and had arranged for all the stags to turn up as pirates for the day. We obviously dressed the groom as a parrot

H.
07/05/2013 at 23:01

Wish I'd been there to see that.  

There's also the beer bikes, ha ha;

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188590-d2409052-r152026511-Damtours_Beerbike-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

12/05/2013 at 17:41

I am now officially in for my first overseas marathon and my second one in all. Travel and race booked, just the accommodation to book.

Off to put a training plan together, planning to try and get 3h20 on this one having hit 3h26 in Brighton last month.

12/05/2013 at 19:16

Welcome aboard goalpost. You do know that foreign marathons aren't as far as the British ones. because km's aren't as far as miles.

13/05/2013 at 12:54

With those km markers I am not sure it will feel that I am running faster at first and then that I am running further than ever before as we near the end of the race. 

I may just leave the experience logged in laps of a mile for comparative purposes for UK marathons. No substitute for hard graft though so training plan starts on 1st July for me with a rest day.

21 to 40 of 661 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.