Amsterdam 2013

Amsterdam 2013

141 to 160 of 661 messages
09/09/2013 at 08:17

Graves - from my memory -it's paper cups.

gravesylad wrote (see)

Would like to think that bottles would be supplied in a big city marathon such as Amsterdam.

Apart from london - most of the major city marathons i've done in Europe only give out plastic cups.

I've never see AA iso lemon being sold anywhere in the UK. looking at their website it seems to suggest that it's only available in Belgium or the Netherlands. Perhaps email them and ask: http://www.aa-drink.com/about-us 

09/09/2013 at 08:44

3rd 20 miler completed this weekend. 6 at MGP but do have to stop for a breather afterwards like with the 4 last week. I think I found this with my training for my previous marathon but not entirely sure.

Question I need to ask is I am unable to run next weekend, do I bring forward or push back a long run to Thursday or Tuesday or simply pass it up and continue with the rest of my training as normal?

Emmy - do the cups just apply to water or to this AA stuff as well? I can see one sticky mess around the the water stations as most of hte drink will end up anywhere but where it is supposed to go.

09/09/2013 at 08:48

If I remember correctly everything is in cups and then you get a bottle of the AA drink at the finish. The aid station is laid out so water is first followed by energy drink/coke etc. and then banana's/food.

I think all aid stations are one big sticky mess?

09/09/2013 at 09:31

I have always found european marathons have cups with 1/3 full of sticky nasty drinks, not pleasent but do the job.

Goalpost - def pass it up - please !!!! 20 milers really take it out of the body and if you have done 3 then 1 more will make little difference, but could cause harm - especially if spaced 4 days apart!!!!! you dont get stronger running, you get stronger resting after the running! I'm sure most people on here will agree with me, dont be a slave to your schedule

09/09/2013 at 09:59

Thanks Wenty - I am pleased with your response.

Emmy - looks like I will be better off walking through the aid stations and bring a plate while I am at it - sounds like an all you can eat buffet.

09/09/2013 at 10:05
Goalpost wrote (see)

Emmy - looks like I will be better off walking through the aid stations and bring a plate while I am at it - sounds like an all you can eat buffet.

That's what I do 

09/09/2013 at 10:08

Goalpost: RE:Long runs. I would do a shorter LSR. Doing another 20 so close will just tire you further than being positive. You already have 3x 20 milers in the bag which is a lot more than others!

What other runs do you have planned this week?

09/09/2013 at 10:28

Hey people - you should try the medoc marathon through the vinyards - the water stations have wines and the food stations have cheeses - shame you have to run 26 miles really!!!!!

09/09/2013 at 10:32

Wenty -I ran medoc last year and ran Bacchus (the English version) yesterday

09/09/2013 at 10:37

Emmy, I cant believe I have never seen that one - i used to work across the road at Friends Provident (i presume thats where it is in dorking). I think Medoc was yesterday as well.

Another good one is Annacy, where all the locals bake cakes at various food stations. -i might do that one next year. great place!

09/09/2013 at 10:42

Yeah - it's Denbies wine estate. You run a little in Dorking but mainly on the trails around the estate. A really lovely day out, great marshals, fantastic aid stations (lots of wine!), great crowd to run with and couldn't ask for better. It's normally always the same weekend as Medoc (medoc is always on the saturday) and personally I think that Medoc has a better carnival atmosphere whereas Bacchus still keeps the 'race' element. There were a lot of residents during Medoc bringing out their own cakes and drinks (there was one homemade liquour stop at Mile 15 that was AMAZING).

09/09/2013 at 10:43

Emmy - looking at the previous reviews of Bacchus, it sounds fantasitic everyone raving as a must do and best marathon ever!!! - did you prefer Medoc or Bacchus as they are on the same day!

09/09/2013 at 10:52

Wenty - I would not get any further than the first aid station if I signed up for that one

Emmy

M - Easy run 45mins.

T- Rest

W - 4x8:00 threshold intervals + w/u and c/d so 10 miles in all

Th - Rest/

F - 10 miler with some MGP thrown in the middle.

Weekend - Enforced Rest

09/09/2013 at 10:56

Goalpost - trust me - you move on knowing that there is better wine coming up Best bit of advice I received was: take an extended stop with the wine served in glasses as opposed to plastic cups - it means its a good one!

That plan doesnt sound too aggressive - i'd just make sure that you're recovering well enough (nutrition/sleep etc).

09/09/2013 at 12:49

For those looking at what's available during the marathon:

TCS Amsterdam Marathon:
- 5 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
- 10 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - water – sponge
- 15 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
- 20 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
- 26 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
- 30 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - AA-Drink Energy Gel - fruit – water – sponge
- 32 km – water
- 35 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
- 38 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - AA-Drink Energy Gel - water – sponge
- 41 km – water
- finish – AA-Drink High Energy – fruit – water – sponge

09/09/2013 at 14:26

Along with half a dozen friends, I am entered to take part in Amsterdam M this October. Unfortunately one member of the group can no longer make the race. There's no refund available but the organiswill age kindly offered to transfer bib to a.n.other freenof charge. I am happy to take informal offer of Dutch beer as compensation.

If anyone's interested please send me a message as I'm usually on Triathletes (not Runners) World forums.

Otherwise best of luck to you all.

Edited: 09/09/2013 at 14:29
09/09/2013 at 23:28

Emmy,

Thanks for your response, looks like cups it is then!!

10/09/2013 at 08:42

Happy to help Gravesylad!

H.
10/09/2013 at 11:28

Still not sure due to moving house (countries!) if I'm going to be around for this.  I really hope so, and if not running then with a full support team and words of encouragement (or just a big stick)  Will keep you posted!  If so can hopefully help with picking up numbers and the like...

10/09/2013 at 13:16

Thats a shame H - surely you can spare a few hours running then get back to house moving in ther afternoon .

Thanks for the support.

This is the quietest marathon forum i have been on. I think Rome and Berlin had about 50 pages.

141 to 160 of 661 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.