Amsterdam Marathon 2012

701 to 720 of 1,006 messages
08/10/2012 at 20:48

Yeah, I think I better stay with 15-18k @ race pace (or even 10-15 seconds slower/km). Thank you guys!

08/10/2012 at 20:50

I've got 13.5 kms in my plan...you guys are tempting me to round up to 15 though...

08/10/2012 at 21:06

BaguetteBak - love it. Might have to buy one off you Squirrellypoo if I do Paris again next year.

Can I commission a BananaandwinegumsBak?

08/10/2012 at 21:58

Hmmmmm just converted my miles into km's and my training plan has me down for 19k this coming weekend.  It's a RW schedule yet on another page on this very site it does say don't go further than 8-10M (13-16k) in your final LSR!  Think I'll do less given the choice!!

09/10/2012 at 07:10

Love it!  RW giving contradictory advice...neeeevvvaaaaa

09/10/2012 at 12:58

I'm just planning a parkrun PB followed by an easy hour on Sunday, the work should all be done by then! 

H.
09/10/2012 at 16:26

My schedule says 8m this weekend and I tend to do better when I don't do too much the week before, so I'll stick to more or less that.  No more than 10 miles for sure...  I'll be focusing on the food and drink from this point

09/10/2012 at 22:12

Am doing things backwards; lots of reading to catch up on but thought I'd message first Can't believe it's only 12 days away... have had a chest infection for the last 8 weeks so training not exactly gone to plan... have got the Kingston challenge run this w/e - 16m and that's me done!

11/10/2012 at 12:36

does anyone know where i can sell my entry to the full amsterdam marathon 2012? i can no longer go

11/10/2012 at 12:38

Owing to my injury I can no longer take part in the marathon. I have a hotel booked for the night before the marathon. If anybody is interested in buying this from me let me know. The hotel website is www.moevenpick-amsterdam.com It is right in the centre. I open to any reasonable offer and I will accept a lot less than the hotel charges.

11/10/2012 at 17:15

Bad news OS.  I'm in the same boat but going along for the ride

11/10/2012 at 17:15

(Other clichés are available)

11/10/2012 at 20:27
Foolishly played volleyball last night and twisted my back. Now praying that ibuprofen will ease the pain quickly and I can get to the start line in reasonable shape. I know we can't wrap ourselves in cotton wool, but I should have known better. Doh!
11/10/2012 at 20:38

I think I need a reality check. London this year was my first marathon - 3:19:07. Entering Amsterdam I am feeling very strong and am trying to talk myself into targeting a sub 3:10. Am I crazy? My HM PB is 1:36 set over a year ago and I am much fitter, stronger and faster now, so definitely think I can put that down as a first half, but a second half 1:34 will be very very difficult. BUT it is flat, it is race conditions and who knows. Get it wrong though and I will have a painful second half and struggle to beat my London time perhaps.

Thoughts appreciated!

11/10/2012 at 20:46

How's training felt Garch?  Sounds like it's gone well.  Any races lately you could gauge potential from?

Negative splits is a tough one.  If you really think it's on I'd be tempted to look at the times for the 2 halves the other way around.

11/10/2012 at 20:56
Training has been good, although if I am honest not enough speed work. I do feel good though and like I'm peaking at the right time. I know if 3:10 wasn't such a big deal (BQ for me) I would probably be targetting 3:15 so if I don't feel great on the day I should have a race plan for that.

My last race was the British 10k in June: 42:09.

Good advice on ditching the negative split - I'm sure that's a sensible approach to take.
11/10/2012 at 20:59

Garch i think Leeds Rob advise of a 1:36 and the a 1:34 is a more achieveable target, Very impressive 1st marathon time. Im sure you have pick up a lot of experience from it. Most people knock a lot off their first marathon time so if training has gone well as you say you wont be far off 3:10 Best of Luck
Red_Rach be careful chasing a parkrun PB this weekend as i did the same last weekend and got one only to feel my calf after i crossed the finish line
Physio says im 50/50 at the moment.

11/10/2012 at 21:09
Garch - I'm hoping to knock 9 minutes off my time too (urgh, it looks a lot when you write it down like that) and like you I feel like I haven't done enough speedwork. I guess we just have to trust what training we HAVE done, and just go for it on the day. There is such a thing as a negative split, though I've never really understood why that's such a Holy Grail - I reckon it's better to aim for a steady pace.

Red_Rach - agree, careful with the parkrun. You might be better off doing a gentle saunter round this weekend, give it three weeks after the marathon then blast your way to a PB on the back of the race fitness. You don't want to risk anything at this stage.
11/10/2012 at 21:32

Running the mara next weekend, flight booked, yet to book accommodation. Any recommendations please? I've been looking at guest houses as well as Schipol airport hotels and barge stays. How easy is it to get to the Olympic stadium from Central station?

11/10/2012 at 22:21
Hi Tiddy,

I have a double hotel room booked which I cannot use as Injury resulted in me withdrawing from the marathon. It is a luxury hotel in the centre of Amsterdam. Normally a single night costs several hundred euros. I am willing to let it go for ??80 to you or any other interested party. The booking is for the night of 20 Oct. the night before the marathon. It is room only, no breakfast.
If interested let me know.
Edited: 11/10/2012 at 22:22
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.