Amsterdam Marathon 2012

721 to 740 of 1,006 messages
11/10/2012 at 22:24
That should read ??80 not ??80.
11/10/2012 at 22:26
Sorry my iPad is playing up! I am trying to say 80 pounds.
12/10/2012 at 09:42

Garch - good to hear you feel confident in your training. That's always a good start, getting to the start line knowing you've done everything you can. I think targetting a negative split you've sugested is too much pressure and a big ask.

To hit 3.10 you need to be running @ 4.30per km pace. How has that felt in training? Have you been doing MP runs at that pace? If if felt good and your comfortable running at that pace, I personally (and purely my opinion of course) would break the race down in 4x 10k's - head out at first 10k slightly slower than MP to get in your rhythm (also Dam can get a bit congested in first 10K), hit MP for 10k - 30k which should feel comfortable and then bosh a gel and see what's left in the tank for the final 10k.

RedRach - I ran a parkrun the weekend before Berlin last month and glad i did. gave me a real confidence boost and i smashed my PB by nearly a minute. The choice is yours but as it's now 2 weeks since Berlin, the thought of doing any fast races at the moment for me seems a long way off! I'm still recovering!

I'll be running the Half in Dam and pacing a mate round to a new PB. Really looking forward to it!

12/10/2012 at 09:51

Thanks Johnas. When you put it that way 4 x 43min 10Ks does sound a big ask, given that my last 10k race was in 42.. I like your idea though of breaking it down into that as seeing how it goes, so perhaps a comfortable 44 min, try and hit 2 x 43s and then ride out the pain in the last 10k to glory!

12/10/2012 at 09:53

Sorry - I just went mental. 4:30 per Km (i usually only 'do' miles) would be 45 min per 10k. So a 46min 10k, followed by 2 x 45 min, and then a 44m. 

That doesn't sound quite as scary!!

12/10/2012 at 10:25

only km markers in Amsterdam Garch! (FYI: 7.14 - 7.15 min miles)

Just remember NOT to leave Autolap on your Garmin if you wear one and instead press lap manually at each km marker (hence why you need to think in km's). Garmin's just aren't accurate enough so dont rely on the autolap feature to give you your accurate splits.

12/10/2012 at 10:32

Great advice. Auto lap has done me in on races in the past. I will work on per mile pace but with 10ks for the major splits. 

12/10/2012 at 12:43

Thanks Johans thats what I was thinking, a confidence booster to get rid of any taper induced doubts! My last PB was the week before Manchester marathon and I'm much fitter now so should be capable of knocking at least a few seconds off!

12/10/2012 at 13:02

Judging by my stress levels this week, I'm going to require the entirety of the marathon distance to purge it all. I may cross the finish line broken in body and/or spirit, but at least I'll be stress-free.

12/10/2012 at 16:49
Sorry to hear about your injury Leeds bob... I am uninjured but more to do with not having done a lot of running so will be painful and mostly from memory I think.

Is there a pre run meet up anywhere?
12/10/2012 at 17:09

Ard de Triomphe style?

Good point, havent' thought of that.  Anywhere anyone can suggest?

13/10/2012 at 08:18
yes and no dlr. yes arc de triomphe style would be good but also night before pasta meal...
H.
13/10/2012 at 09:07
S'Poo ... Know the feeling. Indeed the running helps. Take it easy this week. Remind me of the AMS marathon a few hears ago when work forced me to go on a business trip coming back the night before having travelled 24 hours with little food and drink and no sleep at all. I dragged myself round in about a 4.15. It was brutal.

Today? I have a very bad cold (I'm saying cold but tempted to go as far as 'flu') Hot and cold and headachy. No run for me today. Taking out shares in Lemsip instead and feeling sorry for myself.

How's everyone else? Sorted for hotels etc?
13/10/2012 at 10:50

Tested out my back this morning with a very careful 5 miles. Sime minor twinges but nothing too worrying thankfully. 8 miles tomorrow and then probably do very little during the week.

H - Hope the cold clears up. I prefer whisky to Lemsip.

13/10/2012 at 11:45
Whisky mac (whisky and green ginger wine) - if it doesn't cure your cold, keep drinking it until you no longer care .

Looking on TripAdvisor my hotel appears to have two kinds of rooms - tiny cupboards with no windows, and lovely refurbished rooms with views of the canal. My experience of hotels is that I generally get a view of the bins, so I'm psyching myself up to blag my way into a nice one when I get there.
13/10/2012 at 12:17

Been lurking for a while so bout time I said hi and good luck to all next weekend.

Training has gone well for me, half marathon PB 1:31 @ Pleshey a few weeks back but that has confused me a little. When I entered I was looking for 3:50 as I ran Dublin last year with ITB and bursitus and finsihed in 4:15. However my half time and my general training indicates I should be able to bettter 3:15 and the GFA time which seemed a distant dream. My dilema is actually whether I can do it or not, big confidence issue. The bursitus seems to have flared up in the last few weeks but only a minor niggle. Good Park Run this morning and no signs of pain so fingers crossed for a pain free final taper week.

Couple of questions others may be able to answer for me:-

I am in start D ( Due to my time at registration). How strictly is this marshalled as I'd rather get into C now if im going to target GFA.

Do you get the normal kit bag for race day storage when you collect your number?

13/10/2012 at 13:07

Afternoon everyone, looks like people are just about all sorted for next weekend, can't wait to get over to Holland and start running. How longs everyone going over for, i'm heading out on Thursday to get a couple of warm up runs in and around the Leidseplien area done, flying back on the Monday evening then.

Is anybody planning on heading out for a few post-race drinks on the Sunday, i'm going to be there on my own so would be nice to meet up with some people and enjoy the rest of the day in Amsterdam.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 13:08
H.
13/10/2012 at 13:15
Indeed... Post race beer!!!

Last couple of years it's been http://www.cafeholeinthewall.nl/nl_nl/home/

It's leidesplein so central, where most of the trams pass by, and big enough to know you'll probably get a seat which to my mind is critical

Any thoughts?
13/10/2012 at 18:16

Ace

I'm there on my own too so after race drinks sounds good to me. I fly out Saturday morning and back again on Monday morning.

13/10/2012 at 18:40

That Cafe Hole in the Wall looks decent, sounds like a plan.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.