Amsterdam Marathon 2012

961 to 980 of 1,006 messages
24/10/2012 at 22:25

Karen - I don't really follow a training plan as such. On an ideal week, I do four runs - two intervals, one tempo run and one long run, which is about half-marathon distance when I'm a long way off a marathon, then I just add a mile to it every week, so the closer to the marathon, the farther I'm going. I like to do a full 26-miler three weeks out, but I'm a bit mad in that respect. Everything you read says you only need to train to about 20-22 miles, partly because of the increased risk of injury, but psychologically I like to know I go the full distance. Plus I do bits and bobs in the gym and pool each week.

I think I'm probably in the minority by not working to a plan. What does everyone else here do?

24/10/2012 at 22:25

Funnily enough, I seem to have (somehow) put it on you tube too! Marathon music

24/10/2012 at 22:39

Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

We got there!!!!

24/10/2012 at 22:46

Excellent work there Monk, no thanks to my misdirection

25/10/2012 at 00:00

I definitely had an issue with the cups like others, and I like the fact that Paris gives out 33cl bottles

Despite the pain of Sunday, I'm strangely tempted to right a few wrongs in Paris though the thought of having to prove a time to get into the 3.15 pen is putting me off. I don't want to have to fight through crowds, and I thought Amsterdam was lovely and spacious bar the first corner.

Does anyone whose registered (or has done before) know if my 3.28 from Amsterdam will be ok if I put a target of 3.15 (I think I can do 3.20 if I take measures to stop cramping) or is this a question for the Paris thread....?

Thanks in advance!!

25/10/2012 at 07:22

James- you will be ok just to put a target of 3.15(whatever colour that corresponds with) on your registration. 

25/10/2012 at 08:21
Glad we got that one sorted. I wonder if Vangelis is a runner? He certainly knows how to write some stirring stuff!
25/10/2012 at 10:34
The Monk wrote (see)

Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

We got there!!!!

Yes! That's it - it's really been bugging me

One other thing I really liked in the Amsterdam marathon was the App so people could track you on the course. Not sure if other marathon's also do it but it worked really well - my OH downloaded it and was able to track me on the course and figure out when he needed to get out of bed to cheer me over the finish line.

25/10/2012 at 10:39

Thank you to everyone who answered with the song! It's been in my head since Sunday.

Now i'll listen to it in preparation for the registration for the Berlin marathon...

25/10/2012 at 11:01

Paris has a similar free app. No idea what it's like in terms of ease of use/reliability tho

Good luck for Berlin registration Emmy. If it's anything like the Paris scramble last Wednesday it'll be an interesting few hours. German efficiency being what it is tho, you'll hopefully have a smoother time.

25/10/2012 at 11:10

@weedy - you wont believe it... under 2 mins - in and out and no hassle. Instant email and confirmation. I've still got the paris grim under my nails so have taken a screenshot to prove i'm in the first band but I doubt i'll need it.

Less than 4 minutes later and they're already up to 90EUR

25/10/2012 at 11:17

Brill. Saw Jimbob and Kaz over the Paris thread raving about how efficient it was.

25/10/2012 at 11:23

Paris app is as inefficient as its registration.........Last year I was still running at 9pm!!!

25/10/2012 at 11:44

Kaz - you've gotta love the French. Imagine what the Olympics would have been like if they'd got the bid instead of London. How's you feeling today?

25/10/2012 at 12:10

Thanks kaz1!

25/10/2012 at 12:55

Weedy -  Not so good thanx. Overthinking things isn't helping, I think.

25/10/2012 at 17:42

I know it's alien to you, but take it easy Kaz. And stop thinking - it's bad for you.

I was humming and haying over Berlin for an Autumn Marathon, but now I don't have to have to as it's sold out! So I think I'll run my local marathon for the the first time - The Moray Marathon in September. It's a lovely course, I can walk to the start/finish in 5 minutes, no airports to contend with, and it'll save me a fortune. Also, I don't have that may running years left in the old legs, and I have already run Berlin. So many others out there waiting to part me from my hard earned dosh.

Spring? Still swithering over Paris. Or Edinburgh, Or Venice. Or Dublin. Or have a rest? Decisions, decisions.

25/10/2012 at 17:49

And a lasting memory from Amsterdam will be having a pee in one of those open air trough thingys, in front of the packed stand in the Olympic Stadium. Bizarre!

25/10/2012 at 20:35
Been so busy to post the last couple of days. Anyhow, hope everyone had an awesome time in the 'Dam, managed to knock 17 minutes off my previous best to finish in 3:51, agree like other posters that it all went pear shaped during the last 10k. Ran the first half in 1:45 but cramped up ba after that. Doh. Ah well, bring on Paris.
25/10/2012 at 21:52

In case anyone's not got today's newsletter or deleted it...

Amsterdam's on October 20 next year. Entries open November 12

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.