Amsterdam Marathon 2012

1,001 to 1,006 of 1,006 messages
28/10/2012 at 09:58

WG: I am chuffed!  But the improvement from Stockholm looks bigger than it actually was. I had an average speed of 5.42/km during the race in Stockholm, but 5.08 between km 40-42.2, so I definitely had the capacity to go faster. As it was my first marathon I run with the attitude `better safe than sorry´. Add 4 degrees, heavy rain and stormwinds to that and you realize the time could/should have been better.

Parkrun looks fun. There is nothing similar here in Sweden. As my friends house in Newcastle is about a mile from the start I plan to jog there so I am in the park 15 minutes before the start and then jog straight back to their house after the run. By doing this I don´t have to bring a tracksuit on the flight. 

One thing I don´t get though is how they do the timing. No one seems to have a bib on the pictures I´ve seen?

Edited: 28/10/2012 at 09:59
28/10/2012 at 14:33
When you cross the finish line, you're given a numbered token. You take that, and the barcode you get when you registered (which you must remember to take with you) to one of the marshals, who will scan in the details. You then get an email with a link to the results, (and a text message if you've given them your number). How long it takes depends on the size of the race and how efficient the marshalls are, but it's generally within a couple of hours. Works pretty well.
Edited: 28/10/2012 at 14:34
28/10/2012 at 18:19

RR: Ok. But do I understand it correctly: I don´t need to sign up for the particular run? I just register to parkrun, get my barcode which I bring, do some sort of check in before the start and then do the procedure mentioned above afterwards to get my result. Thats all?

Edited: 28/10/2012 at 18:20
28/10/2012 at 19:06
Yes, that's all there is to it. Sign up once, get your barcode, take it to any of the parkruns, any Saturday, and your results will all be stored on your home page. There isn't really any check in at the start either, although there is generally a briefing, where they'll ask if anyone's a first-timer, and point out anything you need to know about the course. And parkrunners are generally a friendly bunch, so if you have any questions when you get there, just ask.
28/10/2012 at 20:11

Well, this evening I have demolished the last of my treats - a Biscuit Boost which went down a treat.  That's it, the treat cupboard is now bare and the next thing to think about will be a run.  I took a good 4/5 weeks to fully recover after my first marathon.  But I read that the shock of your first marathon causes your body to put in place systems to recover better next time out and so far, I do feel pretty good within myself.  So I am feeling optimistic about slipping the ld trainers on again in a couple of days time.

You'll love parkrun SS, it's a fantastic idea and it's popularity is absolutely booming in this country - my local one got over 400 runners a couple of weeks ago.  I credit parkrun with making me the runner that I am today after having a go for the first time two years ago.  Just remember your barcode and enjoy!  And well done on the 3:42, wish I'd improved like that from marathon#1 to #2!

30/10/2012 at 22:20

The Music at the start of the Marathon was Very stirring stuff, certainly got me moving ..............glad we now know what it is. Great day had

Edited: 30/10/2012 at 22:25

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,001 to 1,006 of 1,006 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.