Athens Marathon 2003

...a long way away I realise...

15 messages
10/10/2002 at 08:34
I quite fancy this one for a few reasons:

1. It's run from Marathon to Athens, so has a little bit of history associated with it.

2. It's the Olympic course for 2004, so I can "be there first"

3. The weather in Greece at that time of year will be vastly different to the grey of the UK I can currently see.

Any thoughts? Long way to go I realise, but if there's plenty of interest, could be added to the list of "A race for all of us to meet at"
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
10/10/2002 at 09:12
What is the date?
10/10/2002 at 09:23
This year it's 3 November - clashes with NY, but for those who run FLM in the spring, is an option for a less crowded second marathon of the year (or third or fourth depending on your 26.2 addiction!), slightly closer to home. Website is
http://www.athensclassicmarathon.gr/
10/10/2002 at 16:23
Injury permitting you can pencil me in. I think in finnishes in the old olympic stadium, and is said to be the best marathon finnishing line in the world.
10/10/2002 at 20:52
Wow, sounds like a fantastic run to do. Doesn't get much better than racing from Marathon to Athens itself.

I'd love to do it - will have to see how FLM goes first.

venom
06/11/2002 at 15:14
I ran this in 1993 - it probably is the best finishing straight in the world in the old stadium. 1st half is pretty flat, then a climb from 14 to 20 miles, then down into the city. Anyone know of a tour operator offering a package - Sports Tours ran one in 1993, but they're not planning to do so again next year...

PT
06/11/2002 at 20:54
Any one got a link for the organisors?
06/11/2002 at 21:21
14/01/2003 at 17:06
Just had a look at the ACM website - seems online registration for 2/11/03 will be available during January. I'm definitely going to apply - still no sign of any UK tours being organised, but I spotted a US website offering accommodation & support packages (no flights) - if anyone else is interested, I'll do a bit more "digging" for info...

PT
14/01/2003 at 23:09
Paul I used to live just outside of Athens in Glyfada.
It would probably be best to book a cheap flight with Easy jet and get a hotel from the GNTO (Greek tourist board) or just run a search on Athens hotels. Or if you like I've still got friends in Glyfada who could book rooms there.
15/01/2003 at 08:31
Thanks pizzaman, good idea; I'll do some more websurfing. Anyone else planning to do ACM, pls let me know.

PT
15/01/2003 at 16:22
Paul have you entered yet?
15/01/2003 at 16:33
not yet...
15/01/2003 at 16:41
The main thing that puts me off this one is the elevation profile. It looks like _hard_ work.

Going to wait and see how FLM goes - my main target for the year is to get a 3:15 qualifying time. If I don't manage it at London, I'll do the flattest, fastest autumn marathon I can find. If by some miracle I do manage it, then I'll seriously think about doing Athens.
04/03/2003 at 17:13
Official website now announces online registration available in April. The US website "www.athensmarathon.com" is offering a selection of tours - there's a "minimal support" package (race entry fee, 3 nights B&B plus pasta meal on the Sat, extra drinks etc) available which doesn't include flights. I'll be having a close look at this tonight to see how it compares price-wise with a couple of citybreaks I've seen... watch this space.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.