Athens marathon

21 to 40 of 45 messages
22/10/2012 at 10:47

just got my team gb running vest of ebay today ,hope i run as good as it looks ,

01/11/2012 at 08:31

Race number confirmation e-mail arrived last night - number 2156.  It's all getting very real now.  Just one more treadmill session, two tempo runs, and a 10-miler this weekend then we're off!!  Flying Easyjet from Manchester next Friday, staying at the O and B Hotel in central Athens.  Planning on getting a bus from Syntagma Square to Marathon around 6am on the Sunday morning.  Happy to have a quick meet at Mcr Airport with anyone else on the same flight next week.

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 08:32
01/11/2012 at 17:33

Yep, my confirmation arrived yesterday too; 8140. Really looking forward to it

Managed to get my hotel changed too, so now staying at the Evripides in Monastriaki, so not too far to walk to the buses at Syntagma on the Sunday; things are beginning to look up for the weekend.
I fly out with BA from Heathrow at lunchtime on the Friday. Would be interesting to know if anyone else is heading out on that flight.

01/11/2012 at 20:55

hi got my confirmation last night also number 10023 ,on the same flight top shuffler , we are getting the 08.55 train from leeds so will be in the airport for 10.30am , c u there , hi den think your flight arrives about 1hr before ours ,can try and meet up if u like fri night , will be out and then a nightcap on our rooftop bar in the athens gate hotel if u fancy meeting up

03/11/2012 at 16:16

Hello everyone, just found this thread! I too am flying out Friday (from Birmingham) and back Monday, Would be great to meet some of you. I am at the Parthenon hotel which seems to be pretty central to all the sites. Beginning to feel rather scared now!

Anne

03/11/2012 at 17:00
Hi Martin, I arrive at 6pm so hopefully should be able to make registration on Friday evening. Would be good to meet up with you in the evening. Likewise, you too Anne if you're around.
Can't believe it's only a week away now, really looking forward to it
03/11/2012 at 23:22

Hi everyone,I am also going on Friday morning from Gatwick and back on Monday.I am with STI  and as Anne  staying at the Parthenon hotel.Can't wait for next Sunday!

06/11/2012 at 11:39

Three of us fly out from Gatwick on Friday morning (Easyjet) and back on Monday. We are staying at the Malia. Be good to meet up somewhere for a pre race chat. Just hope I have recovered from Snowdon last week. I feel pretty good and haven't done much since so should be OK!

07/11/2012 at 18:13
Perhaps one of our Athens experts could suggest a time and place for a get together over the weekend.
07/11/2012 at 18:35

Do we have an expert

Tanas - I am also with STI but looks like they don't have a rep there so we are on our own!

Looks like people are hoping to register on Friday - so Saturday for sightseeing. I could suggest 10am Satuday morning outside some place everyone wants to see, but I have never been to Athens so don't know what would be an easy place to find people. We could clutch a RW mag for recognition! I want to head to the Acropolis for sure at some time over the weekend. As for the rest I was planning on reading the guidebook on the plane!

07/11/2012 at 18:38

im no expert den but at the entrance of the panathenaic stadium where we run into sometime sat would be a good meeting point ,good to have a look around the musuem under the stadium with all the olympic torches is really interesting and have look inside the stadium , me and my other half will be on the rooftop bar of the athens gate  hotel on friday night about 10.30pm -11pm roughly , just another point is anybody taking partners who are not running , my partner is coming to marathon for the start ,friends family etc are allowed on the buses to take us down but have to make their own way into athens for the finish so she may be looking to share a taxi if there is anybody else in the same position , also does everybody know they can collect their 5 days free travel pass from the airport when they arrive on friday

07/11/2012 at 18:47

Martin - entrance of the panathenaic stadium is a good idea, I want to see that. How about 10am - then people can move on to oher places alone or in groups as they like?

Do you know if we can get the travel pass from the expo also? I have booked transport from the airport as I didn't fancy public transport by myself with luggage. Just me going, no spectators.

07/11/2012 at 18:57
Panathenaic on Saturday morning sounds good. I'd also like to see the Acropolis at some point. I'll make sure I've got a copy of RW to wave around! Hehe

I do remember reading somewhere that there will be a welcome desk for us at the airport for travel passes etc, although I'm led to believe that they're not valid on the airport service. Could anyone confirm otherwise? Incidentally, with the buses on Sunday morning, does anyone know if we're assigned to a certain bus or is it just turn up and get on the first one?

Hope you all have good journeys out there and look forward to catching up with you all at some point over the weekend.
07/11/2012 at 19:58

The Manchester flight on Friday lands at 19:05 so I'll be registering on Saturday morning.  Coming across with the good lady and a couple of friends (non-runners), and not flying back until Tuesday.  Holding off the sightseeing until Monday, trying to have a relaxing day on Saturday.  Will probably walk to the stadium so Mrs F knows where she's going on Sunday, 10am may be a bit early for us though.

Martin, we're booked into the Wilmslow Exec lounge at Manchester.  I'll catch up with you at the gate.

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 20:08
07/11/2012 at 23:25

Moggie-don't know about STI rep. but I'll be in the hotel after 3pm so we may meet at some point and I think I'll leave expo for Saturday.

It will be good to meet on Saturday morning in the stadium,I am up for it.

13/11/2012 at 12:13

Well how did everyone get on?

It was tougher than Snowdon two weeks ago for me - but that was probably because I ran Snowdon and wasn't properly recovered!

I finished in 3:06:54 which gave me 165th out of the 6370 finishers (not sure how many didn't finish) and 9th in my age cat so I was very happy indeed. I felt dizzy from about fifteen miles which has never happened before so in the end just happy to get back to the Stadium in one piece.

The atmosphere inside the Olympic Stadium was electric which made me quite emotional at the end.

Great weekend and thoroughly recomend this one to anyone thinking of taking it on next year.

13/11/2012 at 14:25

I really enjoyed it - well the finish at least! I managed 3:42, which put me in 5th place in my age cat and more importantly should secure a GFA place at one of the hard to get in marathons if I am daft enough to do another! Need to grow another toe-nail first though. Well done on your time Roger - very impressive!

Definitely one to be recommended and the organisation was superb, was particularly impressed with the buses to the start after having witnessed how wrong this can be organised with other races!

14/11/2012 at 13:08

Congratulations on your GFA Moggie and 5th place is not too shabby either!

I have a couple of toe nail issues probably caused by the heat because they were fine at Snowdon.

We estimated that they would have needed over 100 buses to take everyone to the stadium which would have been inpresive in any Country, but considering the Greeks laid back attitude about everything in general it was even more impressive.

14/11/2012 at 13:15

Well done the pair of you for the fantastic times you posted.  This was much tougher than I had imagined.  The long drag uphill from mile 11 to 19.5 took more out of me than I thought, and the plan to 'coast' in for the last 6 miles just didn't happen. Finished in 4:01:33 which with hindsight I'm pleased with, despite passing the halfway mark in 1:54 (slightly ahead of schedule).  Agree 100% with the comment re the organisation. Our farcical journey from airport to city centre on Friday evening caused some concerns about their infrastructure, but the arrangements on Sunday were top notch.

It's an absolute must-do race in my opinion.  The whole event was so steeped in history and finishing in that magnificent stadium was so awesome that I'm not afraid to say I had a little sob to myself after I crossed the line.

Aside from the race the two days sightseeing in Athens was simply not enough.  The Acroplis was amazing, the Temple of Zeus was immense, and the Panathenaic Stadium tour was probably the most interesting two hours I've had in recent years.

I have a feeling I'll do it again, but I'll make sure I increase my hill-training before the event.... 

14/11/2012 at 13:27

The weekend was so good I had forgotten about the 2 1/2 hour bus ride crambed in like sardines because of the strikes - I found it quite funny when the girls gave us the free travel card to use for five days and then anounced that there was a strike and it would be difficult to get into Athens!

It soulds like you will be returning next year Top Shuffler.

I was also on target (1:30:01) at the half way point but the hill at nine miles took any extra energy completely away from me and by fifteen miles I decided to just try and enjoy the pain.

Like you I thought I would run the last six down hill miles much faster but I had nothing extra left and just coasted in. I am not sure I could have ran it any differently either, it was just a very tough marathon.

Roll on flat VLM!

21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.