Athens marathon

41 to 45 of 45 messages
14/11/2012 at 19:14
What a weekend! Thoroughly enjoyed myself and Greece definitely outlived my expectations. Plans fell apart a bit on Friday with the strike as I couldn't get to register in time so had to do that on Saturday which ate into my sightseeing, but I did get chance to have a good look round the stadium which was fascinating and also the Acropolis which was amazing. So pleased I climbed up there on Saturday though, don't think my legs could have coped with that on Monday!

The race was everything I expected and more. I knew there would be uphill, but didn't realise how hard it was going to be, more hill training is required for next time! I'm more used to the flat in Edinburgh. That really took it out of me and the last 6 miles were an exhausted crawl until rounding the corner at the presidential palace when I just went for it to get a decent finish-line photo! Yes, I really must be that vain! I'm hardly the quickest over the distance and wasn't expecting a fast time but I finished in 5:28 which is considerably slower than I know I can do, but I'm so pleased to say I've finally run from Marathon to Athens and that's reward enough. Added into that the finish in an Olympic stadium and the wonderful support of the Athenian people on the way round; it's definitely a race I will remember for a very long time. Kudos must go to the organising committee too. I was really impressed with the way everything was handled. The conveyor belt of buses on Sunday morning was some feat and all the feed stations were well equipped, even for us slower ones at the back! There are a few races in the UK that can learn a lot from Athens.
Really enjoyed my first trip to Greece and definitely thinking about going back to run again next year
14/11/2012 at 20:01

Well done to all who went and ran, real jealous.

Next year is a must for me,

03/01/2013 at 12:52

When does registration open for 2013 - sounds a bit of a must do! That would be London, Rome, Amsterdam, Paris and Athens sorted then!!!

04/01/2013 at 21:59

hi mark it really was an amazing experience especially with the finish in the magnificent panithanikon stadium at the end ,registration was early in the new year , wil let u know for def when i check my emails

09/01/2013 at 22:20

Thanks Martin, please can you email me ... whitehead.mark@btopenworld.com thanks so much!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 45 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.