Barcelona Marathon 2013

When does entry open?

81 to 100 of 134 messages
24/02/2013 at 16:32
It's up to you! Gamble is all yours but its mind games! It's not your 1st marathon so you know what to expect. As long as you start easy and pace it right it will be easy on race day. Like I said 20m 14 days before will not make you fitter for Barca, but may help ya head!
24/02/2013 at 17:32

Thanks again, Muzza. Today was pretty tough, and now my right calf seems to be complaining (maybe compensating for the left one, which had been the injury). All I know is that I am going to take it very easy, both with the rest of the training and the race itself

26/02/2013 at 17:18
If you got niggles now I'd defiantly not risk a 20. Like I said do 10 then 10 the next day so it doesn't take so much out of you or risk the injury. If the injury comes back you will kiss Barca. Totally up to you tho like I said.
26/02/2013 at 19:34

Didi,

Regarding the pen situation, I did the race last year and this was the one area that let it down. It was all a bit of a bun-fight to get in the start area, surrouding area was too small and congested, in the end I scaled a security fence to get in, bit risky just before the start of a marathon.

We set off in 2 waves about 5-10 mins apart. Your wave is set by your predicted time on entry.

Other than that brilliant event in a great city. We had lovely spring sunshine which helped, hope your all as lucky and have a great time

26/02/2013 at 20:44
Best get there in plenty if time then.
27/02/2013 at 19:32

Thanks all. Overtaken by events...new developments, and not good ones. When I came in on Sunday, as previously mentioned, my right calf was playing up. Yesterday I went out, really really slowly, and the right calf buckled painfully after a mere 0.32 miles. Mierda.

So with 18 days to go, it is doubtful if I could even run-walk it. I might risk further damage and I've got Edinburgh in May. I will decide the night before, as I'm obviously still coming: flights bought, hotel booked, ticket for FC Barcelona v Rayo Vallecano and so on.

27/02/2013 at 22:30
Sorry to hear that Didi, frustrating! Dont forget Justin Beiber tickets!

Fingers crossed it sorts itself, go get a deep sports massage, no pain no gain!
03/03/2013 at 19:42

I have to say a big thanks to the 1:45 pacers at the Meath Spring Marathon - I stayed with them till the last big hill (little hill) then fell about 50 metres behind them but they came back for me and dragged me over the line as last of their Group in 1:44:58.  I just need a bit of a recovery now  (  Double big thanks to the pacers)

03/03/2013 at 22:12

Hi guys,  thanks for all of the info on this forum.  I have booked Barca as my first ever marathon and now that it is two weeks away, am getting increasingly nervous.  Just looking to get round really, especially as training has been slightly disrupted by a knee injury as well as having to fit it in with everything else.  Did a half marathon today in 1:53 so thinking that 4.15 is a realistic goal as suffered at the end; just getting 26 done seems so daunting at the moment, just crossing the line is going to be great.

Due to my wife working in a school and not being able to get time off, we are flying back Sunday night.  I think I am dreading this more than the marathon as well as being annoyed as hell that I will not be able to see FC Barcelona play.

Good luck everyone.  Stay injury free for just two more weeks!

04/03/2013 at 11:23

What is it with injurys! ,I've been struggling with my calf for the last few weeks as well, took a week off and felt ok but it went again so have now not run for 11 days, it's been pain free for a week now so will do a little run this week.

May book a massage in this week & see if that helps.

Not ideal but will be at least starting, going to make sure I've got some cash & a metro ticket with me in case I have to bail

Have London 5 weeks after, so depending how this goes I'll make the decision on deferring.

04/03/2013 at 11:24

Also, I take it you have to go pick your race number up ? when can this be done if so?

Couldn't find the info on the website

Edit - Found it-

http://www.zurichmaratobarcelona.com/exposports_visitantes_i.htm

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 11:33
06/03/2013 at 09:26

I received my Bib No today by e-mail

06/03/2013 at 13:25

Yep mine just came through as well, 14959.

Fly out a week today, can't wait.

06/03/2013 at 21:29

If you get the Airport bus it has two main stops - Plaça d’Espanya and Plaça d’Catalunia - The first stop is where the Expo centre is - As soon as you get off the bus you will see the fountains and the pedestrian area to Montjuic - This is also the start and finish area. I have just cancelled my original reservation and got a new three person apartment for two nights for €140 but it is a 25 minute metro ride to the start but at least it is direct but the wife is happy because we are near the beach

Barceloneta Delight Apartments 4 Stars

07/03/2013 at 07:50
Jim thanks for bus info, we will be using that too.our appartment is in Les Corts area near Nou Camp so need to find if the start is walking distance or better on metro
King kenny we fly next thur too and unfortunately need to get back on the sunday night. Plane steps will be a challenge.iv booked a sports massage for the 18th. Had my first ever this week , still deciding if I liked it or not, God it hurt .
Just bought some of those inflatable sticks for my kids to hit together with union jacks on, 49p at Toys are us, left over Olympic stuff.not sure what they are called but will keep them entertained.
Sounds like you have all done good training.good luck x
07/03/2013 at 10:57

Staying in El Gotic area so plan to get the train from the airport as can then use a T10 ticket.

We used Airbnb for an apartment,  €30 a night   ,& reckon 3 stops (Drassanes to Espanya) away from the Start so all good.

Just need to sort out tickets for the Barca game now.

Going to be tricky not to get too carried away on the Cava

10/03/2013 at 08:05

The Shark, sorry to ask but ,are there toilets enroute? my worry is if it is so busy at the start and dont get to go within the last hour I would be happier knowing they will be there if needed.

my friend did Paris and said  lots of people just went while stood at the start. really dont fancy that

Another snowy run this morning, doing 8 then couple shorter in the week. see you all next week 

King Kenny , I hadnt thought about carrying cash and metro ticket. great advice, thanks

10/03/2013 at 10:27

I use a wrist band with a zip pocket - ideal for the emergency €20 and the metro ticket

10/03/2013 at 15:17

My calves behaved themselves this morning and I managed 10 pain-free miles (in the snow!). Really hoping just to get round, but very excited about the whole thing - hope Barca beat AC Milan by 3 on Tues to put the city in a good mood!

Saw that King Kenny wrote that he would be carrying a metro ticket and some £s (well, Euros) in case he had to bail. Me too! Should be room in my belt for that along with a a few gels. What is the procedure if you have to drop out? Will ask when I pick my bib etc up, hoping to do so on Friday afternoon. By all accounts the Expo stalls are pretty impressive and you can happily spend a couple of hours there.

Kenny, did u get your Barca ticket sorted?

I hear that people should aim to get to the start by about 7.30! Will have to have a mid-night fuelling session and carry a few bananas to the start.

11/03/2013 at 13:00

didi, 10 mile pain-free is quite a relief having been a multiple calf-injury victims myself in the past.

KingK, is your calf ok now?

I too suffered a quad pain/inflamation from my last tempo run 3 weeks ago. Physio every other day and had only managed 4 easy runs since. So, it's going to be a survival campaign come Sunday. 20euro in my back pocket too that's for sure.

Hope everyone else is happily tapering down, while gearing up for the big day.

Anyone plan on meeting up before or after the race?

81 to 100 of 134 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.