Barcelona Marathon

First (and Only ?) Marathon

9 messages
30/09/2010 at 13:35

After having done several 1/'2 marathons, have agreed to do the Barcelona marathon next year.

Anyone done it before - what;s the course and temperature like ?

Have nudged mileage up to about 35 a week, with a 15 mile long run.

My best half is 1.40 - aiming for 3.30 - achievable ? 

30/09/2010 at 22:11

YOu will LOVE Barcelona. Temps are mid teens and it is flat so good for a quick finishing time. It is very scenic and mostly well supported. YOu run around many city sights.
The expo is super and very accessible. It is also right at the start so you can warm up and change before hand  , and afterwards , also inside. Very easy to get to and the city is lovely to hang around in the day before /after.

Its even better if you are a girl as the t-shirts are not just men sizes so they will actually fit.

Flights are very cheap at the moment  and hostel standards are very good if you are looking for something in the under €25 bracket for accommodation and free breakfast.

30/09/2010 at 23:03

I did it this year, fairly flat course , last 4km on a slight incline. Takes on all the sights of the city. Start and finish area is excellent as was the expo. Was a little cool this year probably not even 10c. 

Downside is with it being 1st week of March you have to train through the winter, which was a bit of a problem due to the ice and snow we had. Did a few runs on treadmill which is not ideal. 

01/10/2010 at 08:49

OK cheers guys.

Have to hope this winter is a bit milder than last - did a few snow & ice runs in Jan and Feb, could do without injuring myself beforehand !

What do you think about my chance of making the time -  did 15 miles in 1.56 at the weekend.

04/10/2010 at 14:35
I'm also considering Barcelona so thanks for the insight, I think you've managed to pursuade me me I should do it.
04/10/2010 at 15:35

The more the merrier !!!

It's €50 to enter.

We got flights and hotel for 2 nights (staying the Sunday for celebratory beers !!) for about £170.

Have you done a marathon before ?

04/10/2010 at 20:47
I did London VLM this year - my first marathon, I've now got the marathon bug! I would like to do a an event that's not so crowded which is why I think Barcelona will suit me. Might even get a better time hopefully.

It sounds like you are putting in the mileage so I'm sure you'll reach your target time.

Good luck with the training.
05/10/2010 at 10:54

You are well fixed for mileage. Deffintootely.

11/11/2010 at 22:58
Hi folks also intending to do it ( will be Marathon no 6,5 of which are all betwen 3.48 and 3.58 hours so would like to get sub 3.45) . Wife and 10 yr daughter likely to be dragged along to watch , any recommendations about where to stay ? Cheers

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.