Bath Half 2013

1 to 20 of 45 messages
16/07/2012 at 14:10
OMG !!!! what am I thinking of just signed to do the Bath Half next year 2013. must be the fact I've turned 40 this year and need a challenge. This will be my first ever half marathon. I have been running for 3 years but the longest I run each week at the moment 8 miles so still need to gather distance. I do run 4 times a week the other 3 runs average 3-5 miles. Just hope I can build upon distance and speed because I would like to complete it in 2hrs really but feel that my lack of speed will let me down. I just don't seem able to get any better than 10-11 min miles. Any tips would be welcomed.
16/07/2012 at 14:19
If you can do 8 miles regularly then I'm sure you will be able to build up to half marathon before then.

If I were you I would try to build up your longer run by a mile every 2/3 weeks and also add a speed session instead of one of your other runs, there are some good training plans on this site but generally only 12 weeks from your race date.

No reason why you can't start now though
16/07/2012 at 17:36

Oh for goodness sakes, now look what you did....I entered it by accident while I was checking out the website

You have a good sound base to build on and no reason at all not to achieve your target in the time you have

16/07/2012 at 18:42
Are they no longer doing priority entry for people who entered the previous year?
16/07/2012 at 20:27
We offered discounted 'Early Bird' entries immediately after this year's race instead of priority entries
16/07/2012 at 21:34
Ah ok . Thanks for letting us know
17/07/2012 at 15:18

I've entered - a bit on a whim really, as I haven't visited Bath for a few years and this seemed like a good reason to go.  Quite excited really - although that may wear off when I'm training in the dark over winter......

17/07/2012 at 15:29
Have any if you done the bath half before
17/07/2012 at 16:32

Ran it in 2009, great place for a good weekend.  I assume course is the same, it's pretty much a two lap course with just a bit at the start and end that you don't repeat.  Quite flat, surprisingly for Bath, so good for a quick time/PB.  I found it to be well organised  for quite a big race.  May look at doing it again.

17/07/2012 at 17:44
Soap buddy I have ran it in 2011 and 12 and have entered it in 2013. Jf50 describes it spot on. It is a nice flat course and support on the way round is fantastic. I used the park and ride at bath race course. The whole event is superbly organised. The first year I ran it was freezing cold only to be complete opposite this year. You have made an excellent choice for your first half. By the way I turned 40 five years ago and challenged the wife to run a half. I am now an addict 32 half marathons and 9 marathons later I am still not cured of this medal collecting obsession
17/07/2012 at 20:34
Ringo & JF50that sounds reassuring and also very inspiring. There is complete hope for me yet then. Maybe being 40 is the turning point for my running then.
18/07/2012 at 08:10

Soapbuddy, you've got loads of miles left in the tank.  If you have been running 3 years I reckon you have got the habit, and the occasional race is always a bit of extra fun and gives you a target to train for.

18/07/2012 at 16:30

I ran bathhalf last year and have to say it was amazing, the crowds were fantastic, it is a beautiful city, nice place to visit, but book now if you want to get in a restaurant the night before for pasta!! I am just about to sign up for next year and cant wait!!!!! 

18/07/2012 at 17:21

I'm tempted by this as it's one that I've not done and is in such a beautiful city.  I also note the relatively traveller-friendly start time of 11am.  Does anyone know if it will be feasible to do a daytrip from London or whether I'd definitely need to say over on Saturday night?  National rail tell me that the train journey would take about 1.5hrs but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of doing this before and if there will be some early morning trains out.  Perhaps you'd know of people heading West for this, Mr BHRD?

18/07/2012 at 17:34

ally, make a week end of it!! treat your self..

18/07/2012 at 18:59
Yes Ally I'd say stay over in Bath too. If your there the day before or even Friday you can have time to relax prior to the race and no travel stresses upon the day. There are some great hotels and restaurants central and as always can public transport be totally relied upon to get you to your destination on time etc.
I guess I have the added advantage of being a Bathion so have no travel commitments to worry about just completing it.....
I've only ever watched the race in year gone by, still can't believe that I have actually taken the plunge to take part.
22/07/2012 at 09:29
Last years bat half was my first big event, the atmosphere was awesome!
22/07/2012 at 09:47
I love the Bath Half. It's great for slowbies like me

I have done it every year for the past 5 or 6 years. Yes, there have been problems a couple of years ago but it's an excellent course and fully supported by the locals. I don't think there is any stretch of the course that is not supported
22/07/2012 at 11:10
The weather for bath half 2012 was brilliant! It did come as a bit of a surprise though, over the previous 6 months, my training had all been in the dark, sometimes with snow under foot! Due to a chest infection, I couldn't train for the 2 weeks before the race and so, the day of the race was my first time out in a pair of shorts for months! I wasn't 100% fit on the day, but the crowds got me around!
26/07/2012 at 23:11
I've done it twice 1st time was my 1st ever half...was great...but didn't like it the next year..and won't do it again..I found it a bit zz zz zz
1 to 20 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.