Beachy Head Marathon

For Saussge Rolls

181 to 200 of 329 messages
12/10/2012 at 13:07

Hi all....looks like we're hitting a wet spell so could be some muddy bits this year. Looks like the Roclites could get an airing........

I'm not 100% sure whether to do it or not as have a NYC place the following weekend which has long been an ambition. Tempted to walk/jog Beachy as a tapering 'run' (or walk/jog even more than usual) and make the most of the atmosphere and the food........really just don't want to miss this though as it's simply one of the best events going.

Not doing JSJ due to other commitments but wish I was, also a lovely route (but v hard for a 20 IMHO)

FB - Beachy marshalls are just the best. Smiling, encouraging and well stocked I try to thank every one as I go round - especially it it's like 2009 (I think - not good with dates) when it absolutely p*ssed down from start to finish (only marshalls I didn't thank then were those on the b*tches, as I couldn't see them through the low cloud). Will try to give you a shout at Lullington (if I can remember where that is - c9 miles ish, where we cross the road and up the concrete track....??)

12/10/2012 at 13:19

OG - I was marshalling in 2009 and it was a thoroughly miserable day of rain and low cloud - or was that 2010??.  never mind - it was a foul day.

Lullington Heath is just as you come out of Friston Forest heading towards the Long Man - an open area with 2 bridleways crossing it so we are there to point everyone in the right direction

12/10/2012 at 14:31
fabbudda - 2009 was the muddy wet misserble year. It was my hubby's first Beachy. I got a lovely hug of you thou
12/10/2012 at 16:43

2010 FB, couldn't see my hand in front of my face.  I wandered off course for a wee and couldn't actually find the course again.  I'd only gone about 10 yards.  It was bloody awful.

12/10/2012 at 16:44

Ah, so maybe both 2009 and 2010 or maybe I missed a year

12/10/2012 at 18:50

I think it absolutely chucked it down the whole day in 2004 as well....

12/10/2012 at 23:02

2009 was def pants. I thought 2010 was better, though anything can happen atop the Downs. It can be beautiful warm and Sunny in Eastbourne and the most frightful peasouper above.

I'll prolly go for a bimle somewhere over the Downs on Sunday and see all the Beachy hopefuls out training. It's been very busy these past few weeks esp around Littlington.

18/10/2012 at 10:22

Anyone remind me of what time the registration is on Friday Evening, seem to have lost the email!

Hoping I've done enough, training was going well, three half marathons in as many weeks but then got a chest infection last week so just hoping I can shift it!

Just hoping that the sunshine coast lives up to it's name, the 10 day forecast is good, but not sure how much of the route will have dried out by then.

Tommygun2    pirate
18/10/2012 at 10:28

Here is the registration bit from the e-mail (just copied and pasted)

REGISTRATION – will take place in the registration marquee which will be situated on Helen Gardens (next to St. Bedes School) You will be able to register and collect your number and timing chip on either Friday 26th October from 16.00hrs – 21:00hrs or Saturday 27th October from 06:00hrs - 08:30hrs. Please note registration will close PROMPTLY at 08.30hrs on Saturday morning for a 09:00hrs start. Registration will be organised in alphabetical order, please report to the table relevant to the first letter of your SURNAME. You will then be issued with your running number and your electronic timing chip.

I hope this helps

18/10/2012 at 10:35

That's great, thanks for that, good luck!

18/10/2012 at 10:37
GHallTN6 wrote (see)

Just hoping that the sunshine coast lives up to it's name, the 10 day forecast is good, but not sure how much of the route will have dried out by then.

it's not living up to it's name at the moment - it's peeing down - again. and more tomorrow.

you can more or less guarantee that most of the wooded and chalky tracks are going to be muddy/sticky/slippery now as they won't get time to dry out.  some of the open grassy trails will be OK as they soak rain up well.  

it's a trail shoe year

18/10/2012 at 10:49
Hope the start hill is not muddy
18/10/2012 at 11:20

Can't believe it is less than 10 days away now!

Looking forward to it but the nerves (and doubts) are starting to set in - perhaps it wasn't wise to choose this for a first marathon?!

Looking forward to meeting some of you at the race. Will look out for FB @ Lullington Heath.

For those of you who will be there, if you see a balding lonely guy in a Royal Marsden running vest looking lost/scared please say hello as I don't know anyone else who is running this.

18/10/2012 at 11:32

Pretty much the same as you "CelticRunner", just hoping that the thrill of the race will get me round, I do have a slight advantage/disadvantage in I know a lot of the terrain from walking and cycling, just never ran it!

It's that icy chalky stuff that's gonna be dodgy in the wet!

18/10/2012 at 11:38

"It's that icy chalky stuff that's gonna be dodgy in the wet!"

teflontastic!!  you'll need to be careful on the downhill chalky sections - and where algae has given it a green skin, then avoid those bits as you'll be A over T.   and if the chalk is very wet and muddy, then it sets like concrete as it dries out.  

nice eh??

Tommygun2    pirate
18/10/2012 at 11:52

I'll lookout for you Celtic I'll probably be wearing yellow and black Pirate top, but there may well be others in the kit. (although I also fit in with the balding bit but I am also short chubby and balding)

It is a tough event to do as a first marathon but I would not treat this as a typical marathon. Flat road maras can be just as hard as you are flat out the whole way round chasing times. At Beachy its more about just getting round in one piece and enjoying the banter and comradery of the other runners.

Just rember to take it very steady for the first few miles even though its probably the easyest bit, the climbs later on will take their toll.

18/10/2012 at 12:43

Celtic Runner, it was my first marathon too. If I do see you  (though with my times I think it might only be your back view at the start!), I'll say hullo.

Forget times, forget running all of it, the views are put there specially to slow you down  and make you stop to look at them (assuming it's not raining so hard you can't see them), just talk to people, eat everywhere, take a mac and crampons, and you'll be fine.

Worked for me!

18/10/2012 at 14:22

GHallTN6: Presuming the TN6 part of your name is part of you postcode you must be fairly local to me? I am down by Crowborough station.

See you all a week Saturday - I may be going down this Saturday for a short run along the last section.

18/10/2012 at 14:26

CelticRunner: Lol, yeah, I'm up in Southridge, going by your name I was hankering you might be a bit further north (But I'm down at the station every morning).

Where do you run local and are you on Strava?

18/10/2012 at 15:13
Celtic Runner - there is a lot of my club (Dagenham 88 Runners) doing this. For a lot of them it's their first marathon, do you will not be alone

Can't believe this is my 7th Beachy
181 to 200 of 329 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.