Beachy Head Marathon

For Saussge Rolls

281 to 300 of 329 messages
26/10/2012 at 16:06

I dream of 5hrs

26/10/2012 at 16:12

Good luck everyone - sad we're missing it this year but kinda glad not to be running in this weather!  Stay safe

26/10/2012 at 20:16
GHall - I agree with FB. My half PB is 1.36, Beachy PB is 4.22...........
27/10/2012 at 19:49
How did everyone get on? I thought the temperature was fine today, but certainly not the wind! I did go for trail shoes in the end, however it would have been fine in normal runners. My calves were on the verge of cramping going into The Seven B*tches so that was awkward trying to keep my ankles at a funny angle! Managed to finish 1 min quicker than last year so pleased with that. Hope everyone is pleased with their efforts and recovering ok.
27/10/2012 at 20:17

pleased I finished but I will not be returning, to be honest after about 12 miles I hated every minute.

Views were amazing, but the rest of it sucked.

That is just my opinion, I know other people will have loved.

27/10/2012 at 20:20

Love, love, loved this event as always.  Fantastic views today but that wind was a bit tiresome wasn't it?!

I was very pleased with my performance even though I was slow as usual.  That didn't matter a jot as my breathing was fine throughout which was fantastic as i've had a very bad year with it.  Met lots of friends en-route and chatted to a few new people too.

Lovely to see FB and Petal on marshalling duties and thanks for the hugs   Thanks to all the marshalls for standing around in that biting wind and for their support and encouragement.  Super event as always 

Also, a big thank you to Anthony and his team of photographers for popping up al over the place.  They always do a great job, no matter the weather, and are always there for the back-of-packers.

Edited: 27/10/2012 at 20:22
27/10/2012 at 20:27

I would like to say thank you to all the marshalls, they were amazing and they must have been frozen!

I did say thank you to alot of them, but probably not all.

27/10/2012 at 20:48

Could have done without that wind, but I enjoyed it overall and I'm sure I'll run it again some day.

27/10/2012 at 21:29
Good event as usual, a few tweaks made to the organisation, some good and some not improvements. So pleased I did this after dithering all week. Ran with a clubmate start to finish and kept to intended slow pace. Course PW as a result of 5.10 but very happy with that. Nice way to taper for next week in New York

FB - sorry I didn't say hello. I plodded past at Lullington and it was only after I'd gone a few hundred yards past I remembered !

Weather was fine mostly and didn't find the wind too troublesome apart from going up Beachy Head, when it also rained for 20 mins which was evil
28/10/2012 at 07:50

My first Beachy Head and I loved every minute of it (even the rain battering my face around Beachy Head) couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

I thought the pre-race organisation was brilliant - picked up race numbers, dropped bag off etc with no problems and all the volunteers were so friendly and helpful.

I'd done a lot of my training on the South Downs so kind of knew what I was letting myself in for.....but that first hill after the start line is just pure evil!!

I met so many lovely people, chatted and ran with them for parts of it - if there was anyone from this thread, I was the one in all the pink

I thought the aid stations were fantastic and the support from the marshalls was superb - I made a point of thanking every one of them, they were the true heroes of the day in my eyes, I just got up and ran!

As it was my first off-road marathon I was going to be happy with anything sub 05:30 and I came in at 05:11 so was delighted with that, my husband was aiming for sub 04:30 and came in at 04:22 so two very happy and satisfied customers.....will be back next year without a doubt

28/10/2012 at 08:15
Big thank you to Fat Buddah and all the lovely marshals. Had a lovely hug and kiss of FB

Was fed up last week as I pull my hamstring doing Ripped in 30 exercise dvd. I ran all the way with my running buddy Sharon a first time Beachy runner. Finished in 7:08:22, which is not my fastest or my slowest Beachy. Just happy that my hamstring got through it.
28/10/2012 at 10:12

Well done for pushing through the pain Tracey!  How did Bernard get on?

28/10/2012 at 10:27
Bernard did 5:08

What time did you do?
Tommygun2    pirate
28/10/2012 at 11:53

Well that was a different experience from the last two years. The wind was howling and it was cold. I actually didn't mind it too much and felt good for the most part of the run. But the wheels came off on the second to last of the sisters where I got cramp in my right calf going down hill. Shook that off only to get cramp in my left calf, this meant the last 3 miles was more of a hoble than a run. Then with 300 meters from the finish I got bad cramp in my right hamstring/muscle. I had to sit down for about 5 mins before I could even get up. oh well managed to finish in the same time as last year.

5hours 19 mins

Big thanks to all the marshalls on such a cold day, thanks to FB and Petal for your encouragement. After yesterday I thought that would be my last Beachy as it was so painful in those last few miles with the cramps and the sideways stinging rain. But today I'm thinking that Beachy is unfinished business so I may be bac for more next year....maybe with better preperation

oh and does anyone know who the ladies in the orange tops were, there were loads of them strung out along the course all walking in pairs and sounded american or canadian

28/10/2012 at 12:38

Another brilliant day out, wind was a killer and finished in 6.27, 40 mins slower than last year but had a great time with my two running buddies. Marshalls were fantastic again and so brave in that cold wind!!!

I only have one very small suggestion and that is maybe more portaloos next year??

Edited: 28/10/2012 at 12:38
28/10/2012 at 13:06

Tracey, well done Bernard!  I did 6:15.

Tommy, the ladies in orange were from New York.  There were 30 of them in total.  They didn't realise how hilly it was going to be!

28/10/2012 at 15:02
Well done everyone..........got that warm post-Beachy glow today and no stifness, aching or blisters which is nice ! Benefits of taking it very slowly I think.

Barbie - must have been running more or less near you most of the time as I finished about 5.10 (ran with a clubmate from Burgess Hill Runners throughout). Definitely on Beachy Head at the same time - in that rain !!

Yesterday was the first time I haven't had the post-race meal. The queue was huge and just couldn't be bothered to wait. Instead had a lovely pint and sarnie at a pub on the way home
28/10/2012 at 16:55

What a fantastic event.  Thanks to all the organisers, volunteer marshalls, everyone behind the scenes.  This was my first marathon and having started running in Jan after a bad injury I was delighted to achieve my three goals: finish it, have fun and avoid injury!  I came in at 5:31 and was very happy with that.  I tripped over a stone on that flinty steep downhill section in the first half and slightly pulled a hamstring but then recovered it until mile 21 when it went into a bad cramp as the (near) sleet came in on a gale force wind! I was sorry for people wearing shorts at this stage as they looked as if they could hardly move...Definitely having another go next year for a sub 5:00  THANKS AGAIN

28/10/2012 at 17:47

HI ALL DID THE BEACHY HEAD MARATHON NO TRAINING PAYING FOR IT TODAY THE SAUSAGE ROLLS WERE THE BEST IVE EATEN PLUS A WELCOME SITE WAS THE TEA URN.

28/10/2012 at 20:43
Oh yes, forgot the cuppa and sausage roll at Littlington. Awesome !!!!
281 to 300 of 329 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.