Beachy Head Marathon

For Saussge Rolls

321 to 329 of 329 messages
29/10/2012 at 14:30

Oooh, so I wonder how many of the non recorded chip times were due to people not following the instructions......??????!!!

29/10/2012 at 14:55

bit unfair really, as there was nothing on here
http://mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publication/ES/cms/pdf/Beachy%20Head%20Marathon%202012%20Final%20Details.pdf

or in anything when I registered on Friday evening to tell me that it had to go onto my ankle. And I didn't hear anything over the tanoy prior to the race!

lesson learnt for next year though, it didn't stop me enjoying it and it's not like I lost out on a winning place

29/10/2012 at 15:01

this is the first time I've had an ankle chip (but you're right, there was nothing to say that it was for an ankle, as opposed to a wrist, say). Usually, they come with ties so they fit onto shoe laces  - at least then you know where they're supposed to go. Once I had a chip that was embedded in the race number, and didn't need collecting at the end. That really was easy to use, though I don't know how well it would work if it was covered up, as it probably would have been in yesterday's weather.

Nice to see you FB: we also met on my first BHM in 2003, I think, when you and Petal were standing  somewhere after the golf course. (If it wasn't you, then it was someone claiming to be you!)

29/10/2012 at 15:19

I thought instructions were on the envelope the chip was in.........anyway, for me Beachy is a race (not even a race TBH, not for me anyway) where I couldn't care less about the time (realise that might not be true for everyone though). AP - agree, the embedded ones are best - Brighton used these last time I think.

29/10/2012 at 15:23

no instructions on my envelope: but I agree, for me as well, time is irrelevant, it's a survival game! Timing me to the second is a bit too much - the nearest hour would do!

29/10/2012 at 15:33

"Usually, they come with ties so they fit onto shoe laces  - at least then you know where they're supposed to go."

I wouldn't say usually - but then I'm a triathlete and all chips used in tri are of the ankle type.   and the company who did the timing mainly do triathlon timing - hence the ankle chips.

I'll drop a note to them (it's run by friends of mine) so they can ensure the BHM organisers do issue instructions in the future.

and AP - no that wasn't me in 2003.  I wasn't at BHM that year

Edited: 29/10/2012 at 15:34
29/10/2012 at 15:48
Old Gwasshopper wrote (see)

Oooh, so I wonder how many of the non recorded chip times were due to people not following the instructions......??????!!!

As I said, it wouldn't fit round my ankle (I did try) and I was joking about having fat ankles, the strap was too

I admit though I did not notice any instructions anywhere but I am not the most observant and I was chatting to someone rather than paying attention to what was going on when collecting my number etc.

It's not necessarily about the time, this hardly somewhere you will set a PB, but it is nice to be on the official finishing list when you have put yourself through an event like this.

29/10/2012 at 16:25

I liked Beachy just as much when they didn't have chips and they just wrote down your number when you finished to the nearest minute.

Personally wouldn't care at all if they dispensed with them and donated more to charity instead or whatever. The straps were pretty short though as you say - mine only just went round the narrowest part of my pudgy ankles (to the extent I checked a few times during the race to see if it was still there)

29/10/2012 at 20:38
Last year it was an ankle strap, but a thicker long one.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
321 to 329 of 329 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.