Beachy Head Marathon

For Saussge Rolls

101 to 120 of 329 messages
21/09/2012 at 14:47

re the hills it seems just go with the flow. its going to hurt whatever i do

21/09/2012 at 15:03

"and five IMs? are you mad?"

the only place I'm mad is outside of the IM world......   anyway, 5 is nothing compared to some who've done many more.  and don't start with the true nutters who do things like decaman (1 a day for 10 days), double-deca (20) and for the 1st time this year (starting soon I think), 30 in 30 days.   they are the real headcases.  

Tommygun2    pirate
21/09/2012 at 15:33

Hey FB are you and Petal marshalling again this year ? I hope so as I would miss the abuse hurling if you were not.

21/09/2012 at 18:03

TG - yep - hopefully usual spot at Lullington Heath and then above the finish line later

21/09/2012 at 20:10

Got a place from a club mate a few weeks ago. Horrible realisation that there's nearly as much ascent in this as in NDW50, but to be climbed (and descended) in half the distance... Must do more hill work!

21/09/2012 at 20:24
I will look out for you fat Buddha
26/09/2012 at 12:07

ok BHM veterans

whats the most boring bit

worst bit

favourite bit

want to prepare myself. I'm kind of familiar with the area, having driven, walked, cycled various parts of the course over the years. Never yet run it though.

02/10/2012 at 11:32

most boring - the track from the feedstation at the top of Bo Peep Hill to the road crossing at High and Over.  it goes on and on and on and.....on. and you pass the 1/2 way stage on this bit which kind of does the head in knowing you're already knackered and you're ONLY 1/2 way.....

worst bit - the long drag, mainly uphill, from the feedstation at Birling Gap to the top of Beachy Head.  it feels a damn sight longer than 3 miles!!

favourite - although toughest - the 7 Bitches.  on the right day, the views are to die for and you know that you haven't got far to go to the end, although those last 6 miles are very hard.  

02/10/2012 at 12:37

Worst bit?  Those blimming steps!  They seem never-ending 

Best bit?  Well almost all of it really.  It's a wonderful route with glorious views 

02/10/2012 at 13:14

thanks for that. i know that birling gap bit is a very nice walk, but maybe not after you've run 13 miles.

Did a quick 45minute run this morning and felt great which was good as I rode 135 miles on Sunday. Heart and lungs feel like theyre nearly ready. Legs felt a little tired, but overall not bad considering.

my online trainer man just did the Barcelona ironman and ran his marathon on 3hr 15. quite incredible after all that swimming and cyling. he did the whole lot in 9hr 33. Hope he doesn't expect the same from me.

Currently really looking forward to it.

02/10/2012 at 14:02
Redhead wrote (see)

Worst bit?  Those blimming steps!  They seem never-ending 

Best bit?  Well almost all of it really.  It's a wonderful route with glorious views 

unless the clouds are down on the tops and it's pissing down - then it's not so glorious....

and the way the weather is at the mo, and has been, I would reckon it could be a trail shoe day.  depends how much more rain comes over the next 3 weeks or so

02/10/2012 at 17:10

damn and i just bought some more road shoes thinking i could get away with it

02/10/2012 at 20:07

Tee hee FB, good point!  One year I got blown over as I was climbing over a stile and when my hubby phoned me he couldn't hear what I was saying 'cos of the wind (I'd forgotten that!).

Trouble I have with trail shoes is on the flinty bits as I have a tendency to slip on them and kiss the earth 

Tommygun2    pirate
02/10/2012 at 20:45

I was looking at trail shoes at the weekend, I think I may purchase a new pair

I agree FB the most boring bit is the bit at around half way. The rest I would say is interesting as various part of the body start to complain for either go up or going down.Best bits are the water/food stations

03/10/2012 at 07:31
Am dreading a repeat of 2009 mud.
03/10/2012 at 08:38

Oh and also beware photographers at the feed stations, especially if TraceyG's lovely hubby Bernard is about as he caught me stuffing a hot cross bun into my mouth one year!

I think I'm going to struggle on the steepest bits this year as my asthma is still dragging me down   Still, there are still 2 and a bit weeks to go so maybe it will have eased off by then.

Edited: 03/10/2012 at 08:39
03/10/2012 at 09:59
Redhead - you can snap Bernard stuffing his face this year.
03/10/2012 at 11:38

redhead have you ever been given Symbicort. I managed to get seen by a consultant a few years ago and got myself on it. Literally transformed my life. Peak flow rate is 50% up and i rarely use my inhaler. GPs gasp that I managed to get it prescribed, but once you're on thats it.

re feed stations can I ask how many there are and what they offer. i have heard rumours of he buns and sausage rolls, but just after some more details.

03/10/2012 at 14:02

feed stations are at (roughly):

• just before Alfriston as you come down from the Long Man
  • top of Bo Peep Hill
  • in Littlington village
  • at Birling Gap
they all have a selection of foods from bananas, Mars bars, buns, etc plus water (maybe High 5 as well?) and the one in Littlington also does tea, coffee, soup plus sausage rolls - usually quite a gathering at this one!!   there's also a mini one run by the Coastguards on top of Crowlink before Birling gap - water and some chocolates.  and there's usually some water just after you cross the road at High and Over - but as you're only about a mile from Littlington it's hardly worth a stop for it.
03/10/2012 at 15:17

Rondo, I have tried Symbicort (I love the name 'turbohaler'!!!) for the last 4 months and it made me feel really grotty so I've just changed to another similar combined thingy and it seems to suit me a bit better.  Thanks for the suggestion though 

I love the feed station in Littlington!

101 to 120 of 329 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.