Beachy Head Marathon

Should be fun!

1 to 20 of 1,097 messages
30/03/2005 at 20:52
Typical - I go to the trouble of e-mailing the race organiser yesterday to confirm how to enter, and I look at the event details again today and spot online entry!

Well, I've paid my money, swallowed my pride and put myself down as a jogger. My best (and only) marathon to date was a 4:10 on a very flat road course. In this race I'm not too bothered about my finishing time - 5:00 or less would be nice. However, this may be a bit optimistic and it seemed from the race info I have that the 'runner' category is most likely to be oversubscribed, so I've been conservative.

We'll see on the 29th - anyone else joining me?
31/03/2005 at 05:45
I Bike round Eastbourne and there are some steep and long hills round beachy head !!

If you are 4:10 on the flat you'll be going some to get sub 5:00 on this one.

Good Luck

Dave
31/03/2005 at 06:53
maybe

IF I ever get an on call rota
31/03/2005 at 19:19
Go on, hippo - I'll put a word in for you. It's perfect - no cut-offs and you can own up to being a jogger or a walker!

david - yup, sub-5 is just an unrealistic 'nice if I get it' sort of target. I'm just out to enjoy this race really.
01/04/2005 at 21:18
Hi - I am trying to find a marathon to enter in Sept or Oct and can't decide if I should go for this one? Just did the Hastings half Marathon which took me 2hrs 15mins with a nice chesty cough, runny nose and sore throat following me around the entire course! I do live on the downs so have plenty of hills to train on, would this be a good one for a first marathon, or bad idea as I have been to Eastbourne and seen the hills! Am willing to train hard for it, but do want to be able to finish? Any advice anyone? Thanks.
01/04/2005 at 22:00
Hi Katie

I would think hard about doing this one as a first timer as it's a tough course.

There is a Marathon in the new forest in Sept time which might be a better place to start ......

I've never done a Marathon as 26 Miles to run seems a very long way even if it were flat with a strong tail wind - I wouldn't go looking to make it any harder especially not for the first one.

Cheers
Dave
01/04/2005 at 22:49
Hi Dave
Thanks for response and advice re. New Forest. Yes i did think was would be bit of a silly idea to go for this one but something to aim for next year, will so check out some of the flater events!
02/04/2005 at 17:59
This event is a real laugh! Forget your watch and enjoy the scenery. Take a camera around with you and run with your friends!

There are no mile markers; just a sign saying you are "about" halfway.

The drinks stations do Mars Bars and soup as well as water and squash. And one station at about 16 miles does currant buns!

That's the sort of event it is! Think of it as a day out rather than a race.

The jacket potatoes, sausages and beans afterwards are good too!

As for the run, it is hard, hilly and (usually) heavy underfoot. You can easily add 40 minutes to an hour plus to your marathon time...but who cares?
02/04/2005 at 18:26
I'm with corridore on this one

Great fun as an event and best done with friends for a day out followed by a huge slap up meal and a few beers...

I fear that if you do it looking for a time you would easily be disappointed...

Most of the folk I know (including 3 hour marathon runners on road courses) have added at least 45 minutes to their usual times on this course and the slower you are on road the more you'll have to add on to guesstimate your Beachy Head time (if that makes sense)

having said that it's a great event to do for a fun day out with running pals - I'll be there again this year !
03/04/2005 at 00:44
this event sounds so good, but I fear I am not quite ready for the challenge of this one, not bothered about time but still think should do an easier one first, however I am definately doing this next year and can't wait! Good luck everyone when you run this one, I have decided to go for the Kent one in Sept. Have fun.
17/04/2005 at 19:27
I'm looking forward to this - it'll be nice to do a race where there's almost zero chance of a PB, so I can just relax and enjoy the currant buns...
17/04/2005 at 19:35
I did Beachy Head in 3:32 last year and Paris lat week in 3:29 so if you like off-road running then Beachy Head's not so unattainable. My favourite event of the year.
20/04/2005 at 13:59
Boing for Hippo
20/04/2005 at 14:42
Got my entry form through the post yesterday so I'll get the entry in soon. I had heard that they're oversubscribed for running places so it's probably worth applying now if you know you want to do it.
20/04/2005 at 14:47
hm
20/04/2005 at 15:00
Ed - that's why I put myself down as a 'jogger'. There's no way I could guarantee breaking 5 hours and I didn't want to take a fast person's place!

Hippo - hm? Sorry but it's a full one, not a half. :-P
20/04/2005 at 15:01
Hi all, I really interested in doing this one, however I have never done a race with check points before so I’m a bit concerned about getting lost, so how well sign posted is the course?
20/04/2005 at 15:01
I dont frequent threads about halves-------much
;))
20/04/2005 at 15:05
Online entry is available, of course. So no excuse for not getting your application in quickly.

Go on, everyone, you know you want to...
20/04/2005 at 15:07
Ghengis - good question. I thought I'd just take it slowly and follow the trail of bodies of those that had set off too fast...
1 to 20 of 1,097 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.