Belfast Marathon 2013

A thread for those running the Belfast Marathon in 2013

21 to 40 of 68 messages
13/03/2013 at 12:38

Tim - so based on that run, you're running somewhere between 10-11.5 minute miles, and a 20 mile run could take you close to 4 hours, which is probably too much in training.

If your target time is 4h30m, then personally I would look to do at least one of my long runs over 3 hours, maybe 3.5 hours depending on how you feel, as I think this would make the actual day more enjoyable if you have this sort of time under you belt. Maybe schedule a 3 hour run so you would finish back where you started and have the option to add on a further 30 mins if you're feeling good.

I haven't taken walking breaks during my long runs, but there's nothing wrong with doing that if it gets you through them and gets the miles in your legs.

13/03/2013 at 16:33

jerseydaniel - Thanks for the advice. I know I definitely need to work on my pace. I'm now thinking about doing the Larne Half Marathon on the 23rd, so the results of that would give me a better idea of what I can achieve in May, not to mention some racing experience which I have nothing of yet!!

13/03/2013 at 17:53
jerseydaniel wrote (see)

Tim - so based on that run, you're running somewhere between 10-11.5 minute miles, and a 20 mile run could take you close to 4 hours, which is probably too much in training.

Actually my GPS watch recorded that I normally run a mile in 8m30s on level ground so I'm probably overestimating a lot about the amount of time it will take me to run that distance :P

13/03/2013 at 19:53

Tim - if you're running 8.5 minute miles, then that's a pretty good pace. If you could sustain that pace for the full marathon, you'd finish somewhere around 3h40m!

I would think about building your stamina, but based on that speed, you'll be doing around 20 miles or more in 3 hours, so with your plan, I think you're well on course for the marathon.

Doing a half on the 23rd will definitely give you a good idea where you're currently at and maybe revise your target downwards!

14/03/2013 at 12:23

jerseydaniel, great to see the map of elevation, really helps to be prepared for the hilly part, and to know the downhill part is right after it...in some ways i find the flat towpath to be the hardest part in the past as it just offers nothing in terms of encouragement or motivation, when you need it most!

Tim - doing that kind of pace defintly sets you up for a sub 4 marathon, im looking at the same kind of time myself if possible, and i would definitly agree that between 3 and 31/2 hours long run would best prepare you for it...any longer i think and you risk injury or burning out, just make sure to fuel+hydrate if you are out for this long running, and personally i would walk for say 30 seconds or so every 5-6 miles while taking a drink, the small seconds you lose taking a drink on will probably equate to saving time at the end from not being dehydrated!

I would also say that the larne half is a great half marathon to do, will be doing it myself for the third time and is a good course and a good marker for where you are in terms of the full marathon, i would race larne as a half and then double it and add maybe 15/20 minutes for a predicated marathon finish,

19/03/2013 at 15:42

Hi Everyone. Just found this site!

I'm running Belfast with my Husband. It's my first marathon but he ran Dublin last October. We're following Hal Higdon's 18 week Novice 2 plan. Did 19 miles on Saturday in 2hrs 47 so slightly lover the 4hr pace. Happy enough though as I only started running last March and up til November had never gone further than 6miles! Would like to do a 4hr Marathon but to be honest I'd be happy just to finish it! Training going well so far.

19/03/2013 at 20:33

Hi runningaway, welcome to the thread!

If you're hitting that sort of time for a 19 mile run, a sub 4 marathon looks possible. As it's your first marathon though, whatever you run will be a PB, and if you don't hit a sub 4, then there's always next time!

19/03/2013 at 20:51

I'd love to get a sub 4 but as it's first I've no idea what Im letting myself into so trying not to put a time on it.

Have a flicker of hope of doing DUlbin in October but one step at a time!

19/03/2013 at 20:52

ooops, I'd a typo - it was 18miles in that time!

19/03/2013 at 21:07

When I did my first marathon, my target evolved from "Completing it and running all the way" to "finishing in under 4 hours" to my final target of "finishing around 3h45m".

On the day, I would have been happy with hitting the first target and the other two would be a bonus...

So I'd say just enjoy it, there can be plenty more marathons where you can go for a time, but you can't repeat the enjoyment of completing your first marathon!

23/03/2013 at 14:17

Hi All,

Do any of you know what Energy stations supply - is it lucozade/powerade(/jellybabies lol...) I know High 5 gels are available at 15 and 20 miles, but unsure what the energy points supply.

Also does it come in cups or bottles this year? I tried looking on the website but to no avail...

Ian

26/03/2013 at 08:48

Euijs it's cups  surprising since RIverrock sponsor it. I can't drink from them so trying to get familiy to travel to give us bottles on the way round!

30/03/2013 at 22:29

itll still be cups im afraid! although it would be quite hazardous having half empty bottles of water strewn accross the roads/paths by runners throwing them away, could end a race for someone! the only issue with cups is throwing it round yourself when running, but does no harm to slow a bit while drinking them...previous years have had powerade at the energy stations, i dont remember lucozade at them,but by that many miles i dont remember much :S

GTC
04/04/2013 at 12:39

Tiny request - if you are doing the Belfast marathon would you please consider participating in my study which you can find on the Spring marathon thread as MSc Research Project requires marathon runners - no electrodes!

It's about using a positively focused self-talk technique to increase your resilience and positive affect (that's the strong positive moods that you can control).

It is straightforward and might just provide an additional tool to conquer the mental aspects of tackling a marathon. Drop me a line if you would like more details.

Cheers.

GTC
06/04/2013 at 10:53

Hello,

I'm doing Belfast again which will be my second marathon and very much hoping for better weather than last year!

Like last year, all my training had been based on 3 runs a week. I really feel I should be doing 4 sessions but especially now I'm into the long runs, I find it takes me most of the week to recover fully from them. It doesn't help that I'm still carrying 1.5 stone more than I should, and I know I'd be a faster runner if I could shift it. I have also been doing a fair bit of off-road running (which I prefer to road) - Tullymore, Castle Ward etc - and the occasional body pump session.

I'm actually about to set off now for a 20 miler round the hillier parts of the course (at least as soon as I can get myself off the sofa )I find it helps me to have a practice because the first 13 miles has so much uphill in it, especially that long 3 mile drag up the Antrim road - turning into Floral Road and the start of the downhill section is always such a relief!

06/04/2013 at 11:02

GTC - I'm happy to help with your study. I'll email you shortly

16/04/2013 at 08:19

How's all the training going?

I did 20 miles at the weekend and felt like I was going to die. I was so disappointed. Up til then my long runs had been going well. I finisihed the 19 miles and felt great after it, just hopped in shower and headed out for the day. While this weekend I was in bits. Very worried now for the big race!

I'm on a 3 week taper. 5, 4, 5 this week and then 12 at weekend. It's starting to feel real - hopefully getting my name printed on my top this weekend so people will know who to scream at to keep moving

16/04/2013 at 22:12

Hi runningaway, i wouldn't worry about your last long run, it will just be the accumulation of all the weeks of training. Just think about how the 3 weeks of taper will refresh your legs and get you set for the day....

My training has gone well, last few weeks have been just over 50 miles each and been hitting the splits on my intervals. I did a 20 mile last weekend too and have a 16 this weekend and 12 the weekend after.

Its the first time i will have followed a proper plan, so will be interesting to see if I can get a PB...

23/04/2013 at 12:22

How many have you done before JD? This is my first so I'm terrified! You're doing great mileage. I'm following Hal Higdons Novice 2. I only started running last March but finding the programme great - well til I got to the 20 miles. DId 12 Saturday and was back on track hopefully.

Finding it hard with the tapering. It's such a gorgeous day here today that I'd love to go for a nice long run but only doing 5 miles today.

23/04/2013 at 16:55

jerseydaniel wrote (see)

Hi runningaway, i wouldn't worry about your last long run, it will just be the accumulation of all the weeks of training. Just think about how the 3 weeks of taper will refresh your legs and get you set for the day....

My training has gone well, last few weeks have been just over 50 miles each and been hitting the splits on my intervals. I did a 20 mile last weekend too and have a 16 this weekend and 12 the weekend after.

Its the first time i will have followed a proper plan, so will be interesting to see if I can get a PB...

My longest long run has been just 15 miles, on 13th April, and it was difficult. It damaged my confidence a bit. Note that most of my training has been done around Ballyclare which by my standards is a hilly town. But then on Saturday 20th April, I got quite a lot of encouragement when I ran from Ballyclare to Ballyboley Forest and back (5.4 miles uphill to the forest) without stopping. 10.8 miles total. It still took me about 2 hours to do though :S

I've just started using High5 Orange Gel aswell which seems ok.

I'm thinking that boredom is a big factor in my runs and it's easy to get fed up doing laps of a park but I've been following my training plan very closely since January. I hope the excitement of the race in Belfast makes a big difference.

21 to 40 of 68 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.