Belper Rugby Rover 30K

anyone done it?

1 to 20 of 60 messages
06/07/2013 at 22:44
Pencilled this in as part of marathon prep. Anyone raced it before? Is it clear or is navigation needed?
07/07/2013 at 08:39

Done it several times. A good event and I've only managed to go slightly wrong once, but that was probably my fault. The course is well marshalled and marked for a long one.

07/07/2013 at 19:34

Thanks Nick. Is there a lot of climbing? I`d heard it`s pretty tough. Think it will be an eod for me if I decide to do it. If it`s as hot as today (I did Spire 10), I`d take the early training run option instead!

08/07/2013 at 10:51

I ran it last year, great event & course, but pretty tough. I am into a 10 week training plan for this year, peaking at a 20 mile run, which still might not be enough to compensate for the hills!

08/07/2013 at 18:00

Yep, quite a few hills and it's listed in the Fellrunners handbook. Having said that it's not a proper fell race, more of a trail / multi-terrain race. Last year it was fairly hot and I seem to remember getting hosed down at the finish ! I would certainly recommend it if you like off road, hilly races.

09/07/2013 at 10:18

That funny, it might have been my Son on the hose, he was having a great time hosing people down at the end.

last year was pretty hot, I struggled in at 3:35 for the 18.5 miles, and ran the Ashby 20, in 2:39,this year, so there's a fair bit of extra effort if you are normally a road runner.

09/07/2013 at 17:33

Thanks fellas. That`s really helpful. It sounds like it would be more than a fair swap for the 20 mile training run I would do instead. Anyone know if there`s any entertainment / stuff for kids to do?

10/07/2013 at 12:50

It starts & finishes at the Rugby club, there is the rugby pitch, with Belper town centre only 2 min's, walk away.

My family drove up to the Bear Pub at Alderwasley, which is about 10 miles in, I think the highest point of the run.

10/07/2013 at 14:17

It's a brilliant race ET and in my opinion one of the best in the country in terms of the overall package. Its a tough race but you will love it and definitley a good effort to race this as opposed to along run.

I always pencil this in first as one of my autumn build up races and is the only race that I'll definitely go back for year after year. So I'll see you there. Oh no, hang on. I won't because my stupid wife has booked a stupid holiday right in the middle of stupid August

Have a good race!

21/07/2013 at 21:55

Is it necessary to wear trail shoes or, if it is dry, will I be ok in my Brooks road shoes?

27/07/2013 at 20:49

Hi all,

moving up to Chesterfield from Berkshire so a soft southerner. Hopefully moving on 9th August so this fits in perfectly with the move and with training for Abingdon & Snowdon in October.  

Just the matter of a few slopes then?! I mean, how hard can it be?  

Recommended to me by Brer. If you read this, i's all your fault I'll be crippled......

28/07/2013 at 09:47

Just about to enter this, but the posts about mud are putting me off slightly.  Only rone one trail run which nearyl killed me, but training for Yorkshire Marathon and upto 18 miles.  Interested to see if trail shoes are needed as I don't have any.

01/08/2013 at 21:30

Unless it's been very wet I think road shoes would be best as there is a fair bit of tarmac & hard packed trails.

03/08/2013 at 17:03

I want to sign in that run on the race day. Do you know how many runners have entered  so far ?

03/08/2013 at 20:56

Thanks Nick.

Piotr - don`t know but pretty sure that this race usually has plenty of space! . . .

Running Postie    pirate
11/08/2013 at 07:50

I've entered,I'm quite looking forward to some hills!

11/08/2013 at 17:30

Just looking for next w/e and this looks brilliant. I don't even pretend to be a competitive runner, more of a tourist who happens to run. I'm guessing the scenery will be glorious, especially from the hill tops

11/08/2013 at 20:55

Chimney.. Tis a doddle now you live in hilly Chesterfield!!

11/08/2013 at 20:58

Hi brer rabbit! I find myself strangely tempted by this. How insanely difficult are the hills on a scale from 1 to 10 given that I am mainly good at flat road races? I notice from my webstalking that there are some quite slow times by quite good runners. That'll just be cos they weren't really trying, right?

Oh, sorry, and also obviously other people (above) who've done it. It's just I 'know' brer from other threads. Also, I don't mind hills that much, just don't want to destroy myself.

Edited: 11/08/2013 at 21:05
12/08/2013 at 09:48

I`m still waiting to see. I`m off to do a longish hilly run (13ish) now and will see how it goes. Going to be a last min eod if I do it.

1 to 20 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.