BERLIN Marathon 2012

Die schnelle ein mit ze Germans, ja?

581 to 600 of 1,828 messages
17/08/2012 at 13:28

TD - 1:47 is bloody good considering the temperature and the problems you've had.  At any rate, it's faster than the PB I'm aiming for in a half in a couple of weeks time, and I won't have (I hope) either of those two things to blame my slowness on.  Loving the shirt - it's loud!

Iain - funny, I was at a wedding in Backwell just outside Bristol last week as well.  Had never been to Bristol, it exceeded my expectations.  Everything I'd read said it was full of horrible post-war buildings, but I thought the area round about the cathedral and the harbourside was lovely.  Very relaxed place.

Got up to 4 miles in tempo last night, 31 mins which was fine, got the shivers afterwards though.  A couple of rest days and then a 19 miler I'm dreading on sunday.  Always try to drag a friend out with me on a bike (none of them are runners beyond about a mile) but they are generally too lazy/unreliable/phased by the weather to come out.  I've resorted to pretending I'm presenting a running programme to ease the boredom... (God forbid)

17/08/2012 at 13:33

Hi all, did someone mention beer? Some large bars: Brauhaus Mitte nr Large Tower, Brauhaus Lemke nr Hackescher Markt, Golgotha in Viktoriapark, Kreuzberg (if open), The bar in Europa Centre.....................

17/08/2012 at 13:41

Blockbuster - if it really is the heel that is hurting, and more towards the underfoot, then yes it would send more like PF. Never had it myself but it is very painful I've heard and troublesome to get rid of. Go cautiously.

Am going to Berlin with a German friend so difficult to commit to any pre or post-race meet ups until i have a better idea if he is planning anything special. LY he was injured but we ended up having a big family meal in someone's house in the city.

Not being able to properly relax and join in with beery celebrations is perhaps one of the most annoying aspects of having to follow a gluten free diet. It seems anti-social to be stood at the end of the bar with your pals and ask for chilled white wine (because very few continental bars serve cider).

On a +ve note, 13.5km for me at lunchtime, in a cool 26C (it's all relative). 1h04 and avg HR was 87%.

17/08/2012 at 14:23

TD I'll have to do whatever i can to still run Berlin and then sort it out afterwards!. I'll get myself booked into physion see what he says. But just got my new shoes today, Asics Gel Kayano 18's, maybe they'll help! This P&D schedule means I wore my last pair out way too quickly

17/08/2012 at 14:49

TD - are you coeliac or is this a health choice?  I went wheat-free 2 years ago this month for health.  No looking back!  I'm not sure about gluten content of beers but can you have some wheat-free beers?  Do they contain other types of gluten?  Chilled white wine post-marathon sounds dire 

17/08/2012 at 15:06

strunner - Coeliac. Found out a couple of years ago. Can't go back. Just a crumb/ drop makes me pretty uncomfortable. You can get rice beers, potatoe beers but the nicest ones are those made from buckwheat. They are quite acceptable but obviously, a very limited range of choices and you never happen to find them on the other side of a bar. I wouldn't ever order a chilled white wine, post-mara or not.

ADG
17/08/2012 at 18:27

getting to the important details...what's the Berlin equivalent of wetherspoons? cheap food and beer 

ADG
17/08/2012 at 21:34
+1 for ADG's idea
17/08/2012 at 21:57

TD - not so good.  Never heard of potato beers, will have a look.

Can't wait to get stuck into German food, love it.  Lots of meat, kartoffel and sauerkraut, not to mention massive German sausages.  Following the marathon, I intend to eat until I feel pregnant.

18/08/2012 at 08:39

Hi everyone, six weeks to go - Berlin will (hopefully) be my first marathon - I say hopefully due to some frustrating knee/ITB issues that have really put a dent in my training. Do you think it's foolish to attempt this marathon if you haven't been able to get in a training run longer than 23km, 2 months before? I really want to get another long run in but am worried it will completely stuff me up and maybe it's better to 'save the legs' for the main event? I've been swimming and spinning to keep the cardio fitness up and the legs as strong as possible, but not sure it's going to be enough to get me across the finish line. Opinions please?

18/08/2012 at 13:09

Hi Margie - cardio fitness gets you to the start line, about 32km into the event. The actual race is just the last 10km. You need plenty of stamina. Your question is really driven by whether you have any time goals in mind and how much suffering you can put up with.

Marathons hurt everybody, even really experienced runners (this will be my 12th start). I am hoping you have been doing lots of ITB stretching exercises? Depending on the severity of the pain, I'd encourage you to try and get 2 or 3 runs in the direction of 30kms before you go to Berlin. But of course, if you are really broken by your pain, that won't work - but not easy to judge from what you've said.

I did a 75k bike ride this morning, cut a bit short by a puncture and will hopefully get out running in the morning nice and early. But so far, I've only managed 21k distance in training. Eek.

18/08/2012 at 16:40

Back from a week in the Lakes, weather ok, only rained on Friday so not bad for up there.

Got some cracking runs in, so that's my hill training out of the way

Ran a flat 20 miles along the Middlewood way this morning,nice negative split and sneaked in under 2.30, that was my 6th on the trot

With only 6 weeks to go I'm going to start my track sessions, to get a bit of speed in my legs. 

ADG
18/08/2012 at 19:27
A few 23 k and try to get a few 30 + in you'll be fine. I had itb a couple of years ago, no running for a couple of weeks then stretched by bending knee and putting my body weight on it.
ADG
19/08/2012 at 09:17

thanks, guys. TrickyDicky, I initially had a time goal (under 4 hours) but now my goal is to cross the finish line! Lots of stretching and strengthening exercises, couple of physio sessions, and much foam roller-ing, massage, ice... can currently get up to 7km without problems but not much beyond that at this stage. Thanks for your advice re/ getting some longer runs in, will definitley do this if possible. Good luck to you all!

ADG
19/08/2012 at 11:16

my itb was fine walking or running up to about 1/4 mile then agony, the description of tooth ache in the knee is about right, once I could stretch it though I found my distances increased pretty easy, I moved up to about 5 mile pertty quick and found if I stopped and streched at 5 mile I could carry on no problem 

ADG
19/08/2012 at 11:25
Hope everyone's had a good run this weekend. Took a runners mental block this morning with no motivation what so ever, been like this for pretty much the last 2 weeks. Over the previous 3 weekends I've ran 2 X 20 miles with a half marathon inbetween. Although I have so far ran 60 miles more than what I did at this stage in the build up to last years Berlin Marathon I only managed 1.16 miles today before I gave up. Any advice on how I can get out of this rutt?
19/08/2012 at 11:48
David - you seem really well prepared. We all have dreadful days. Miss out a few days and swim/go for a cycle instead, then try to get back in track next weekend? The mojo will return. Has this happened before? If so, how'd you combat it?

Today, 25k at 5:45/km pace. Totally gone at the end - where does the next 17k come from? I'm afraid another bonk inevitable at 30k... However, great morning run around Bristol Downs. Beautiful town.

Stay well hydrated guys, very muggy here.
20/08/2012 at 07:19
Got my longest run in since Paris mara in April. A whole 22kms. Which with the 75k bike ride on Saturday meant my quads were shredded yesterday. Having a complete rest day today so the muscles can put themselves back together, but looking forward to some intense training in the coming weeks. I guess it will cool down soon too. It was 29C in my bedroom last night, so I slept in the basement on an air bed, which was lovely!
20/08/2012 at 07:43
David - Iain is absolutely right. You're fit, got the miles in the bag and prepared well. Take a couple of days off, meet some mates, have a beer, do something social. Just forget about running for a couple of days - it really isn't going to hurt your fitness level.

Then mix it up for the remainder of the week. Do you belong to a gym? If not, search out a 'pay per use' gym -local hotels are great for this plus they're not very busy so you can happily spend an hour on the bike without dagger eyes from other users! Perhaps try some aqua running too at your local pool. All these will keep you fit whilst you find your running mojo -within a week you'll be dying to hit the road again I'm sure. Variety is the spice of life!
20/08/2012 at 10:54

So, pubs huh.....

Seems a shame to go all the way to one of the greatest brewing nations and sit in an overpriced faux Irish pub doesn't it. I'm guessing everyone will be near the Mitte so how about one of these...

The Brauhaus, Mitte http://www.brauhaus-mitte.de

Brauhaus Georgbraeu, Mitte http://www.georgbraeu.de

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.